Nugget Shooter Forums

Garrett Gold Scorpion Stinger Metal Detector

Still lookin' at the Whites Gold Master GMT and Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ wonder how the Garrett stacks up...

thanks, Robb

Robb,

I have owned a Gold Stinger and a GMT. The GMT is by far the best for little gold, although I use a Gold Bug 2 which I personally feel is the best. The Stinger found gold for me but it was very hard to keep it ground balanced and hot rocks drove it crazy. I have friends who feel that the Lobo is the best all around machine. It is very good at finding gold, yet I've followed behind them and have gotten that which they have missed. Now to be fair, a lot has to do with the operator. The more you work with your machine the better you become. Try to stay away from the Stinger unless money is an issue as it was for me at the time.

OL'29er :coffeetime:

Bob, I have to say, in my opion, the gold stinger is the worse gold detector they ever made, I'd rather use a coffee can lid on a broom stick than one of those. :coffeetime: :coffeetime: Grubstake

Bob, I have to say, in my opion, the gold stinger is the worse gold detector they ever made, I'd rather use a coffee can lid on a broom stick than one of those. :coffeetime: :coffeetime: Grubstake

Your right on it Grub from what I'm hearing..thanx

Robb,

I have owned a Gold Stinger and a GMT. The GMT is by far the best for little gold, although I use a Gold Bug 2 which I personally feel is the best. The Stinger found gold for me but it was very hard to keep it ground balanced and hot rocks drove it crazy. I have friends who feel that the Lobo is the best all around machine. It is very good at finding gold, yet I've followed behind them and have gotten that which they have missed. Now to be fair, a lot has to do with the operator. The more you work with your machine the better you become. Try to stay away from the Stinger unless money is an issue as it was for me at the time.

OL'29er from what I can see it's splitin' hairs between the GMT an the Lobo with the Lobo in the slight lead..... I'm close to makin' the

call one way or the other...

thanx for the info, Robb

Frank c,

In some conditions the Lobo does have an edge on the GMT. But if one is going to spend the money, I personally feel the GMT is the better of the two.

Grubby,

I know how you feel about the Stinger, I traded a Whites 4900D-Pro for it. I spent 2 months trying to make that Whites work, at least I could get the stinger to balance.

Now I'm very happy and many nuggets richer with my Gold Bug 2.

Frank C,

Warranty, two years for the White's lifetime for the Lobo. Also, a cheaper price, and what I've been hearing from reviews better sensitivity. Hot rocks from the reviews seem to give the GMT fits as well. The GMT was rated a 4.4 on a scale of 5 when the Lobo is rated 4.9

The GMT has a nice display but not neccessary. I'm partial to what seems a really sensitive unit "Lobo" instead of the bling display. I'm not saying the GMT isn't a nice machine but for the $$$ the Lobo seems,for now, like the better machine.

But, I am still doin' the research....

What are your reasons for your love of the Whites GMT?? Inquiring minds wanna know......sell me buddy :confused0013:

Robb

I've run all three, my uncle had a stinger, they had some material from Brandy City Ponds, they call it peanut brittle, because its conglomerate that looks like that, you could rub the coil of the stinger on it, it wouldn't hit, The Gm would and the LOBOST would, we brole it open, and found about 6 little nuggets on the inside of the peanut brittle, Also I had my LOBOST and used for competion hunting, and found after I started nugget hunting, my smallest nugget with the LOBO, rice grain sized, I also found a big hunk at depth, down around a ft. 7.8 DWT crystaine gold, that I sold for 700.00 and since I bought a used LOBO off of Clevengers detectors, for $550.00 it paid for its self. I did find a few bits with the GM but found it hard to keep ground balanced, where as the LOBO ST you only had to pump the coil a couple of times and it was right back. My opion Grubstake

What are your reasons for your love of the Whites GMT?? Inquiring minds wanna know......sell me buddy confused0013.gif

Robb

ROBB my friend, research frank c"s posts for the last 2 years. :headphones: :icon_mrgreen: gold an meteorites is the answer.

Robb,

Listen to the totality of the responses you have received! I have not operated either of the two machines you are asking about, so I'm no help in that respect.

However, in our country, there are two crusty blasts of gas, that I listen to, and they are grubstake and shep. They'll speak it as they see it and with a lot experience. This is not to say, the others that have contributed are not any less knowledgeable or experienced..

As far as frank c's last comment goes, it was factitious statement intended to jack you up... you know: Ha!, Ha!

