Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Basin Perseids and Hunt

Howdy Folks,

Since last night was the annual Perseid Meteor shower, I decided to spend the night at Gold Basin and then do some hunting this morning. I arrived at GB about 10:45pm and had a great show. I saw several meteors that had multiple pieces and wondered... knowing that most of the debris is the size of a small piece of sand and/or pebble. I didn't stay up late, since I was going to hunt in the morning, so I ended the night around 12:45, seeing only 23 meteors. Some sources said the shower peaked between 1-1:30 am.

Morning came early and the sound of rain on the truck was a nice wake-up call. I started detecting around 6:30 am and finished about 11:30 am. In the five hours of hunting, I managed to nab 5 meteorites. Weights are 0.3, 4.9, 13.0, 28.5, and 47.0 grams. Not too shabby for a half day at Gold Basin. Jason :;):

DSC06104.jpg

I was out watching them too! It was an awesome show. We have cloud cover tonight so no show. I have never been hunting for them, so I do not understand the exceitement of them, but I ove watching them fall. Nature at its finest!

Good job on the finds though!

Aloha Jason,

Nice little collection you managed to nab for a short trip.

We were parked at the Temple Bar offramp till about 3am and managed to see a bunch of meteors streaking across the sky around 1:45AM AWESOME SHOW!

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Jason,

Congrats on some sweet Gold Basin finds! Not bad a all for a 6:30 to 11:30 hunt! A great success in my book!

Sonnysnewlife:

When you do decide to hunt them and you dig up a nice pallasite I think you will be excited to unearth it for its first light in many years. It is also a hoot to see what it will look like right outta the ground and then later cleaned up. You can then look at it in the sun with a loupe and see all the flow lines, thumbprints and olivine crystals, not to mention the fusion crust and other things! It's a good feeling to know you have found something from the heavens that is 4.5 billion years old give or take a year. It is just a hobby like all the different folks have and enjoy. We just chose this one as one of our hobbies and most of us have been successful in one way or another. Maybe one day you can hunt with us and see what you think first hand. I think you will like it. I still get thrilled every time I dig up a new find and I anticipate what it will be and what it will look like. Best to you and good hunting!

Jason, way to go man!

Dean

Jason,

Congrats on some sweet Gold Basin finds! Not bad a all for a 6:30 to 11:30 hunt! A great success in my book!

Sonnysnewlife:

When you do decide to hunt them and you dig up a nice pallasite I think you will be excited to unearth it for its first light in many years. It is also a hoot to see what it will look like right outta the ground and then later cleaned up. You can then look at it in the sun with a loupe and see all the flow lines, thumbprints and olivine crystals, not to mention the fusion crust and other things! It's a good feeling to know you have found something from the heavens that is 4.5 billion years old give or take a year. It is just a hobby like all the different folks have and enjoy. We just chose this one as one of our hobbies and most of us have been successful in one way or another. Maybe one day you can hunt with us and see what you think first hand. I think you will like it. I still get thrilled every time I dig up a new find and I anticipate what it will be and what it will look like. Best to you and good hunting!

Jason, way to go man!

Dean

Dean you may be right. Until then I'll take your word for it

Guys, thanks for the comments. There is a certain thrill to finding them and I think that is half the fun :ROFL: . The other half is to think about touching something from such an "obscure" place such as space. The vast majority will never go there, and we only know what our minds will allow us to comprehend about it :smrt1: . Don't get me wrong, it is hard work and the payoff is finding one which makes it all the better :whoopie: . Cooler temps will definitely make more enjoyable.... Jason :;):

Erik, the rain made it nice for the earlier part of the morning, then one the sun came out from behind the clouds, it made it somewhat humid, but not too bad. I originally was going to sleep on the back of the truck and glad I didn't. Jason :;):