Nugget Shooter Forums

First Gold Rush Site Disputed!

Thanks Terry, that was interesting. Its amazing how the economy has highlighted a lot of issues in the mining and prospecting industry lately.

Those folks in Georgia totally forget that the first gold rush in the USA was in North Carolina.

"Beginning with the first deposit of native mined gold from North Carolina at the Philadelphia Mint on May 25, 1804, newspapers throughout the country and Europe began reporting on the great gold finds in North Carolina. Each new mine opening, each new find of a large nugget created new stories in the press which attracted speculators, entrepreneurs, mine operators, and miners to North Carolina like iron to a magnet." More Info:

Quite often History is not or may not be what actually happened, but what was recorded at the time. Britannica has this link.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/237388/gold-rush

I studied FrogMick's link. so it may be a matter of semantics as by NC's own admission they talk about the definition of the term "Gold Rush". I think all of the places mentioned in this thread are of historic value though. :twocents:

Quite often History is not or may not be what actually happened, but what was recorded at the time. Britannica has this link.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/237388/gold-rush

I studied FrogMick's link. so it may be a matter of semantics as by NC's own admission they talk about the definition of the term "Gold Rush". I think all of the places mentioned in this thread are of historic value though. :twocents:

Read down the Britannica page offered and you will find the following:

"North Carolina ( in Concord (North Carolina, United States) ) ...emanates from the amicable settlement of a dispute over the site. Concord was founded in 1796, and in 1799 the discovery of the Reed Gold Mine, 10 miles (16 km) southeast, started the North Carolina gold rush. Mining declined by the 1850s. The community became a textile centre in the 20th century, producing a wide variety of cotton goods and hosiery."

This Britannica entry labels it "The North Carolina gold rush".

Britannica for Dahlonega, GA states, "The first major gold strike in North America occurred near Dahlonega, Ga., in the late 1820s." It doesn't state gold rush at all it states major gold strike and major as in size or importance of the gold strike has nothing to do with what the Times story is about. It is only about where was the first gold rush in the United States. It is a chronological question and that is all and early 1800ish is before mid or late 1820ish by up to 20 plus years. It was definitely in North Carolina not Georgia. The Georgia towns should be debating over who had the second gold rush in the United States.

Going back to the link I posted earlier the following is what I quoted earlier with more added. This is the description of the first gold rush and the first producing gold mine in the United States.

"Beginning with the first deposit of native mined gold from North Carolina at the Philadelphia Mint on May 25, 1804, newspapers throughout the country and Europe began reporting on the great gold finds in North Carolina. Each new mine opening, each new find of a large nugget created new stories in the press which attracted speculators, entrepreneurs, mine operators, and miners to North Carolina like iron to a magnet. Many farms were sold to speculators who had no designs on farming but who had visions of striking it rich as mine operators. Some farmers sold the mineral rights to their property to entrepreneurs who would mine for gold along the streams on their farm while the farmers stuck to their specialty - farming. Miners came from or were brought from all parts of the country, Mexico, South America, and Europe. There is documented evidence of some resentment and animosity towards these foreigners by the local population that sometimes resulted in violence. None the less, the "rush" was on!

Perhaps the best way to get a taste of the mining industry that developed in North Carolina is to take a quick look at a few of the more than one hundred plus mines that operated in the state at various times. But first lets take a brief look at the over all impact of the mining industry in the state. By the peak in the 1830s and 1840s there were as many as 56 mines operating simultaneously in North Carolina. There were also an estimated 25,000 people employed in the mining industry which led to the creation of many new "boom" towns in the state to support the growing industry. Until 1829 North Carolina was the only state producing domestic gold for our nation's coinage. Virginia and South Carolina made their first shipments of gold to the Philadelphia Mint in that year and Georgia followed in 1830. Still North Carolina remained the largest domestic producer of gold until surpassed by the new finds in California in 1848."

Yeah....um...Thanks, I read that. I fail to see why you reiterated it, but perhpas you thought I was dsagreeing? Please let me know where I disagreed? Sorry FM, but i was just offering another link and I stated that there is all kinds of history and some of it may not be recorded correctly.

I was wondering if this forum was only for grumpy old men? :laught16:

Actually both of you have made some good points.

I have to agree with FrogMick about the first USA gold rush being in North

Carolina.

