Nugget Shooter Forums

Gorieta Strewn Field

Guest bedrock bob
I am having little success finding details around the Strewn Field for Glorieta. Can anyone give me some help? I want to stop by there on my way west this fall. Appreciate any help you can be.

:laught16::laught16::laught16: There are no details my friend! Anything specific that you can find is surely to be misleading. Just research all the info that you can and look EVERYWHERE except where the info leads you. It will be a cinch! :laught16::laught16::laught16:

The best darn clue anyone has leaked is in that movie posted in this forum. You are not going to get any better than that my friend. I am sure that some people caught hell for giving up that much. Watch that video a hundred times and buy a brand new pair of hiking boots. You will arrive as prepared as anyone has. I am sure that you can just "stop by" and snap up a few pounds of material with no problem!

Either that, or just look at the coordinates that I posted as my location. That is where I started...where Nininger said the first piece was found.

Good luck!

Bob

Now Bob, your sarcastic nature is coming through...the gentle soul has asked an innocent and perhaps naive question...

relicman, perhaps you can get the local cop to provide you with a guided tour, I am sure the tax-payers won't mind him adding that to his private security services that he provides to the neighbors...

Seriously, you are unlikely to get any direct help beyond the things already posted here and other places....good luck

fred

Guest bedrock bob

Yes Fred, I am afraid that my sarcasm know no bounds. Still, it is the best damned advice that anyone is offering on the location of Glorieta, and it is truthfully the exact same method that I used to find the strewnfield. It is the exact method that anyone that I know used to locate the strewnfield. There are a few that got handed the location and I am not talking about those guys. I am referring to the fellows who went out and located it on their own using the available information.

There are specific clues out there that will get you right on the spot, you just need to apply a little detective skills. Those detective skills will come in handy when your search leads to the detectives yard. At that point you will need the phone number of a bail bondsman, and this information can be attained from the yellow pages which can be located in the booking section of the Santa Fe jail. The information in that book is correct and can be relied upon, while the published locations of many meteorite falls are errant and misleading. So in a way, your search for Glorieta will ultimately lead you to the truth, one way or the other.

Bob

There are specific clues out there that will get you right on the spot, you just need to apply a little detective skills. Those detective skills will come in handy when your search leads to the detectives yard. At that point you will need the phone number of a bail bondsman, and this information can be attained from the yellow pages which can be located in the booking section of the Santa Fe jail. The information in that book is correct and can be relied upon, while the published locations of many meteorite falls are errant and misleading. So in a way, your search for Glorieta will ultimately lead you to the truth, one way or the other.

What is the question of legality you are alluding to?

Guest bedrock bob
What is the question of legality you are alluding to?

Glorieta is on private land...all of it. Many just tresspass. It has made for some very hard feelings and the owners of the land are plenty pissed off.

Some have permission on small lots, and some have permission on large areas, but MOST hunters just do it. It is s checkerboard of different owners and even if you get permission it will be on a small worked out patch of ground not more than 10 acres or so. then, most of it has ben hammered,except for the spots you cant get permission at all. The lure of the find has led many deep into private land with no permission.

One of those land owners is an officer.

Fill in the blanks from there.

Hey Relicman, I certainly did not mean to offend you. I thought I gave you pretty good advice. If you are coming out this way P.M. me and we can look at the situation on the ground and I believe that you will understand what I am talking about. No one is going to tell you where to look or the extent of the strewn field. The meteorite is much too precious and it is too darn hard locating it to just give away the secrets that you have spent years finding out on your own. Besides, I could tell you exactly where to put your coil and it would do you no good because you cant get permission to hunt there anyway. There have been several on this forum that have contacted me, made the trip, and found that out for themselves. If after that you are still willing to do what it takes, then you will know aas much as anyone knows when they ground balance the detector in Glorieta for the first time. That and a few months hunting and you will be able to be cagy about the location yourself. I figure that anyone that has spent the time it takes to find one of those has the full right to divulge the location if they want to. I dont know any that will after hunting that hill but you may be the first one, providing you spend the time to locate some material.

I will offer you the same thing as everyone else. I will be happy to hunt Glorieta with you if you come this way. You pick the spot. I will even buy you a beer at the closest bar to the strewn field if you can tell me where that establishment is. With an offer like that you just cant go wrong.

Bob

Good for you Bob...and a very reasonable offer to a newbie; or anyone else for that matter.

I am having a thought here, no, I don't expect an answer from anyone...I wonder if the Big-names are sharing their gps info to approximate the strewn field and the direction of the fall. You know, for the sake of science...and sharing the lucre.

Fred

Guest bedrock bob

YES JOHNNO! One of my faves! Just walk up and down the railroad tracks until you come to the grooves in the rails from dragging that bad boy over the track, then follow the drag marks up the hill to the hole!

