Nugget Shooter Forums

Modifd. bluetooth headphones

alexnz

Hi everybody.

Been reseaching about Bluetooth Headphones and read post's from 'Bill Southern', 'SGTFDA', GoldGuru' and 'Irsafari' on this forum about them having bought 'Macally's Bluewave' and 'Logitech Free Pulse' in 2007.

I was wondering how they have held up, cause there have been some reviews on 'AUDIO Forums' on the Macally's saying they loose syncronisation after a while and need to be send to the factory to synchronise again.

I looked at the Macally's because they have replacable batteries and i could use them when i go for multi day missions while the Logitech can't be recharged in the back country (away from car....).

However, because of the above mentioned issue with the Macally's synchronisation (if it has been proven over time to be true), i thought i would bye the Logitech, then take the lithium recharble batteries out of the headphones and transmitter (unsolder) and replace them (or mount the new batteries on the headband....) with recharchable batteries (2 AAA batteries?) or lithium replacables (and put a hinge onto the headband and padding while i am at it....)

Has anybody had a look inside the logitech phones and transmitter and seen or tested what voltage they both run on so i know IF they can be replaced with recharchables (or lithium....).

Or has somebody found a different bluetooth headset that uses replacable batteries and is in the equal price range as the Macally's and Logitech (and have held up over time...)

Thanks for your help, AL.

I'm useing the ransmitter off of the logitc, and Sony bluetooth phones. Its easy to get them to sinc. The battery is not one of the lith button batteries, its a special made flat and square battery. Mine last all day. I think the voltage is around 3.2 and the chatger is 6v. I had trouble with the logitech,headphones, they kept turning off if you did not have a continuos signal or sound. But I found the sony bluetooth and since the tranmitter on the logitech would sinc with any blue tooth heaphones it works great. Grubstake

The sony headphones are model # DR-BT22 And are around a $100.00 No matter what brand you buy, make sure it comes with a transmitter.

I still use the Macally's but only on my coin detector. I don't care for them with the Minelab. They held up so far with no issues.

Mine took a crap soon after getting them and I went back to my Koss.... I really am not bothered by the wires.

I use Koss too. I dont mind the wires, except for the first few signals. I get rather excited and darn near strangle myself. But after a day of trash (still virgin), I remember not to yank my head when laying down my detector. :headphones:

But my Koss work really well

I'm useing the ransmitter off of the logitc, and Sony bluetooth phones. Its easy to get them to sinc. The battery is not one of the lith button batteries, its a special made flat and square battery. Mine last all day. I think the voltage is around 3.2 and the chatger is 6v. I had trouble with the logitech,headphones, they kept turning off if you did not have a continuos signal or sound. But I found the sony bluetooth and since the tranmitter on the logitech would sinc with any blue tooth heaphones it works great. Grubstake

The sony headphones are model # DR-BT22 And are around a $100.00 No matter what brand you buy, make sure it comes with a transmitter.

Thanks 'grubstake', good (or bad...) to hear also what you have to say about the Logitech, cause that saves me the same hassle you had, good on you....

I do need replacable batteries however cause i do trips into the whopp whopps for 2/3 days detecting and there is no way to charge the batteries.

I will have to ask around to see if the 3.2 volt can be substituted with 2 AAA lithium replacables (=3 volt) or 2 AAA NIMH recharchables (=2.4 volt) or 3 AAA (=3.6 volt) or perhaps 2/3 AA's to make them last longer and the 6 volt with 4/5 AAA's.

Its getting bulky since the lithiums are so much smaller and the batteries then need to go onto the headband....

I would like to get dedicated MD headphones but where i am detecting nobody has been before with a detector (sometimes it is good to be '20 years behind the rest of the world' (NZ)) and needing to hear the faint signals that others miss is not the most important part cause there should be plenty of 6 to 8 oz nuggets left cause that's what was 'being frequently found' there by the alluvial boys in the old days....

And because there is always some bushbashing involved and i broke my cable/plug allready once i think the wireless setup would suit my situation just fine.

I haven't been out to that spot yet and its winter here and the days are short and the creek doesn't get any sun....

Looks like 'you get what you pay for' and the Sony is more expensive and might therefore be the way to go for hard use (while, as 'SGTFDA' says, the Macally's have lasted also), so cheers again for that 'grubstake'.

I still use the Macally's but only on my coin detector. I don't care for them with the Minelab. They held up so far with no issues.

Thanks for that mate, interesting to hear that you have had no issue with the synchronisation 'going and not coming back....', or anything else.

May i ask how often you have used your coin detector since you bought the Macally's (like 'lots', 'sometimes'....), but then again, you bought them in 2007, so you would have used them often enough for the synchronisation issue to have come up if it had been an issue in the first place.

They are the only bluetooth setup (found so far) that uses replacable batteries, thats why i keep looking at them, but i think i could modify another set with nonreplacable batteries so as to get a good quality unit that does what i need.

