Nugget Shooter Forums

Have you ever seen gold splat

Friend of mind just stopped by to show me 3 sm nuggets he just found in a stream in NC. They are about the size of a split pea half or a bit smaller. I didn't get a chance to photograph them but they look globular like solder globs. They are natural not man made but come from an area that may have had a volcanic eruption into a gold vein, remelting and blasting out the gold. Have any here found this type of gold? If I get photo's next week, I'll post some. The fellow also said the quarts also looked melted into the host rock and the creek has a lot of blue clay, which would be slate around here if it were compressed by time.

Thanks Wyndham

Veins and reefs of gold-bearing quartz can occur in many types of rock, for example around granites, in volcanic rocks or in regions of black slate, but in most cases these host rocks are not the immediate source of the gold. I was wondering if the gold was found around the Eagle Creek area? Perhaps around Maggie valley?

I used to summer up there as a kid and my great uncle told me stories of this type of gold.

:icon_mrgreen: Nuggets are like women--they come in all shapes,sizes,configurations,purity,crystaline,globulated,sheeted and I LUV'M ALL-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

My first view of this was about a month ago when this fellow was given 2 pieces to check out. My first comment was they looked like solder table blobs.Then later he showed me the 3 that he found. I kept telling him that he needed someone to help him out of the creek if he fell or tripped over a space ship. No luck but he's gone this weekend to try some dredging and I'll see him for coffee at the cafe in the morning.

I've seen a fair amt of gold from this area (the uhurrie(SP) slate belt ) near Star-Bisco NC. It's a long slate belt part of the Reed Gold mine about 40 + miles away and this gold looks so different, I was skeptical but it's real.

He's going to bring some of the local rock back for me to look at...gees.

Theres a layer of blue clay/mud as well and I suggested he try to get a sample below that area as well. Interesting stuff.

Thanks guys

Here in Mariposa, Calif. if you find slate and it has BLUE clay in it, your going to find gold, I have a creek just a block from my house, Mariposa Creek, and when it has water in it if you go down and split the slate open and remove the blue clay, it will have gold in almost ever pan. sometimes big gold. But for the most part its little stuff. But gold it is. Grubstake

Thanks Grubstake, do you think the blue clay is volcanic ash or sediment trapped by volcanic ash that make slate, Just wondering.

Sometimes here someone will split the slate and wash between the layers but thegold is almost too fine to see. Too much work in that. I like potato patch size nuggets :innocent0009:

BTW the SKUNK got my buddy yesterday and being the young :laught16: fellow he is, he's paying for it today.

Later Wyndham

Blue mud is usually organic material and iron sufites. I havent read anything about it being of volcanic origin. It is often related to deep sea sediment. I would also think that if it was made up partially of organic materials, any volcanic introduction would burn those off?

Guest bedrock bob
Blue mud is usually organic material and iron sufites. I havent read anything about it being of volcanic origin. It is often related to deep sea sediment. I would also think that if it was made up partially of organic materials, any volcanic introduction would burn those off?

The gold in the Caballo mountains is often "drop shaped". It even has little tails on it like the top of an ice cream cone. Definitely formed as molten "splatters". It is found in rich reworked gravel. It is found with "wheat nuggets", pieces that were pounded flat but then roled into rice sized "burritos". The mid sized pieces are mostly the rolled up flakes, the larger sized pieces are the solid slugs that look like polished "shot" and the small flakes are mostly flat and pounded thin. I have heard many different geologist try and explain this and they all give different explanations. the old timers say that it blew out of "Bat Cave" as a volcanic spew...undoubtedly the idea is based on the shape of those drop shaped slugs. No free gold veins have ever been found in the area, but there is plenty of good placer.

There are several spots here with layers of "blue mud". Rhyolite tuff that is pale blue in color. Indeed volcanic ash. Copper and chlorine is what makes our mud blue, or so I am told. Blue caliche on the other hand is often LOADED with placer gold and our richest deposit is in blue claiche buried under 40 feet of volcanic pyroclastic mud flow in the Animas (Hillsboro) district. Pale bright sky blue claiche cementing tertiary gravels in an ancient buried layer. Fossil placer.

