Nugget Shooter Forums

New Fees For Staking Claims

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/newsroom/...claim_fees.html

>>> The Bureau of Land Management today published in the Federal Register a notice that it is adjusting for inflation its fees for the location (or “staking”) and maintenance of unpatented mining claims, mill sites, and tunnel sites. The location fee will increase from $30 to $34 and the maintenance fee will rise from $125 to $140 for such unpatented claims, in which no federal land has been transferred to the individual or company staking the claim.

The adjusted fees are due on or before September 1, 2009. Mining claimants must pay the new location fee for any mining claim or site located after the effective date of this final rule, which is today (June 29, 2009). Those who have already submitted maintenance fees for the 2010 maintenance year will be given an opportunity to pay the additional amount without penalty upon notice from the BLM. Since Fiscal Year 1993, mining claimants staking new claims or sites have been required to pay a one-time location fee. Claimants must also pay an annual “maintenance” fee in lieu of performing annual assessment work and making annual filings. In accordance with the Mining Law of 1872, as amended, and in light of recent related regulatory actions, the BLM is announcing today a new final rule that establishes a regular schedule for adjusting mining-related location and annual maintenance fees. Specifically, the new rule authorizes adjustments to these fees to reflect changes in the Consumer Price Index every five years after August 10, 1993, or more frequently if the Secretary of the Interior determines an adjustment to be reasonable. The BLM has not adjusted location and maintenance fees since 2004. The adjustments made in this final rule are based on the change in the Consumer Price Index from December 31, 2003, through December 31, 2008, as reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The link to today’s final rule in the Federal Register is: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/pdf/E9-15248.pdf <<< - Terry

I never liked the idea that they can raise prices as they feel.

It is still not much for a good claim. maybe it will get theses claim holders/sellers to drop some of there claims.

It will also give people a chance to pic up some dropped claims. :twocents:

Raising BLM claim maintenance fees during the current economic downturn certainly will result in some marginal claims being abandoned. Maybe even some good ones. Come September it may be cherry picking time unless the Rahall Bill passes before then (even then, at least sour cherries are better than none).

I've wondered about this for awhile. So you forsee some claims may get dropped. Well you can't explore the claims while they are claimed so.... How do you decide you want a claim? Also how do you know when it's been dropped? Call the BLM right after the renewal date is the answer I expect but I'd like some more info if'n ya'll could humor my ignorance.

I don't think you will see many dump their claims over $15.00.

If you have 10 claims that is just $150.00 above the normal fees.

If you can afford to pay $125.00 each a year on ten claims the

extra $150.00 isn't enough to sweat about,and wouldn't justify

dumping claims.

If a claim won't produce $140.00 a year, you shouldn't have it

tied up in the first place.

It doesn't make sense to pay $5000.00 for a detector and then

bitch about paying $140.00 a year for your own playground to

use it on.

Another way to look at it is, if the government thinks they are

making a little from these claims,then they may let us survive.

If they are losing money then it is just more reason to pass more

anti mining laws.

"Another way to look at it is, if the government thinks they are

anti mining laws"

darn good point!

Another way to look at it is, if the government thinks they are

anti mining laws.

Interesting view......

Dont know if this will help, but it talks about rehosting abandoned mines last year and the action codes to use. I am not sure how often they update this though.

http://www.blm.gov/lr2000/lr2000pubrpts/Fr...on_codes-MC.pdf