Nugget Shooter Forums
pondmn

Spider bites

A few years ago I got a foxtail in my ear.  The doc thought it was a spider.  Almost had to have  surgery to remove it but the doc held me down and reached in with tweezers and got it out.  Only reason i knew it was there was because my ear started bleeding.......

• wow 1

3 hours ago, pondmn said:

A few years ago I got a foxtail in my ear.  The doc thought it was a spider.  Almost had to have  surgery to remove it but the doc held me down and reached in with tweezers and got it out.  Only reason i knew it was there was because my ear started bleeding.......

The doggone foxtail grass is dangerous. I have had a lot of trouble with it. It has cost a bunch in vet bills. I had a dog that almost lost an eye. Several times I have had to get them out from under a dogs skin. 

I had one go deep into my lower leg under the top of my boot last year deer hunting. It was bothering me as I walked for an hour or so and I finally took my boot off and looked. It had worked itself into my leg a half inch. It left a painful sore that was slow to heal.

When the year is just right and the rye heads are the proper moisture and maturity those things are a huge hazard. I remember one spring a few years ago I had to burn the whole acre to get rid of the foxtails. The winter rye had such hard, sharp points and were coming off the heads. They completely covered the ground. After getting one out of the dogs eye and many from around his toenails I realized he had them all under his thick fur. I had to shave the dog and pick hundreds out of his skin. It looked like he had severe acne or something. They would tangle in his thick undercoat and were boring into him everywhere. Had he not gotten one in his eye I probably would not have noticed until it was too late. 

I am amazed at how many people have no idea what it is or that it is a hazard. It really does a number on hunting and adventure dogs. Horses and mules too. They get it up their nose and it goes deep into their sinuses fast. It can really hurt or kill an animal. It is hard to think a simple grass seed could do that much damage but it certainly can. 

If my dog snorts or flops his ears more than a couple times in a row I am checking for foxtails. If one gets in there it is an emergency. The more they try to get it out the faster and deeper the things go in.

• Like 1

Spiders don't bother me, nor do scorpions BUT EARWIGS ... Now those little bastards make my skin crawl!how-to-get-rid-of-earwigs.jpg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mike Furness said:

Spiders don't bother me, nor do scorpions BUT EARWIGS ... Now those little bastards make my skin crawl!how-to-get-rid-of-earwigs.jpg

Earwigs??? Those are absolutely harmless.:laught16:

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Morlock said:

Yeah, but they stink...…………………….boorb  

Old Tom

Edited by Old Tom

8 hours ago, Morlock said:

Im with Mike, they are creepy as heck. Cant stand them lol.

2 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Im with Mike, they are creepy as heck. Cant stand them lol.

You mean these?

Morlock ... as a kid about 12 I was sleeping in a jungle tent hammock and woke to those little SOB's crawling all over me. Try it you might feel the same way as I do! :inocent::old:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Furness said:

Morlock ... as a kid about 12 I was sleeping in a jungle tent hammock and woke to those little SOB's crawling all over me. Try it you might feel the same way as I do! :inocent::old:

I had a similar experience at summer camp when I was a young boy. I woke up with several teenage girls in my hammock. That experience affected me both physically and psychologically. I have never been the same since. I still wake up with physical symptoms like stiffening in the lower extremities and a certain overwhelming anxiety.

Thank GOD they weren't earwigs!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 8/26/2019 at 5:03 AM, Mike Furness said:

Yeah, those too. Harmless, but if one scuttles across my hand, I make un-manly sounds, and move quickly....

Regards, Kyle

• Haha 2

If it is a Brown Recluse, it will appear to heal up.  The toxin will lay dormant and then 6 months to a year later it will reactivate, rot a little more skin and go dormant again.  The darn thing is insidious.

Read Stanley Abrams research on his treatment for  Brown Recluse bites.  He recently died about 9 months ago.   I'm not endorsing his technique.  I can tell you I know of one person who was having a very bad time with the Brown Recluse bite, he actually saw the spider and killed it  After using this technique the pain went away within 30 minutes.  The swelling and redness went away the next day.  And the bite healed quickly and has not returned in two years.  I can't endorse this procedure or the use of the item Abrams describes. 

I was bit by something while out camping.  It was nothing serious, but man did it itch.  For two days I tried to dig a hole in my skin scratching like crazy.  I used the stun gun and it immediately stopped itching and never itched again.  Coincidence?  Placebo?  I have no idea of knowing, I'm just glad it stopped itching.

Full disclosure, I sell these stun guns of 25,000 volts.  Obviously because of liability I can not recommend their effectiveness for any use what-so-ever.  Use them at your own risk.  I have carried these for over 25 years. 

I can tell you what not to use them for.  Do not use them as a self-defense device.  They are not powerful enough to incapacitate an attacker.  They will however really irritate an assailant and make them mad.

I used to have a gentleman that every year at the same time he would call be and order 25 units.  I never asked him why he was buying so many until the third year in a row when he called to place yet another order.  I said I hate to be nosy but what do you do with all of these stun guns?

He said I am a camera man for National Geographic.  Every year about this time we go to South America to film.  In South America these stun guns are like gold.  You can trade them for anything, they are more valuable than money.  He said he has had people trade him as much as $300 in gold for one.

Google Stan Abrams Brown Recluse Spider

Doc

• Like 1
  • wow 1

Yup, Doc, I've carried one for years in case of way-out-in-the-wilds rattlesnake bite. First read of the treatment 27 years ago, and it was about their use in South America. The article said the only problem with the procedure was getting the patient to hold still for it...LOL

Jim

4 hours ago, Idaho Jim said:

Yup, Doc, I've carried one for years in case of way-out-in-the-wilds rattlesnake bite. First read of the treatment 27 years ago, and it was about their use in South America. The article said the only problem with the procedure was getting the patient to hold still for it...LOL

Jim

Generally that is because people are using any old stun gun.  25000 volts is the ideal voltage,  It sounds like a lot, but it is absolutely bearable.  It causes a strong contraction of the local muscle, but it's actually not that big a deal.  50,000 is painful and 100,000 is only used in S&M clubs. :-).

Also with Brown Recluse it is important to use leads on the stun gun.  Venom from the Brown Recluse goes deep, so you have to use wires on the stun gun terminals.  Putting one lead on top of the injury site and the other lead on the opposite side of the affected limb, so the current actual flows through the muscle and not just on the surface.

Doc

• Like 1