Too bad, the hole is well hidden now and those drag marks have long disappeared (for the most part). He who snoozeth, looseth.

It is just a hole now, like all the others. Every hole on the hill you wonder whether a nail, a bolt, or a meteroite came out of it.

Bob

Guest bedrock bob
Good for you Bob...and a very reasonable offer to a newbie; or anyone else for that matter.

I am having a thought here, no, I don't expect an answer from anyone...I wonder if the Big-names are sharing their gps info to approximate the strewn field and the direction of the fall. You know, for the sake of science...and sharing the lucre.

Fred

I know they share it between themselves. darn sure never shared a thing with me. Thats O.K. cause I hide in the trees and get to watch them film their movies and hammer the crap out of it when they go home. If they shared it with the world before a few days NO ONE could hunt there at all.

No one knows the extent of that field. It is big and spread thin. Even if you knew the boundaries you could hunt until you die and not find much to brag about. Giving the locations and extent would yeild very few new meteorites and a heap load of trouble. In some spots the little crap is easy. Hardly a challenge. The big stuff aint easy...hardly possible.

Bob,

Well said!!

MOST of us have spent the time doing our homework and wearing out a half dozen pair of boots in the field hunting. How many days, heck years! did we spend hunting before finding one! Even after that it took me several months and many days to find a second. Not to mention the gas burned. I was never told anything when I first started other than keep hunting you just might find one. Even though, a few swear they told me where to find them. Yeah right. Must be nice to be given the cords from day one, drive to the area and start hunting all in a day or two!!! Even if we were given the cords now it would not be news considering the time and effort spent hunting and now knowing the area. I have shared information with friends who I know have put in many many hours to learn the strewnfield and also have worn out several pairs of boots here.

Hey, I have seen the drag marks while hunting and stood over the dig hole. Your right, it is just a hole now except all the evidence is long gone. I use to hike back in the dark wondering if this was the time I was gonna trip on one of the uncovered holes and knock out a tooth or break a leg. Thanks guys for leaving so many uncovered.

The video....now now, I seriously doubt permission was given by the landowner for that hunt. Of course I could be wrong. In that case so be it. A new can of worms.

Bob, I will pick the next area we hunt or you can if you want but your still buying the beer!!!

relicman777 good luck on your hunts. Hope you find a bucket full! If you have any luck post some pics for us to see. Good hunting.

Dean

Guest bedrock bob
Bob, I just watched that movie...you are so right; it is some rough country. I think you must be part billy-goat. I certainly can't place blame on those that protect their patches...like you said...you did the baking so you gets the pie.

Fred

Fred,

About 80% of the time you hold on to a tree with one hand, and swing with the other. When you get a signal you wrap your leg around the tree so you have a free hand to dig with. When you fall you slide a hundred feet and invariably your coil lead gets around a snag and rips it out of the box. I have ruined 3 coils. If you are not dangling off the side of a steep slope you are probably in an area that a zillion yahoos have hammered well.

Once the snow stops falling in winter it turns to hail about May. Then the ground thaws out. When the hail stops it rains almost every afternoon until fall. Then the ground freezes a foot deep and it starts snowing again. It only gets hot for a couple of months, and it is only a high of about 90 degrees, but it is 8K altitude and the sun will litterally strip the skin right off your neck in the afternoon. It feels every bit as hot as Tucson in August. Then the thunderheads roll down the mountain and the lightning sets in...ALMOST EVERY DAY. When it rains it pours...I am on my second power supply. If the ground is not frozen it is wet and like paste. It builds up on your boots and weighs 10 lbs on each foot. The area gets an average of 20 inches a year

It takes a miracle to get any permission and even if you do you will walk a good mile to get to any kind of "spot". If you are not shivering or soaking wet with rain or sweat when you get there you are not in Glorieta. Then you turn on the machine. For every hour you spend hunting you will spend at least that much in preparation.

Although I live just around the corner I rarely hunt Glorieta. I pass through the strewn field and travel 350 miles or more to shoot nuggets almost every weekend. Dean and I research and hunt almlost every other spot in the state and rarely go to Glorieta. We have both spent so freaking many months stumbling over that place that it hurts. Sure there are meteorites there. I figure I can find a completely new strewn field for the effort that it takes to find a few small specimens at Glorieta. Besides, in this area there are much greater attractions than Glorieta that wont be half the pain in the fanny and expense in broken equipment.

Most folks think this is all BS and we are trying to keep people away. NOT SO! Come on out and take a look for yourself! With this meteorite it is not simply knowing where it fell...That is about 25% of the story. Heck, with a little detective skill you can find that out three different places on the web in just a few minutes surfing. Once you know where to look the real work begins. I will help anyone out with the real work if they make the effort to figure out the mystery. Hell, that was half the fun for me. I would not take that opportunity away from anyone!

Bob