Its the bushbashing that breaks my cable/plug and i even thought about headphones with a 'retractable cord' (with an adapter so as to be able to use the smallest plug, that would be easy enough to pull out and put back in), but that would create its own problems and i need to try a few of those first to see how it would work.

Which makes one think: Dedicated MD headphones with retractable cord....

Cheers for your help mate.

By the way, why don't you care about the wireless on your minelab.

I tried AirHeadz out for a short time a few months back a bit spendy but well built and made just for detecting.

link to there web site

nvchris

post-861-1247195039_thumb.png

Yeah mate, they sound good on their website and from feedback...., i just have to go and rob a bank....

Ones those 6 oz nuggets run out after all my new found mates from this forum have been here a few times.... i will surely need one of those....

Mine took a crap soon after getting them and I went back to my Koss.... I really am not bothered by the wires.

Fair enough Bill, the sound/signal/sensitivity/quality.... must be better with the Koss, for sure, but it is a 'pain in the ....' to push through dense bush with the wire in the way, for me, and one broken cord/plug later tells me that i need to do something....

I usually place the headphones onto the detector for bushbashing short distance cause the big plug is hard to pull out and put back in easely.

I could get (dedicated MD headphones with) 2 adapters with a small plug inbetween, so i would only have a small plug to pull out (!??).

Then i could also get a set of Airheadz.

I could get a cheaper set of normal headphones with a retractable cord (that usually have a small plug). Good enough for 6 oz nuggets!

§$?/ÄÖÜ*!....................................................

Looks like its just a matter of money....

Well, stuff the banks, i will just have to rob one....(overnight, no guns....)

Thanks for that Bill.

What actually happened to both of your wireless sets that you bought. You had a Macallys and a Logitech.

What crapped out on each set so soon after purchase, it all sounded so good then, bummer it didn't work out, well, good you are not bothered too much by that wire, i know it sucks to be me, but then again, like i said before, hardly anybody has got a detector here and even if there is only 'small' nuggets (6-8oz) to be found, those should keep me busy for the next 25 years (unless you all come over for 'a holiday'....).

Cheers mate.

I use Koss too. I dont mind the wires, except for the first few signals. I get rather excited and darn near strangle myself. But after a day of trash (still virgin), I remember not to yank my head when laying down my detector. :headphones:

But my Koss work really well

So i could bye Koss headphones and some cheap headphones with a retractable cord, take the 'retractable mechanism' out, put it into/onto the Koss, get the right adapters to be able to use a small plug, that i then could pull out and put back in easely, and 'I am sorted'....

'Retractable mechanism' modification: sounds like 'a dozendbeermission'. Do i need an excuse?

Put that baby over gold 'sonnysnewlife' and 'she'll be right' mate'.

So i could bye Koss headphones and some cheap headphones with a retractable cord, take the 'retractable mechanism' out, put it into/onto the Koss, get the right adapters to be able to use a small plug, that i then could pull out and put back in easely, and 'I am sorted'....

'Retractable mechanism' modification: sounds like 'a dozendbeermission'. Do i need an excuse?

Put that baby over gold 'sonnysnewlife' and 'she'll be right' mate'.

That sounds about right, but how is the retractable part gonna help me from getting strangled? Maybe I am not envisioning it correctly?

That sounds about right, but how is the retractable part gonna help me from getting strangled? Maybe I am not envisioning it correctly?

G'day 'Alex',

Like you, if I'm bashing the bush I tend to disconnect the 'phones, but don't have too much of a problem with that in Otago so far. However I do find the curly cord a bit of a pain so am also looking to go cordless. Should you find the best setup please let me know via the forum. I run the 4500 but have rejected the harness and just use a belt now, with battery strapped to the control box. Feels a lot better to me, and if I can go cordless, that would be fantastic!.

Cheers,

Rick.

Fair enough Bill, the sound/signal/sensitivity/quality.... must be better with the Koss, for sure, but it is a 'pain in the ....' to push through dense bush with the wire in the way, for me, and one broken cord/plug later tells me that i need to do something....

I usually place the headphones onto the detector for bushbashing short distance cause the big plug is hard to pull out and put back in easely.

I could get (dedicated MD headphones with) 2 adapters with a small plug inbetween, so i would only have a small plug to pull out (!??).

Then i could also get a set of Airheadz.

I could get a cheaper set of normal headphones with a retractable cord (that usually have a small plug). Good enough for 6 oz nuggets!

§$?/ÄÖÜ*!....................................................

Looks like its just a matter of money....

Well, stuff the banks, i will just have to rob one....(overnight, no guns....)

Thanks for that Bill.

What actually happened to both of your wireless sets that you bought. You had a Macallys and a Logitech.

What crapped out on each set so soon after purchase, it all sounded so good then, bummer it didn't work out, well, good you are not bothered too much by that wire, i know it sucks to be me, but then again, like i said before, hardly anybody has got a detector here and even if there is only 'small' nuggets (6-8oz) to be found, those should keep me busy for the next 25 years (unless you all come over for 'a holiday'....).

Cheers mate.