Sonny made some real points about history being skewed too. Georgia is

famous for re doing their true history and hiding facts. There was not really

a gold rush in Georgia,but more of a calculated take over. It was one of the

biggest and one of the most crooked land grabs by the federal government

in history. The land the gold was discovered on was not Georgia or the USA

at the time of discovery. It was the Cherokee Nation and recognized as a

separate nation.

If those two places in Georgia checked the facts ,they may not want to brag

too much. Using deception and mass genocide to steal land and gold from

the rightful owners ain't nothing to brag about. Andrew Jackson set the wheels

in motion to steal the land after gold was discovered. The actual date of gold

discovered at Dahlonega is 1828.

If that feller with the map had of really done his research he would know

the Creek nation was in Southern Georgia.

Thankfully all of the original documentation of federal treaties,letters,bills

and documents still exist. So if a person digs a little he doesn't have to

swallow the propaganda written for tourists and feel good types.

Sawmill it doesnt end with Georgia, History all over the world was either lost to recording or changed to suit the needs. No not all, but certain subjects. My point to FM was and still is that all points of history whether they are accurate or skewed are interesting none the less. "As I am not worth answering", I would hope he would at least read this and realize that not all older people are set in their ways or believe everything they are told. As an older person, I try to learn all the tme and I am always open to new and fresh concepts, even if they are about History.

I am curious as we are writing history right now, just how much of it will be changed to suit the needs.

Sonny

I had ancestors on both sides of the Georgia gold thing.

I agree history is very interesting,but it has been changed,smoothed over,

spun,lost on purpose, and shredded ,for one reason or the other since since

people have been on the planet.

I think the people that wrote most of the history books we used in school

also wrote those old dime novels too. :laught16:

Can I ask all of you, does this matter as to a "starting point" of a Gold Rush? I must admit, I did not read all of the replys here but.....why is this pertinent? Discovery, be it time and place can be disputed, but who really gives a darn. What was found in NC and Georgia, was nothing more than a "Preamble" of things to come in California, North and South Dakota, Alaska, Colorado.....and other States!

Who gives a "rip" about time of Discovery.....I sure don't. Maybe I read this wrong.....let the bleeding hearts "as in a "news" applications, fill me in further.

Who really cares.....as to firsts!

Gary

GotGold

Read the whole thread starting with Terry's link.

It is just about historical trivia ,that sometimes may not be real facts.

FrogMick kind of blew a hole in the theory of two Georgia locations claim

that they were the site of the first USA gold rush. He is right because the

dates of all three discoveries are well documented.

The rest of the discussion is just that you can't always believe what some

people claim ,to be the real historical facts. So it pays to research and dig

a little to find the real truth.

Actually the first gold rush started when Captain John Smith constructed

the first pay toilet at Jamestown. :laught16: :laught16: :laught16: :laught16:

Sonny

I had ancestors on both sides of the Georgia gold thing.

I agree history is very interesting,but it has been changed,smoothed over,

spun,lost on purpose, and shredded ,for one reason or the other since since

people have been on the planet.

I think the people that wrote most of the history books we used in school

also wrote those old dime novels too. :laught16:

Sawmill thats is what I was eluding to, in my previous post. Sometimes the real History was an inconvenience to the poliies of the times. So it can be as you put it "smoothed over". I totally agree. Without getting too far into it on the Gold Nugget shooting area here, many schools across America arent even teaching History anymore, at least not like you and I had it. Not because its wrong though, for a far more insidious reason. But nuff said.

I actually agree with FrogMick that NC is probably closer to the truth for the first gold rush, geographicaly it would make more sense too, as it is closer to the first settlements. But who knows? We were not there and the record keeping of the day wasnt the best and......greed motivated by Gold can "skew" the facts.

Can I ask all of you, does this matter as to a "starting point" of a Gold Rush? I must admit, I did not read all of the replys here but.....why is this pertinent? Discovery, be it time and place can be disputed, but who really gives a darn. What was found in NC and Georgia, was nothing more than a "Preamble" of things to come in California, North and South Dakota, Alaska, Colorado.....and other States!

Who gives a "rip" about time of Discovery.....I sure don't. Maybe I read this wrong.....let the bleeding hearts "as in a "news" applications, fill me in further.

Who really cares.....as to firsts!

Gary

Well half of me agrees with you Gary, it is not pertinent to any of us except only as a conversation piece. The other half of me (the half with the History degree) has great interest! Dos it still matter? Nope I agree, but historians are constantly updating the "truth" or what they thought the truth was.

But....it aint gonna help you fill your drywasher! :laught16:

• 2 weeks later...