Nugget Shooter Forums
pondmn

Spider bites

Well, let's hope it doesn't take Jerry 4 years to recover and they don't have to amputate everything below the waist. :Huh_anim]:

Well how are things going? What's the story? Don't stop reporting or we may come by your house to collect your prospecting equipment thinking your dead. Hope all is well.

Just sitting here about as happy as falling head first in an outhouse......Naw, just kidding it could be worse. Been to the Doc three times in 5 days and go back tomorrow. Leg is elevated and swollen. Fever has gone down and no more chills. Just sleep a lot from the meds. Was sleeping most of the day and night. See the Doc tomorrow for blood test results and maybe more meds. It would be interesting to know what type of spider I got bit by, but not having seen it makes it difficult to know. Pretty sure it was not brown recluse and possibly not black widow. Now it's just cabin fever.

Jagdoctor One of my friends has all ready said that when I die he was going to get my wife, my retirement, my truck and rv, boat, gun collection, decoy collection, detectors and gold, quads and whatever else he could find. So I guess you will have to stand in line. Jerry

Just sitting here about as happy as falling head first in an outhouse......Naw, just kidding it could be worse. Been to the Doc three times in 5 days and go back tomorrow. Leg is elevated and swollen. Fever has gone down and no more chills. Just sleep a lot from the meds. Was sleeping most of the day and night. See the Doc tomorrow for blood test results and maybe more meds. It would be interesting to know what type of spider I got bit by, but not having seen it makes it difficult to know. Pretty sure it was not brown recluse and possibly not black widow. Now it's just cabin fever. Jerry

Its good to hear you are a bit better. If it was a recluse you would have known already.

The day before i went into the Navy, I was stung 3 times by a scorpion that was in my jacket. I swoll up underneath my arms and road the train the next day, in that condition. But it went away. How you get better quick, but dont rush it.

Don't forget to sit outside and get a little sunshine. Even if it's just 15 min in the morning. God gave us that wonderfull healing tool and many (doctors) forget how good it is for us.

I think it's crap one person getting all that. Of course I suppose getting a wife offsets getting all the prospecting equipment. :hmmmmmm:

Back in the Doc's office again today. Swelling is going down some, but, I also have a bacterial blood infection. Depending on what it is after all lab reports are in I may have to start some more antibiotics. Overall if the bacteria is not to bad I am actually getting better, except my back is out because of a spur and I am eating vicodin and flexeril. That should take care of itself within a day or so. I have the back problem every once and a while. Jerry

Take one aspirin and give it to the wife; and you have a glass of wine and call me in the morning :innocent0009:

Jerry, are you sure whatever bit you didn't crawl out of Shep's... er, well ....forest?

It may have gone back IN there and will attack you again. :poke:

Hi Jerry and All

Spur in your back :confused0013: ?? Maybe you wife should take off her cowboy boots when you go to bed :hmmmmmm: !! Get well Jerry we're gettin tired of excuses :innocent0009: !! Happy Huntin John B.

On 7/12/2009 at 8:17 PM, Gilaoro said:

Jerry,

If it is a brown recluse bite it will have a maroon spot in the center and then the infection will spread in a circle and the tissue will die.

I have posted numerous times on this and on AZ GP forums with pictures about brown recluse bites, I spent 9 days in intensive care and had a fever of 105.5, they operated on my hand after 3 days and I almost lost the whole arm, it took 16 weeks to heal.

The only first aid for a brown recluse bite is to cut it out, preferably within 30 minutes! I since pay more attention and have seen lots of people with terriable scars left from untreated bites.

They treated me after surgery with "Vancomicyn" the strongest antibotic there is, they where afraid it was going to destroy my kidneys but I was dieing anyway so they gave me about a pint intraveiounsly.

I had nothing to eat for 7 days, I was too sick to care!

Wish I cound send the pictures but my internet connection is too slow, I am on top of Grimes Pass Idaho, 5099 feet .

Take care of those infections and get well soon!

Max

Here's a lady who had a brown recluse spider taken out of his ear without getting bit. Has to be very lucky.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/08/23/doctors-find-spider-in-womans-ear/

I don't consider them harmless unless they're dead.

• Like 2

Why would you dredge up this 10 year old thread instead of starting a new one?

46 minutes ago, fishing8046 said:

Why would you dredge up this 10 year old thread instead of starting a new one?

What difference does it make if it's a one week old thread or a ten year old thread? A friend of mine had a bad experience with a brown recluse spider. Got it?

• Like 5

I just saw one the other day. We have plenty of black widows here but the brown recluse is pretty rare. I should have got a photo of that rascal. He had a perfect fiddle on his back.

You see a lot of black widows with brown abdomens and different stripes and such these days. I think they are breeding with the recluse. Used to be they were all black and had a red hourglass on their belly. In the past dozen years I see a lot of brown ones with different markings but obviously a black widow. I finally saw a genuine brown recluse without a doubt.