But,is the Lobo better on quartz gold?............if possible why not bench test different size placer nuggets and and a few quartz gold species.What's more prevelent in your search area,hard rock mines or placer?............Dave

I've run both and the ability to take the control box off the Lobo shaft for chest or hip mounting has a big advantage over GMT one hard wired to the shaft specially if you swing it all day. Lobo is much easier to balance and maintain than GMT, I think the sensitivity is about equal. Some ground the Lobo will be better and other ground its the GMT, both are good machines. The Lobo can balance out a nugget if you aren't careful. If I had to pick between the 2 I'd go with the Lobo, but right now Im satisified with the GB2( a little less depth). I've sold more Lobo's than any of the other 2. All 3, GMT, Lobo, GB2 are great machines, It's a personal choice.

Allen

As far as frank c's last comment goes, it was factitious statement intended to jack you up... you know: Ha!, Ha!

Thanks, Dean

Ha,ha,ha is right if it's ment to jack me up he's wastin' his time..this ain't my first rodeo :innocent0009: I'm sure Franky is a good ol' boy and no harm done...

If someone is gonna call me on something they better be ready cause I just don't talk out of my @$$ when it come to making investments. I'll do the best I can to research and pick folks mind who have been in the trenches.

Robb

What are your reasons for your love of the Whites GMT?? Inquiring minds wanna know......sell me buddy confused0013.gif

Robb

ROBB my friend, research frank c"s posts for the last 2 years. :headphones: :icon_mrgreen: gold an meteorites is the answer.

Frank C

I don't need to read Frank C posts..... you asked a question as to why I like the Lobo better and you got an answer. I backed-up my reasoning with facts. PERIOD. I asked you why you liked the GMT so much and the best you can do is say research Frank C posts :Huh_anim]:

Whatever floats your boat, different strokes for different folks. They are both nice MD I just feel for the $$$ the Lobo is the better machine :icon_mrgreen:

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index...c=12547&hl=

Check this link an click on the sanyo bmp.

This was the begining :coffeetime: of finding gold for me starting in sept 07 -- dec 07 as you can see some of these pieces are what I call "minute" I think I spelled that right , I mean they were so small it took forever to isolate them in my plastic scoop. The first time I scored I got 3 in one day.

Some have no weight on one of my scales because they are so small I have to put a few together to get the digital readout to register a weight.

After learning to find these teeny tiny pieces which are prevalent in my local I was able to start finding multi gram pieces. AS far as the term RICE SIZED goes " hell" rice sized is a nice size to find you can see it easily.

Its like one of the guys said a detector is a personal thing. You will find one that suits you, It may be the FIRST one you get or it may be the FOURTH one.

Great quality earphones are are the second biggest plus.

If I really think about it I believe the GMT probably suites me because of the audio response and the sensitivity, I'm deaf in the left ear an the right ain't really right if you know what I mean.

I'm at the point now after 3 years to invest again in a P.I. soon , AAAHHHH YES I said AGAIN I had 1 new minelab P.I. but didnt keep it very long I was having tremendous problems with my shoulder and could'nt handle keeping it so I went back to the VLF's At that time I chose the GMT. I dont work for Whites or any body that sells em. But the GMT floats my boat real well .

Here's a pic I just took today I threw all my stuff together minus a few pieces of gold an meteorites that I gave away as gifts an snapped a pic to bring ya up to date, The pic doesnt include my fines cause I get those with a drywasher, but you can get a perspective of the progress I made since sept 07 Thats when I started to get into Gold Detecting an Meteorite hunting.

I owe all my progress to 2 men Jim Smaller an Scott my prospectin partner both have become highly regarded friends , 1 prospecting club that I joined, This forum and its members, an a few other forums I frequent.

I hope this helps ya kid as I tried to answer your question with my opinion I guess.

nug2.jpg

I think I need to look up the word "factitious" cause thats a new one on me.

post-562-1248660340_thumb.jpg

post-562-1248660403_thumb.jpg

Frank C

You've been a great help. Being the tenderfoot that I am I need all the help I can get..trust me. Please keep it comin'

I haven't signed on the dotted line yet for the GMT or the Lobo. Either way ya really can't lose...it's like Ford -v- Chevy mmmmmmm I better not touch that one :innocent0002:

As far as factitious..... how 'bout we all keep it to 1 syllable words best we can :icon_mrgreen:

Robb