The gold in the Caballo mountains is often "drop shaped". It even has little tails on it like the top of an ice cream cone. Definitely formed as molten "splatters". It is found in rich reworked gravel. It is found with "wheat nuggets", pieces that were pounded flat but then roled into rice sized "burritos". The mid sized pieces are mostly the rolled up flakes, the larger sized pieces are the solid slugs that look like polished "shot" and the small flakes are mostly flat and pounded thin. I have heard many different geologist try and explain this and they all give different explanations. the old timers say that it blew out of "Bat Cave" as a volcanic spew...undoubtedly the idea is based on the shape of those drop shaped slugs. No free gold veins have ever been found in the area, but there is plenty of good placer.

There are several spots here with layers of "blue mud". Rhyolite tuff that is pale blue in color. Indeed volcanic ash. Copper and chlorine is what makes our mud blue, or so I am told. Blue caliche on the other hand is often LOADED with placer gold and our richest deposit is in blue claiche buried under 40 feet of volcanic pyroclastic mud flow in the Animas (Hillsboro) district. Pale bright sky blue claiche cementing tertiary gravels in an ancient buried layer. Fossil placer.

Well that would make me think that different shades of blue mud, would be made up of different things. But can blue caliche, we categorized as blue mud? I ask because again from what I have read Blue mud is made up of deep sea sediment. Now this started out by talking about North Carolina. So it makes me wonder about the age of the blue mud Wyndham is talking about and whether it came from long ago when the ocean was there? I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about not just gold bearing areas, but the type of ground that is there. Can you or perhaps Reno Chris recommend any good reading on this?

Thanks in advance

Guest bedrock bob

Man there is no blue mud down there, because there is no water. So I would say the main constituent in blue mud is blue water! What else it is made up of I could not say, and there is caliche within 100 yards of that rich deposit that has excellent gold and is as white as a sheet. Another 100 yards the other way there is blue caliche that is as barren as Hillary. Go figure. I am not sure that HERE the color of the caliche means anyhthing, except that the blue caliche was the best, in the spot that it was the best, and in that spot it was BLUE.

As far as being a sea bed it is not...an ancient "bog" or swamp where the sediments from the mountains came to rest a very long time ago, was covered by a lava flow (mud and gravel), and then solidified by time. At least that is what the geologists say.

I gave up a long time ago on geological gold indicators. They may help some folks out but for me it is knowing where the old timers worked and expanding on what they did. And hours and hours of listening to that howling machine and digging rusty crap. Most of the placer here is not derived from existing lodes or existing geology anyway. I do recognize different colors of reworked gravel and caliche layers though. What they hold besides gold is not an indicator to me because I am just not that geologically savvy.

Bob

Man there is no blue mud down there, because there is no water. So I would say the main constituent in blue mud is blue water! What else it is made up of I could not say, and there is caliche within 100 yards of that rich deposit that has excellent gold and is as white as a sheet. Another 100 yards the other way there is blue caliche that is as barren as Hillary. Go figure. I am not sure that HERE the color of the caliche means anyhthing, except that the blue caliche was the best, in the spot that it was the best, and in that spot it was BLUE.

As far as being a sea bed it is not...an ancient "bog" or swamp where the sediments from the mountains came to rest a very long time ago, was covered by a lava flow (mud and gravel), and then solidified by time. At least that is what the geologists say.

I gave up a long time ago on geological gold indicators. They may help some folks out but for me it is knowing where the old timers worked and expanding on what they did. And hours and hours of listening to that howling machine and digging rusty crap. Most of the placer here is not derived from existing lodes or existing geology anyway. I do recognize different colors of reworked gravel and caliche layers though. What they hold besides gold is not an indicator to me because I am just not that geologically savvy.

Bob

Yeah no water here for sure. Its dry as a bone and they are saying the monsoons have stopped. So we got all of about a week of it.

Now the bogs make sense and that then lends to what I started out saying was that blue mud was organic based with iron sulfites. At my age and late start I probably wont be geologically savvy either. But as Beth and I move around the country in years to come, it would be interesting and perhaps fruitful to know the geology of any given area. I agree if you want to find gold, fllow the oldtimers, follow the dry washers. Its the same with mountain paths, usually the paths are there because it is the easiest and safest way through those mountains.