I don't know if they are really much worse than a black widow. Some folks get really sick from either of them.

I have been bitten by a black widow and I still have a dark sunken scar on my leg. It gave me stomach cramps really bad. If a brown recluse is any worse than a black widow then it is a mighty potent spider. I wonder about all of those brown "hybrid" looking black widows and if their bite is worse than the average black widow. The doggone things are as common as the pure black ones these days.

You are awesome Morlock. I like to talk about spiders. It does not matter how old the thread is. And I miss old Gilaoro. So resurrecting an old post is just like finding a sweet antique. I enjoy the trip back in time.

Those were the days when Nugetshooter Forum was a heck of a hoot. Lots of good knowledge and some really experienced old rascals posting back then.

• Like 2

Thats why the threads arent deleted. For future reference and reading. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Thats why the threads arent deleted. For future reference and reading. 

Lots of the old threads form this era are "locked". I wonder why this one wasn't? 

Anyhoo, I have linked to several of these old "locked" treads in the past few months. Some of them are pure gold man!

This was way back in '09! I think I had only been banned once or twice back then. It really brings back memories. We really had some good banter and there were some awesome threads with all sorts of good conversation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Heck I remember the original Nuggetshooter Forum. It must have been 2006-2007? I think all of it is gone now. It was all wiped out in "The Great Purge".

I remember a story I wrote about burying nickels under my morning poop for a cranky old prospector to find. That story was deleted over a decade ago and is still being told by prospectors around the campfire all over the west. 

I remember an exorcism done in pig latin. It made an evil spirit in the form of a frog come out of a certain members mouth. He is still pissed at me about that. 

And channeling the spirit of a forum members deceased mother through my rectal orifice after a plate of red enchiladas. He's still pissed too. 

I remember a story about my first meteorite and a rock that plugged up the sewage main in a big office building I was managing. And how the rock in the sewer was more collectable and rarer than the meteorite. I think this was the only one of my stories to survive The Great Purge. 

I remember perfecting the method of differentiating Holbrook meteorites from jack rabbit turds by putting them in a bowl, pouring milk over them and using a magnetic spoon to eat them.

All gone now. :cry2:

Yeah, we had some times back then. We were younger men. Skip wasn't moderating yet. Bush was in office. Glorieta was virtually untouched. Hillsboro was a free for all. And most of us had hair. Some had too much.

Funny how time has a habit of getting around behind you, huh?

Spider talk is still cool though. I suppose this far down the line it is about all we can handle. :olddude:

How the heck did this guy pull thru ?

Any updates how he made it ?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, H-2 Charlie said:

How the heck did this guy pull thru ?

Any updates how he made it ?

That right there is one heck of a good reason to  dredge up this old thread.

How did it turn out?

H-2 Charlie   I was quite sick for a while and pretty much out of it for the first few days after the bite.  With antibiotics and time I got better.  Now dealing with Mysthenia Gravis on a daily basis but will never  give up.   Bedrock those were some good old days.

• Like 1

Max (Gilaoro) and I are good friends and I was in the same area where he and Polly were staying when he got bit. Needless to say, it was a very nasty bite and it took quite a while for him to recover from it.

I cringed when I read the article about the lady having a brown recluse spider in her ear. She was very lucky not getting bit imho. If she had, I think she could have lost her hearing in that ear if not more.

Guys and gals.... be careful out there...

Many years ago in the days we used the old outhouses when nature called, one of my brothers sat down to do his business, a black widow spider crawled  on exposed parts and bit a choice morsel. He nearly tore the  outhouse down getting out.  He survived but he still won't talk about it today!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Morlock said:

Here's a lady who had a brown recluse spider taken out of his ear without getting bit. Has to be very lucky.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/08/23/doctors-find-spider-in-womans-ear/

I don't consider them harmless unless they're dead.

Saw that story yesterday. Me man-bits crawl at the thought. Not as bad as scorpions, for me though. Every man fears something. A two inch long bug with a stinger on the tail does it for me. I have an arsenal of UV lights, and some nuclear bug spray from Amazon, called Cy-Kick. That stuff works. I may grow a third eye, and two new cancers unknown to science, but no crawlies in the RV!

Be careful out there!

Regards, Kyle

• Like 1

No recluse seen around here, but do get black widows. Something I've done in my garage that seems to work- close all the windows and doors, put a 1/2 gallon of gas in riding lawn mower, start in the evening and let it run out of gas. Next day, hold my breathe and open big garage door and windows and air out. Will find dead black widows hanging in their webs. If I see any spiders in toyhauler before winter trips to AZ, might put generator out there and do the same.

• Like 1

Sorry all.

Spiders are my Kyptonite. I was bite on my lower calf by a brown recluse when I was 6 years old. It really did a number on me physically as well a physiologically. I was in my 30's the last time I woke up in the middle of the night and tour the bed apart looking for the spider that was only in my dream. 

• Like 1