Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nate

Fireball in tucson

Hi guys why talking with John B, last night he pointed out to me a fire ball falling, I been hunting meteorites for a wile now and had never seen a fireball before this to me was to say the lest a grate sight, Did anyone ease see it ?

Geesh I am just south of Tucson, but missed it. what time was it?

Greetings all,

This fireball was captured by a security camera and shown on the local CBS station on the 6:00 pm news. (today, 6-24-09) Short by sweet. Go to: News 13 KOLD-TV Video if you want to see it. Find video on security camera captures bolide.

Speaking of fireballs. My wife claims she saw one several Sundays ago while coming home from work. :hmmmmmm: It streaked right over Tucson heading west. This was about midnight.

Keep on a hunting,

Bob

Hi All

While talking with Nate in a parking lot at Pima and Craycroft in Tucson at Apx 9:20 PM tuesday evening :innocent0009: . I was listening to Nate teaching me the fine art of meteorite hunting and classifiying finds :Huh_anim]: . Needless to say I was looking off in the skys I'm not quite certain what I was actually thinking about but :hmmmmmm: . A nice fireball appeared to the southwest of our location heading westerly :whoopie: . I allerted Nate to shut the F up and look :ph34r2: . He saw the last bit of it before dark flight. I couldn't hear any sonic booms or the sizzling sounds because Nate wouldn't quite babbling :angry-smiley-010: . I've seen many over the years and would guess it to be of smaller sized maybe a kilo or so. It shed a few small sparks but no major beak up or shedding with a pretty green color :woohoo: . Saying that it probably remained pretty much intact and judging that dark flight occors at over 10 miles up that sucker probably made Demming or Wilcox for sure :grrr01: . The best and biggest fireball I've seen so far was a huge one while visiting friends in Baton Rouge Louisiana. While out smoking a cigerette a huge fireball flew overhead and I lost it in the trees to the west. My friend Cary started calling around to the police and local news stations for further reports. I was actually there to speak at a local detecting club about gold and meteorite hunting :tisc-tisc: . well Cary told that to the news stations he had called, of which they had already recieved many calls on it. The next thing I know they were calling me wanting to do a story on meteorites which I declined. But one station called us back a couple hours latter with a call from a fellow that said it landed across the street from his home in a cane field. We were given his phone number and immediatly called him and agreed we would be at his house in the morning about 120 miles away. We arrived early and he was out in the cane field looking. After talking with him in detail he heard nothing and saw exactly what I saw ( a huge fireball heading west that he lost sight of in the trees) he heard absolutly nothing no booms no sizzle nada. We continued our treck west with a few more similar reports but it was my conclusion that the space rock/debrie easily made Texas and probably New Mexico and distance perception unless triagulated is often very deceptive !! That's my story and I'm sticken too it :twocents: !! Happy Huntin John B.

Hi All

While talking with Nate in a parking lot at Pima and Craycroft in Tucson at Apx 9:20 PM tuesday evening :innocent0009: . I was listening to Nate teaching me the fine art of meteorite hunting and classifiying finds :Huh_anim]: . Needless to say I was looking off in the skys I'm not quite certain what I was actually thinking about but :hmmmmmm: . A nice fireball appeared to the southwest of our location heading westerly :whoopie: . I allerted Nate to shut the F up and look :ph34r2: . He saw the last bit of it before dark flight. I couldn't hear any sonic booms or the sizzling sounds because Nate wouldn't quite babbling :angry-smiley-010: . I've seen many over the years and would guess it to be of smaller sized maybe a kilo or so. It shed a few small sparks but no major beak up or shedding with a pretty green color :woohoo: . Saying that it probably remained pretty much intact and judging that dark flight occors at over 10 miles up that sucker probably made Demming or Wilcox for sure :grrr01: . The best and biggest fireball I've seen so far was a huge one while visiting friends in Baton Rouge Louisiana. While out smoking a cigerette a huge fireball flew overhead and I lost it in the trees to the west. My friend Cary started calling around to the police and local news stations for further reports. I was actually there to speak at a local detecting club about gold and meteorite hunting :tisc-tisc: . well Cary told that to the news stations he had called, of which they had already recieved many calls on it. The next thing I know they were calling me wanting to do a story on meteorites which I declined. But one station called us back a couple hours latter with a call from a fellow that said it landed across the street from his home in a cane field. We were given his phone number and immediatly called him and agreed we would be at his house in the morning about 120 miles away. We arrived early and he was out in the cane field looking. After talking with him in detail he heard nothing and saw exactly what I saw ( a huge fireball heading west that he lost sight of in the trees) he heard absolutly nothing no booms no sizzle nada. We continued our treck west with a few more similar reports but it was my conclusion that the space rock/debrie easily made Texas and probably New Mexico and distance perception unless triagulated is often very deceptive !! That's my story and I'm sticken too it :twocents: !! Happy Huntin John B.