The Macallys took a dump in the field while hunting and was not built to be out in the elements and the battery cover came off to easily and I had to tape it.

The Logitech is still working and I use it for my PC....

G'day 'Alex',

Like you, if I'm bashing the bush I tend to disconnect the 'phones, but don't have too much of a problem with that in Otago so far. However I do find the curly cord a bit of a pain so am also looking to go cordless. Should you find the best setup please let me know via the forum. I run the 4500 but have rejected the harness and just use a belt now, with battery strapped to the control box. Feels a lot better to me, and if I can go cordless, that would be fantastic!.

Cheers,

Rick.

Hi Rick, 'small world' ehy...., i live near Nelson....

Yeah mate, i might be too fussy with pulling out and putting back that big plug...., but if it can be made easier with a small plug than why not, ehy.

Good to hear that you sorted that harness issue out....every little bit makes a difference.

I will keep on researching bluetooth/retractable cord/modifications.... headphones and will let you know what comes up but it looks like as it does so often: 'If you want something done well, you will have to do it yourself'.

Keep warm, the shortest day is gone, spring just around the corner....yeeeha.

Cheers, AL.

The Macallys took a dump in the field while hunting and was not built to be out in the elements and the battery cover came off to easily and I had to tape it.

The Logitech is still working and I use it for my PC....

Cheers Bill.

As long as the speakers in the headphones are still working i think i could reinforce/change the rest, but i understand that you can't be bothered with it all....especially since you like your Koss and don't mind the cord.

Thanks again, AL.

I thought it would go like this: Signal/to dig, pull cord out of detector/it will retract itself into headphones automatically/leave headphones on or just put around neck, put detector down, dig (if signal needs checking it can be done with speaker phone), finished digging: pick detector up, pull cord from headphones and plug back into detector.

The same for bushbashing: Pull cord out of detector....

But it depends on if the cord retracts easely and consistently without problems and pulls out again without too much force needed and locks itself without too much fiddling and if the retractable mechanism is tough enough to handle it all, and the cable is thinner than usual and therefore weaker and perhaps the sound will suffer. So need to check different retractable mechanism....

Just investigating possibilities: often one has to have 10 silly ideas first before one can come up with a good one, hence the feedback from forums/help from nice people like you....

Cheers, take care.... AL.

I thought it would go like this: Signal/to dig, pull cord out of detector/it will retract itself into headphones automatically/leave headphones on or just put around neck, put detector down, dig (if signal needs checking it can be done with speaker phone), finished digging: pick detector up, pull cord from headphones and plug back into detector.

The same for bushbashing: Pull cord out of detector....

But it depends on if the cord retracts easely and consistently without problems and pulls out again without too much force needed and locks itself without too much fiddling and if the retractable mechanism is tough enough to handle it all, and the cable is thinner than usual and therefore weaker and perhaps the sound will suffer. So need to check different retractable mechanism....

Just investigating possibilities: often one has to have 10 silly ideas first before one can come up with a good one, hence the feedback from forums/help from nice people like you....

Cheers, take care.... AL.

Ah I gotcha. Thats sounds good. I agree with you we learn from our mistakes best. trial and error.

This is the setup I use on my 3000 when I don't want to be bothered by phones or battery cords.

The amp is from Reeds Prospecting in OZ and has an inbuilt speaker.

Behind the control box cover is a Reeds battery.

The idea is to mount the battery, amp and speaker to the detector.

It can be done with a variety of aftermarket products.

post-861-1247361073_thumb.jpg

This is the setup I use on my 3000 when I don't want to be bothered by phones or battery cords.

Chris, what kind of bucks did you pay for those headphones? They won't give the price out, unless you call them. Grubstake

Gary I tried out a pair that Guido (the smart point guy on Rob's site) had when I met up with him on my way south last mothers day he's in

Vegas so instead of mailing a coil he got from me I delivered it to him. I forget what he said he paid for them but I'm thinking every bit of $200.

They look like they came off a flight line. Quality was my first impression .......American made too.

What I'd like to see on the market is just the transmitter and receiver where we could plug in whatever phones/speaker we have.

nvchris

Yeh Chris your right, someone should be able to do that. It would sure make things easyer. Gary What would make it even better, is if minelab would make the detectors, already bluetooth enabled, like whites is stateing to do. Grubstake

Good setup mate.

If i wasn't so often hunting along noisy creeks.... that would be a good idea to consider.

When my headphones broke down the other day and i had to use my speakerphone it was't funny....

The creek was noisy sometimes and sometimes not (as they are) and sometimes i had to turn the threshold up to max and then a few minutes later down again....

Yes, the amplifier would help there heaps but the creek is often still too noisy....if you know what i mean.

Cheers for that mate

Alexnz have you considered using a speaker instead of headphones? Check out the 4th post down.

speaker

Rich

Yes Rich, i have thought about the speaker option and just posted a reply to Chris (above), who has an amplifier speaker system that looks really good, explaining why that option is not so good for my particular situation.

But thanks for that mate.