Nugget Shooter Forums

"Braving the Basin..."

Howdy Gang,

So I needed a quick meteorite fix, since I haven't been out in a while and decided to give Gold Basin a go, since the temps were supposed to cool in the morning. There was a light breeze most of the early morning and the honey bees were seeking water where ever they could. I managed to hunt until 11:00, then called it quits. Ended up with six meteorites, weights are; 0.9, 3.0, 5.7, 8.1, 41.3, and 48 grams for a total of 107 grams.

DSC06032.jpg

DSC06026.jpg

DSC06035.jpg

The first three... Jason :;):

Aloha Jay,

Nice going for a short time guy. :whoopie:

I would have gone out too but thought the weather would turn for the worse since last nite we got hammered with thunderstorms and flooding in my area of Vegas. Didn't feel like trying to wade out of Gold Basin. May end up going out next weekend tho as it looks like it will be ONLY 102. May need to take a jacket since it will be so cool. :WOW:

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

BTW: Real meteorite hunters dont need no stinking background. :confused0092: We just look at the pics of the ground and know where Jayray hunted. :unsure: :spinnin:

Frank, I'm a nice guy, here is where I was at... :innocent0009:

100_2200.jpg

Stan, the weather wasn't bad, except for the lightning, high winds and dust storms, bees, spiders, and temps, but over all a great day.

DSC06000-1.jpg

DSC06008.jpg

Ben, I agree. That heat really whips my butt, but then again, I guess I need a good butt whipping now and again.

Jason :;):

Aloha everyone,

Looks like next sat/sunday might be nice enough to get out to gold basin. Am getting new belts and hoses installed today in preparation for the trip out there, so keep an eye open for a blue jeep guys.

I wonder if I leave a BP and J sandwich coated with a little honey for the bees near my jeep if they will leave me alone? :hmmmmmm: May be worth a try. Will let you guys know if it works.

Nice shot of a rare Rainbow you got Jason! You do know that them rainbows are "Special markers" for us Hawaiians. Now all I have to do is go to that spot where the rainbow touched down and I should find me some nice specimens. :nutty:

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Jay, that pic goin into Dolan Spgs does'nt look too inviting. I'm wondering if the basin got any rain the past couple of days ??/

Stan I'll keep lookin for yer posts if you are going next weekend I may join you. My other half will be away SO the mouse might PLAY !!!

Fred, sure was and worked just fine. I was beginning to wonder if it was working, because I didn't find anything the first hour, but moved to a new location and started hitting them.

Thanks again

Frank, yeah it rolled in as I was heading towards DS. At first, I though it was from a massive down pour, but then ran into it.

Stan, the lightning was the major factor, and I stayed out of it's way. I was hoping it didn't rain, because I didn't want to get stuck in some of the spots I was driving too.

An interesting thing that happened Sat. night, I was in a spot and surveying the surrounding area with a head lamp, sitting in the truck and noticed a shining light pointing back at me. It was pretty crazy, then the object started to move. Thinking it might be a scorpion, I kept the light moving towards me and the object followed. Soon it was up close enough to see what it actually was, and low and behold it was a spider about the size of a large pill bottle lid. The light was reflecting off the spider's face, I guess. It wasn't a tarantula but maybe a wolf spider or something else. So, I lead the spider back out into the desert and away from the truck. Pretty funny...

Jayson, Nice finds man!!! :whoopie: Ya, I bet it was hot, I spent the day worken on my explorer trannie (no forth gear :angry-smiley-010: ) and was french fried, I was thinken I was glad not to be in Gold Basin today. I was also thinken that a piece of card board for fanning and spritzer bottle should be added to the gear, if not for me, then for someone else turning pitch red and going over backwards. Excellent work!!! Say Cool !!! Clifton

Clifton, I had a "Mr. Mister", but didn't use it because of the honey bees. They were every where seeking water. I kept moving, but they kept swarming, so I tried to move to different spots. That worked for a few minutes but then they came back. Not sure if bug spray would have worked, but I figured I was only going to hunt 11:00 anyway, so I'd have to deal with them.

Jason, one "trick" I learned the hard way is to open a can of sugary soda pop, like Dr. Pepper, and place it well away from your hunting (and parking) areas ...The bees will go there and generally leave you alone...

I learned this by leaving a Dr. Pepper open on the consul between the seats of my pickup while out hunting...When I came back to the truck, there was a huge ball of bees all around the can ...I waited for a while in hopes the bees would leave, but more kept coming...Finally I opened all my doors and gently poked a stick down into the can...Moving very slowly, I picked the can and ball of bees up and carried it about 50 feet away and gently sat it down...The bees were fine with that and I was able to leave without a problem...Was kinda scarry :WOW: ...Cheers, Unc

Uncle Ron, I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I go back down there. :escape:

Erik, thanks for that. Just takes some time to tune my "outta tune" ears. What did you say... Jason :;):