Man I am SOOOOO envious!!!!!!!!!! I hope to see a sight like that someday. I do remember my Father pointing out the orbiting Apollo capsule one night out by Lake Pleasant. That was pretty cool. Good for you! What a story for the Grandkids!!! - Terry

Guest bedrock bob

So let me get this straight...It was SW of Tucson headed in a westerly direction? And it made Deming or Wilcox? That is one hell of a trajectory! Almost all the way around the world!

Musta been headed in an easterly direction?

Each time I see a fireball I wonder about where (if) it landed. I have heard a lot of estimates on how high they are and how fast they are going. When the shuttle broke up it started me to thinking very hard about trajectories and such. Of course the shuttle was FLYING (at least for a time) and a rock would be FALLING but there are some definite correlations there.

One night a lady friend and I got up on the rooftop and watched the shuttle re-enter the atmosphere. She said, "it looks just like a meteor." I responded, "Yeah, just like a meteor with six people riding that screaming, burning sucker all the way to the ground." We were sitting in Las Cruces NM and the Shuttle was landing in Florida. The flight path was a steep one. When the Columbia crashed it started burning over Utah, coming apart over New Mexico, fell mostly in east Texas, and was headed to Florida. Even with all the instrumentation and observation they realy didnt know exactly where the pieces were falling and relied on folks witnessing the event and triangulating from these accounts.

Bob

Back in the 70's I was in Tucson.

In the back yard one night, my whole back yard lit up like some one was using a Arc Welder next door.

I looked up to see the Catalina Mt's back lit by a fire ball .

It looked to me that it went down behind the Mtn.

I was sure it went down behind the Mtn.

The next morning I read in the paper that people in Montana Seen the same thing. A huge fire ball going over the horizon!

Sucker must have been Huge!

:Huh_anim]:

Hope this bolide produces some fresh stones to collect!

Hi Bob and All

It was headed in an easterly direction my mistake :angry-smiley-010: !! And it was in the southeastern skys from our position :grrr01: !! Nate's teachings had me cornfused kinda like his writings :laught16::laught16: !! Happy Huntin John B.

Guest bedrock bob

East, West, does it really make any difference?

Hey, you are good John. I just checked my voice mail. It was my son. He saw it disrupt the clouds in a streak from where he was standing not too darn far from Deming. It was high clouds that day where he was so that puts it pretty darn low. How close or far do you recon that it landed in relation to the cloud penetration? What kind of angle do you suppose if it was entering dark flight from your view and entering the clouds where the golden boy was standing? I figure no more than 5-10 miles flight from that altitude?

He is hog hunting in Texas again. I will hear from him this evening and I will get a lot more info. I dont know exactly where he was.

Bob

Hi All

Those Cirrus clouds are a fooling thing. 26,000 ft will make it look real close. As a pilot one must consider the clouds into the mix. A little bit farther down the field. Just trying to figure it as well.

Lets keep looking. :twocents:

Wayne

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirrus_cloud

Hi Guys-

Here's a link to some fireball sightings for this year. Look at all these reported sightings on the 23rd of June in Arizona, which is apparently the same one you guys are referring to. Some delayed sonic booms were heard and in one case- there were some hissing sounds. Sounds like a good candidate for meteorites.

If you look at Feb 15th when the West Texas meteorite fell, you can see the numerous reports on that date.

Seems to me that someone could go back and use this info to locate even more meteorites if you had enough sightings in a given area.

http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireball/fireball_log2009.html

Steve

Guest bedrock bob

The fireball was visible from Las Cruces. My son saw it at about 45 deg. due west of him and it fell straight down BEHIND the cloud cover. He indicated that the fall went from due west at 45 deg. and it slanted to the north about 10 deg. as it fell.

It did not disrupt the clouds but fell behind them. He said it left a glow or streak behind the clouds that lingered. he did not hear any sounds.

So it did not get as far as the Rio Grande valley. It fell behind the western horizon from there.