By the way.....seems your much calmer the last few days...something is missing.....oh yeah.

Guest bedrock bob

Yes, it seems that I have a void in my life now. With Eldorado busy queefing good beer on a true expatriot I have a lot of time on my hands. I am sure that he misses our banter too, the big lug.

Hey, did you see the photo of him holding his big nugget? The gold is beautiful! What a find! He looks like a toilet brush with a grin. Which end does he wear his hat on? And why?

Actually I really admire the dude. He is a little off the deep end but I agree with his philosophy most of the time. It is just all that tough talk and BS that gets me going. Guys like him give guys like me a reason to be. A few minutes and a couple of pair of boxing gloves and we could be good friends.

Not the kind of friends that he and Garimpo are...You know...just friends.

Bedrock Bob

Yes, it seems that I have a void in my life now. With Eldorado busy queefing good beer on a true expatriot I have a lot of time on my hands. I am sure that he misses our banter too, the big lug.

Hey, did you see the photo of him holding his big nugget? The gold is beautiful! What a find! He looks like a toilet brush with a grin. Which end does he wear his hat on? And why?

Actually I really admire the dude. He is a little off the deep end but I agree with his philosophy most of the time. It is just all that tough talk and BS that gets me going. Guys like him give guys like me a reason to be. A few minutes and a couple of pair of boxing gloves and we could be good friends.

Not the kind of friends that he and Garimpo are...You know...just friends.

Bedrock Bob

Boxing gloves are too much work sometimes......10 paces turn and fire. But I was just baiting you anyway. I have agreed with both on many may occasions. But this is for another section of the forum. I spent a lot of time in NC as a kid and the stories my great Unc stuck with me. I wandered the smokies as a child and I did that alone. I wasnt into prospecting back then though. I always wanted to go back, but time flies.....I'll make it yet. I spent a lot of time in Kentucky too. Used to hunt Ginseng and sell it after I dried it on my dash board. I have an opportunity to do so again and thought about combining passions.

Guest bedrock bob
Boxing gloves are too much work sometimes......10 paces turn and fire. But I was just baiting you anyway. I have agreed with both on many may occasions. But this is for another section of the forum. I spent a lot of time in NC as a kid and the stories my great Unc stuck with me. I wandered the smokies as a child and I did that alone. I wasnt into prospecting back then though. I always wanted to go back, but time flies.....I'll make it yet. I spent a lot of time in Kentucky too. Used to hunt Ginseng and sell it after I dried it on my dash board. I have an opportunity to do so again and thought about combining passions.

Naw, boxing gloves are just the ticket for good guys. Somehow a few good swings and it all makes sense. I am saving my bullets for a target. Finding one is the tough part and old E.D. is certainly not on the list. I think of him as a friend. It dosent mean he is not a PIA but definitely not someone that I wish any malice or harm. I would stick with him in a fight any day. I just wish he would not be so darn obnoxious when he disagrees with someone...Especially me.

Ginseng huh? We have Osha here, and it is much the same. It is the best cough medicine in the world! Very valuable and the country in which it grows offers a lot of other opportunities. It pays to know a little about everything when you are out!

I "wandered the Smokies" myself for a few years but it clouded my mind. Started me wondering about the blue caliche. Had to quit many years ago. Dried it on my dash board. Always wanted to go back but wound up in Kentucky instead. Maybe some day I will go back, but I cant find my keys.

Bob

Morning guys, interesting thread. I never thought there would be that much diversity in the "Blue Mud".

Well NC in this area was part of an inland sea or something like that. The sandhills are only about 20 miles east and the slate belt was a swampy area that dried and compressed to slate. Some areas the gold/quarts intruded into this and also Rhyolite tuff. I don't know if it occurred when the slate was mud or hard slate.

There's several lost ledge stories that deal with a gravel bar in the stream bank with large nuggets found and lost in the area. If those have any truth to them, it looks like the same kind of thing as the Calif ancient river channels buried, uplifted and buried again but on a smaller scale. That's where the bluemud/slate may come into this timeline.

Anyway you can, keep beeping. Wyndham