Nugget Shooter Forums

latest finds!!!

Good evening everyone,

Was getting a little bit bored with the monotonous posts lately. Lets get the meteorites going again! I think these are the real McCoy!! Thought you all might like to see this one with some fair regmaglypts!

I have not been out much lately. I have a million projects going and am staying busy. As soon as it cools off though, I plan on hitting areas here in New Mexico where I have not been yet. Currently doing my homework on the new adventures which are only in the planning stages. Lots of research to still work on! And you can guarantee a few pics and maybe even a video if I get brave this year!!

Also a few pics I have taken recently and in the past. Good hunting to you all!!!!!!!!!!

Hey by the way Del, I found these on the beaches of the Mighty Rio Grande river!!! When I would get hot I would just jump in to cool off, then dry off on the beach!

Dean

post-14020-1245815549_thumb.jpg

post-14020-1245815668_thumb.jpg

post-14020-1245815754_thumb.jpg

Guest bedrock bob

Too nice Dean! It looks like you have been busy!

...I thought we were going to keep that strewn field on the beach a secret?

Aloha Dean,

Especially love that middle pic of the iron. Awesome character!

Looks like you have been one busy guy.

Thanks for the pics.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

Dean, Most Awesome!!! I thought it would be the Pecos River, but I've never been there so I may be confused :confused0013: Anyway, Great irons, and nice PICs too! Clifton

Good evening everyone,

Was getting a little bit bored with the monotonous posts lately. Lets get the meteorites going again! I think these are the real McCoy!! Thought you all might like to see this one with some fair regmaglypts!

I have not been out much lately. I have a million projects going and am staying busy. As soon as it cools off though, I plan on hitting areas here in New Mexico where I have not been yet. Currently doing my homework on the new adventures which are only in the planning stages. Lots of research to still work on! And you can guarantee a few pics and maybe even a video if I get brave this year!!

Also a few pics I have taken recently and in the past. Good hunting to you all!!!!!!!!!!

Hey by the way Del, I found these on the beaches of the Mighty Rio Grande river!!! When I would get hot I would just jump in to cool off, then dry off on the beach!

Dean

Great finds Dean, How long did it take to find all, also I need the GPS reading. I was kidding. Doug

Nice finds Dean, congrats!

As for the whole beach thing... I guess you guys that live in the landlocked states have a very different definition of what a "beach" is than those of us who grew up near the coastline. Trust me if I could hunt the beaches here in So Cal for meteorites I'd be out there chasing meteorites AND tail! :slapped: :laught16:

Del

Guest bedrock bob

As for the whole beach thing... I guess you guys that live in the landlocked states have a very different definition of what a "beach" is than those of us who grew up near the coastline. Trust me if I could hunt the beaches here in So Cal for meteorites I'd be out there chasing meteorites AND tail! :slapped: :laught16:

Del

I thought meteorites lost their tail before they hit the ground? Do they respond to a detector or do you hunt them by sight?

Erik, thanks man!!! I am drooling over maybe some day finding my first Franconia!

Bob, the mountains call my name out loud on a daily basis!! Wish I was retired already. Thanks my friend! Did you get the Rio Grande and the beach Comments?

Stan, How goes it buddy, Gracias! The one with character also has an olivine crystal that goes all the way through the meteorite. It looks great in the sun!

Clifton, Thanks!! I was just messing around a bit reference the beach and the Rio Grande. I was messing a bit with Del and the whole beach meteorite thing.

Nate, Whats up man? how you doing? Yeah, your right they are kinda small....I could always use them for fishing weights when I run out!

Doug, hello buddy. It was about 2 1/2 days of hunting. Are you sure on the cords? I lost my GPS in the field so whomever finds it will have cords! Wait....I found it, it was in the dog house!

Del, hola amigo! Hey I was just messing around reference beach hunting on the last post which would not end! Hey the edge of the Rio De Oro ( here I go again...Rio Grande, Rio Puerco, Rio De Oro they all sound good) is a good enough beach when your dogs are steaming hot and sore from the hunt! Shoes off, socks off and feet on the beach and in the water! What a relief and a booster to keep on hunting! Tail you say! OK I'm headed to Cali!!! I hope I did not offend anyone reference monotonous posts. I was referring to only the one about the beach.

Bob....Ha ha ha ha. I am sure you use your PERSONEL detector for the tail and of course by sight!!! Just ask Del.

Thanks all!!!

Dean

Del

Del, when is the beach hunt. Maybe we will find a californilite or a arizonatite or maybe a mexipallasite. The one you find will have very defined flow lines, with some great crystals sticking out with awesome fusion crust!! Bring your best tail detector cause you surely don't want the skunk around!! :brows:

Dean

Del, when is the beach hunt. Maybe we will find a californilite or a arizonatite or maybe a mexipallasite. The one you find will have very defined flow lines, with some great crystals sticking out with awesome fusion crust!! Bring your best tail detector cause you surely don't want the skunk around!! :brows:

Dean

Dean/Del:

Don't forget about the nice cleavage these stones will have too; one single direction.

Dean:

Congratulations on your irons – nice finds.

- Greg

Dean

Dean I decided to stop hunting beaches when I cam across a couple used needles up in San Francisco on the beach.... yeck!! Fuuny thing is, if you ask all the gold prospctors here in southern California most of them will tell you that you'll find more gold metal detecting at the beach. Yeah There's plenty of tail around here and since it's summer time they are all dressed in next to nothing!!

Hey no offense taken on your comment above.. I was just yankin your chain about the whole "beach" thing. You better check your meteorites and see how much seeweed has grown on them! They also might have changed to a different classification over by now since they've been lying on the ground for a while! :laught16:

Del

Greg,

Thanks buddy for the nice comments!

Del, yeah I wish I was in Cali right now checking out the tail. I need a break from this place if een for a week or two. I sent you a pm.

Dean

• 2 weeks later...
Good evening everyone,

Dean

Are you sure those are meteorites? They do not look right. Have you calculated what their specific gravity is? To me, they seem to be more like molten shards, from an old blacksmith or maybe space debris. They have some unusually sharp edges and corners to them. Anyways I am no expert, but curious if you have been able to confirm their origin?

Guest bedrock bob
Are you sure those are meteorites? They do not look right. Have you calculated what their specific gravity is? To me, they seem to be more like molten shards, from an old blacksmith or maybe space debris. They have some unusually sharp edges and corners to them. Anyways I am no expert, but curious if you have been able to confirm their origin?

Those are Glorieta siderites and pallasites Cuthroat. Pretty huh? Molten shards from a blacksmith would be filled with bubbles and oxidized. They dont send much nickel iron into space so not much falls back to earth...Something about iron spaceships being too heavy to launch... The sharp edges are where olivine crystals fell out of the matrix. I do not believe the origin of the Glorieta meteorite has been confirmed. That is one of the reasons it is pretty special.

Those are Glorieta siderites and pallasites Cuthroat. Pretty huh? Molten shards from a blacksmith would be filled with bubbles and oxidized. They dont send much nickel iron into space so not much falls back to earth...Something about iron spaceships being too heavy to launch... The sharp edges are where olivine crystals fell out of the matrix. I do not believe the origin of the Glorieta meteorite has been confirmed. That is one of the reasons it is pretty special.

Very cool, I was not aware of meteorites in that form. Wow!

Thanks for the info.