Nugget Shooter Forums

Another Fireball

Here is the info from Space Weather:

COLORADO FIREBALL: "A fireball of magnitude -10 (about 250 times brighter than Venus) lit up central Colorado at 2:28 a.m. MDT on July 13th," reports astronomer Chris Peterson of Guffey, Colorado. "It was very slow, lasting at least 5.5 seconds." Triangulating sightings from Colorado and New Mexico, he estimates that the meteoroid was "only 50 km high and traveling about 15 km/s. The fairly low altitude and low velocity mean this fireball might have produced meteorites."

http://www.spaceweather.com/

Jason :;):

This slow, bright fireball occurred at 2:28 AM MDT over central Colorado. I have not received any witness reports.

Data has been recovered from the following cameras:

Cloudbait (details, video)

Tom Ashcraft's camera in New Mexico.

The image at left is from the Cloudbait camera. The meteor produced a long trail, gradually brightening to about magnitude -10 (the Moon, seen at the bottom, is about magnitude -11). Several small flares of light are also seen along the path. The fireball lasted over 5.5 seconds.

Based on the camera data, I have determined that the meteor began over south central Colorado, and descended to the northeast, ending near northwest Colorado Springs. It reached its peak brightness at a height of about 50 km (31 miles) near Cripple Creek. I don't currently have sufficient camera data to determine the descent angle.

The fairly low altitude and low velocity (16 km/s) mean this fireball might have produced meteorites. However, the brightness profile is suggestive of a meteor which simply burned up.

Jason :;): (This is the information from Space Weather.com more info...)

I saw a fireball last night while observing the sky with telescope. I was dialing my scope in to jupiter when I saw a fireball heading North East from Oakdale CA. Fireball lasted between 5 to 7 seconds, it was quite a site.

The time wad between 11:20 to 12:20am.

Here is the info from Space Weather:

COLORADO FIREBALL: "A fireball of magnitude -10 (about 250 times brighter than Venus) lit up central Colorado at 2:28 a.m. MDT on July 13th," reports astronomer Chris Peterson of Guffey, Colorado. "It was very slow, lasting at least 5.5 seconds." Triangulating sightings from Colorado and New Mexico, he estimates that the meteoroid was "only 50 km high and traveling about 15 km/s. The fairly low altitude and low velocity mean this fireball might have produced meteorites."

http://www.spaceweather.com/

Jason :;):