Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteorited hunting with garret detectors?

Hello to all

:confused0013: i will like to know if anyone hace use the garret scorpion or the imfinium for

meteorite hunting i have many years beach detecting and coint shooting :twocents: and i will like to make the transicion in the future to meteorited hunting! :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks

Hunter;

I see no responses to your question so I will give my opinion.

The Garrett is a vlf made for nugget-hunting and the infinium is a Pi, as I assume you know. Either one should find many of the meteorites found by others on this forum. The key is in how well you know your machines...

You can buy franconia and Gold Basin meteorites pretty cheap; get some and try them on your machines...any midrange vlf or pi will find iron meteorites so you don't need a sample of the various irons. The next thing you need is some books...study and practice and go get them...

good luck

fred

Aloha Hunter18,

Like Fred said, get yourself a small specimen from Franconia and Gold Basin,preferable about a 10 gram piece at least and start practicing with them until you are confident enough to hit the fields. Then like Nike says "Just Do It!"

But I gotta warn you, once you find one you will be hooked for life. Dont say you were not warned later. :laught16::laught16:

Aloha and be safe out there,

Stan aka Kaimi

Guest bedrock bob

I have had bad luck in mineralized ground with the Scorpion. It is a great machine in good ground though and the discrimination is awesome for relic hunting. I dont know how it reacts to chondrites but I would imagine an H chondrite or any iron would scream under the coil. Bad ground screams too, and that was the problem with that machine.

I know a fellow that uses the Infinium and he swears it will find anythng that a ML 3500 will. As far as I know he hasnt found a darn thing with it but that is not a function of the detector, but rather the operator. Again, high iron meteorites would probably be no problem for any detector, but the lower iron specimens are what seperates the sheep from the goats.

I figure unless you are hunting for irons, a magnet and a keen eye are the medicine for meteorites. A lot of chondrites wont make a sound on ANY detector, and even if they do there is no depth to speak of. I am but a babe in the woods though and in some areas your Infinium might be the best thing since sliced bread.

I use a Whites GMII, a Gold Bug, and an SD2100. In my experience, the VLF machines will detect Franconia and Gold Basin chondrites very well, and the SD2100 will barely whisper on them when rubbing against the coil in the very best conditions. Any interference at all and I can not detect them with the SD. On irons the SD2100 is by far the deepest and best choice. This is just my limited experience, and the PI machines have been touted as just the ticket for chondrites...go figure why I cant get one to beep.

Hope it helps man! My advice is to put the detectors in the closet and walk around with a magnet on a crooked stick, drinking beer and mumbling to yourself. It works for me!

Bob

I have had bad luck in mineralized ground with the Scorpion. It is a great machine in good ground though and the discrimination is awesome for relic hunting. I dont know how it reacts to chondrites but I would imagine an H chondrite or any iron would scream under the coil. Bad ground screams too, and that was the problem with that machine.

I know a fellow that uses the Infinium and he swears it will find anythng that a ML 3500 will. As far as I know he hasnt found a darn thing with it but that is not a function of the detector, but rather the operator. Again, high iron meteorites would probably be no problem for any detector, but the lower iron specimens are what seperates the sheep from the goats.

I figure unless you are hunting for irons, a magnet and a keen eye are the medicine for meteorites. A lot of chondrites wont make a sound on ANY detector, and even if they do there is no depth to speak of. I am but a babe in the woods though and in some areas your Infinium might be the best thing since sliced bread.

I use a Whites GMII, a Gold Bug, and an SD2100. In my experience, the VLF machines will detect Franconia and Gold Basin chondrites very well, and the SD2100 will barely whisper on them when rubbing against the coil in the very best conditions. Any interference at all and I can not detect them with the SD. On irons the SD2100 is by far the deepest and best choice. This is just my limited experience, and the PI machines have been touted as just the ticket for chondrites...go figure why I cant get one to beep.

Hope it helps man! My advice is to put the detectors in the closet and walk around with a magnet on a crooked stick, drinking beer and mumbling to yourself. It works for me!

Bob

Thank you all for your reply i guess i will have to find some of the specimen from Franconia and Gold Basin? Fred can you tell me what books shud i purchse i also have a fisher cz70pro i hope this one do much more then the scorpion ! i use the infinium for beach hunting any way ! and again thanks guys

hunter; my personal recommendations for modern books are Rocks from Space and the Field Guide to meteorite hunting, both by O Richard Norton...the pretty picture book by Haag. If you should be lucky enough to find a reasonably priced copy of Ninniger's Find a Falling Star get it read it then send it to me!!!

There are a good number of past posts...full of all types of information if you will look...

Other forum members may have their favorites to add to my list.

by the way, don't expect much from the cz70 for gold or meteorite hunting...it is intended for beaches and parks, mostly...in my opinion..

Fred

hunter; my personal recommendations for modern books are Rocks from Space and the Field Guide to meteorite hunting, both by O Richard Norton...the pretty picture book by Haag. If you should be lucky enough to find a reasonably priced copy of Ninniger's Find a Falling Star get it read it then send it to me!!!

There are a good number of past posts...full of all types of information if you will look...

Other forum members may have their favorites to add to my list.

by the way, don't expect much from the cz70 for gold or meteorite hunting...it is intended for beaches and parks, mostly...in my opinion..

Fred

Thanks Fred On My way to serch this books

if i fing the book on Ninnigers i will let you know

Thanks

Lenny