Hi All

Interesting :hmmmmmm: !! Years ago I was on a hunt that the U of A triagulated to a location off interstate 8 at the stanfield exit :woohoo: . We hunted a state trust section on the border to the indian reservation. The reports were that it was heading south to that location iluminated but I'm certain it still traveled many miles south in dark flight from it's witnessed location :grrr01: . Unfortunatly they couldn't get permmission to hunt the reservation without surrendering our scalps :tisc-tisc: . From the other post on this forum about it sonic booms were heard in the sierra vista and sulfer vally area so it could be anywhere from Wilcox to Demming. Probably closer to Wilcox From my perspective the sonic boom area was about where it went to dark flight and it was traveling on a pretty high level angel then. Probably making many miles in dark flight. If I had to guess I think my first thought of a kilo or 2 piece or so piece staying mostly intact is probably pretty accurate :innocent0002: . There may be a couple of small stones with it but I didn;t see any sort of explosions breakups or pieces. There is a fellow mentioned in the Seirra Vista Report Jack Shrader. He is my dentist and a long time freind and fellow meteorite hunter/collector. His son Devin was actually classifing meteorites at the U of A and I think he did the studies and classifications on the franconia irons :bowdown: . Well I have an appointment with Jack on july 7th for a haircut and a crown :laught16: . Maybe if I can talk him into it I'll spend the day till he's off and will do some reconisence. If he don't find it before then. Ther's lots of miles of nothing but miles and miles of tall thick sticky prickly crap down that way :angry-smiley-010: !! Happy Huntin John B.

Hi John B and All-

If someone heard hissing sounds while in the process of observing a bright meteor, wouldn't that pinpoint the location better then sonic booms?

The reason I ask is because according to the fireball sightings log on the AMS website on the 23rd of June- a guy in Ash Canyon heard "concurrent hissing" noises as he saw it. It seems like hearing hissing noises are much rarer then sonic booms and was wondering if that had more significance as far as locating possible meteorites.

Steve

Hi Steve

Absolutly unless of course he was standing on a snake :laught16: ?? Happy Huntin John B.

Hi John B-

You've got snakes down there that hiss???? I'm never going back to Arizona again!!!! :laught16::laught16: Seriously though- I looked up a map of Ash Canyon and it's almost right on the border with Mexico. Not sure of the flight path but it's possible it may have landed across the border. There's also a large lake in the vicinity.

Anyone have an idea how far a hissing sound from a meteor could travel? I/4 mile? 1/2 mile? Farther? This might be the best tip for someone looking to recover pieces.

Steve

Hi Steve

If you know the area down there and carefully read the sighting accounts !! I think all of the witnesses were lost !! I think the ash canyon account is probably the closest but he saw it it in the southern sky yet people in sierra vista say it was north of them ?? The only thing I can conclude is that they were all lost and he was standing on a snake ?? Happy Huntin John B.

Hi John B-

Never been to that part of the state south of Tuscon so I wouldn't know head from tails. Maybe some of them were all smoking that mexican weed and that's why you can't make any sense of it. :laught16: :laught16: But just looking at the reports on the AMS website and comparing them to other sightings, I'd say there's a fair chance some meteorites hit the ground somewhere. Now if you could only separate fact from fiction....

http://transientsky.wordpress.com/

Steve

Hi Steve

Remember I saw the fall start to dark flight. :innocent0002: Absolutly there is something on the ground :hmmmmmm: . My guess is a single piece in the kilo size maybe a couple dinkies to go with it :confused0013: . It apeared to stay intact without breakup :ph34r2: :ph34r2: . It's a lota thick desert scrub and small rugged moutains with minimul access down there :grrr01: . I think if it's found it will be dumb luck by someone that got clunked on the head with it :Huh_anim]: !! Happy Huntin John B.

Hi John B:

When I was in Nevada a few years ago, one morning I saw a big clear balloon with a long metallic cylinder attached to it drop out of the sky behind a ridge nearby and in front of another mountain range in the distance. :idea: I grabbed a couple guys and we went looking for it. Needless to say, we never found it after searching for about 6 or 7 hours. My guess it is it was a weather balloon with some instruments attached. :hmmmmmm: I was JUST SO SURE I knew where it was and could find it. :shrug: :grrr01:

I can only imagine how difficult it is to find meteorites just going by the numerous accounts you read about. But something tells me you're going to make a few field trips to try and locate this one since it's right in your neighborhood.. :luck: While it might be in some remote area, all it takes is one or two good tips to really narrow it down and find it.

Steve

Congrats go out to Jack Schrader for his finds on this reported meteor fall, the first to find a fresh fall in AZ. since Holbrook. Jason :;):

Hi Jason-

That was a fast recovery!!!! Any idea on the number of pieces and the weights?

Steve

Hi All

A huge congrads to Jack :whoopie: :bowdown: . I will see him tuesday that's my appointment :WOW: !! Happy Huntin John B.