Nugget Shooter Forums

I'm looking for first hand info and opinions on the 2200, both the SD an V2

If you own or have owned one and will post up some of your experiences and knowledge about its operation , capabilities ( INCLUDING DEPTH RESPONSES ON TARGETS YOU HAVE RECOVERED ) , and any drawbacks it may posess I would appreciate it.

I have another hair up my rear about getting one and want some experienced input and Thanks I hope I can generate a bit of response on this. :coffeetime:

Hi! Frank C., Grubstake here! I own one, I'll tell you all you want too know about the 2200sd. Only difference between it and the V2 are the color and the shaft. I like the 2200, it runs smooth most of the time, I have a lot of different coils, mostly coiltek, and stock coils, the platypus is my favorite, and the only drawback with the 2200 is really mineralized ground, I'm not talking desert stuff, like out at rich hill, it will handle that just fine, I'm talking red,red, iron oxide ladden ground like we have here in Mariposa, it will do ok in it also, but it makes running a mono almost impossible, DD coils are used on the 2200 up here, I had a 4000, had to sell it, but loved it, I could run a mono onit, in the soil up here. I have also added a button handle on my 2200, it makes it alot easyer to run in fixed and just hit the button and re-ground balance, depth is very close if not the same as I was getting with the 4000. The 4000 will fine smaller gold at depth, but the 2200 won't miss much. The trick is finding the right coil, I also run the Wallaby quite abit on mine. Over all, the 2200 is a good pick, but if I had the money, I would still go for the 4000, just because of the fact it can run mono's in the same soil with no probles. I have found a couple of pounds of nuggets over the years with my 2200, and coupled with the platypus and wallaby, its a great set up. Grubstake

Thanks for the quick comeback Grubby, and glad yer back online.

I thought you used a 2200, Is it FULLY auto tuneing or does it have manual tuning on it also?

I never had one in my hands yet to check it out.

Give me an example of depth you've signaled and dug nugs at ??? I have a prosptn buddy who uses the GPX an I've seen him dig some deep nugs in the areas we hunt locally, one 6 + grammer at 14-16 inches in solid red soil/clay mix recently. And he gets them dinkers too like my GMT but not as many as I do.

Do you use the stock battery ?

Do you run with any type of signal enhancer or is the 2200 audio good enough for ol deaf ears like mine ( deaf in one of em )

Whats the deal with the 2 channels how do you run ?

Thanks for yer time on the subject, I hope before the years up I can get back into a P.I. I had a new 2100 for a short time but was forced out of it for some quick financials.

The2200 ground balances like the GPX does, put it in tracking and pump the coil, or after you put it in fixed. I've dug nuggets down acouple of ft. depends on the size of nugget and ground, I've dug a 17 dwt, at over 2 1/2 ft. and smaller stuff anywhere from on the surface to about 18 inchs as an average. I run the pocket rocket from coiltek and I also run one of DOC's amps. But sometimes I don't run the amp, I use wireless headsphones, in which case they have a built in amp, and are Blue tooth enabled. I have a few coils tochoose from, the Wallaby, the Platypus, the stock 11 inch, I have a Joey, and my uncle just gave me a 14 E DD nuggetfinder, I also have a 14 inch prototype of a round waterproof coil that coiltek never put into prodution, but it gets right on down with the deepth and senceitvivety. I have 4 extra batteries for the pocket rocket, although, I've never had to use all of them, on a hunt. I use Blackwidows most of the time for headphones, I also have a shaft for every coil I have, saves time in the field. Grubstake I was going to say, that 17DWT. nugget was just a break in the threshold, and without an amp, I don't think I would have gotten it. One of the deepest nuggets I have dug.

Hi Frank,

I have been using the SD2200V2 for a couple years now.

The Tuning is Auto only, with no provision for manual. (unfortunately)

If your hearing is questionable then you really should have an amplifier. Some say that the 2200 needs an amp regardless of hearing issues.

If you want to carry around the 4 lb 9oz stock battery then that is up to you. Personally, I use the lightweight Coiltek Pocket Rocket battery.

Channel selection is one of two or both at the same time. If the ground is wicked hot then you can run in both channels or in Channel 1 only. (Channel 1 decreases sensitivity) If the ground is really mild you can run in channel 2 which increases sensitivity. (Of course coil selection comes into play with this subject).

There is also an audio boost selection. You have the choice of amplifying big deep targets or small shallow targets or neither.

The smallest nugget I have found with a 11" Minelab Mono was a quartz gold specie 2.5 grains. With a 14" CT Round Mono my smallest is 3.2 grains. Both were very shallow of course.

The nugget I got yesterday was actually around 11 inches deep in clay and a 15 gram quartz gold specie. A perfect faint repeatable signal.

Depending on coil selection the 2200 will punch deep and even deeper with the right configurations. Soil type playing a major roll in this subject as well.

I switched to a straight shaft, and installed the Gold Button for quick tracking (Ground balancing) on the fly. You can only do this on minelabs with Fixed/tracking switches. http://www.arizonagoldprospectors.com/invi...howtopic=166910

The 2200 is a nicely accessorized machine with more technical options than the 2100. Although there is not much difference between the 2200D and the 2200 V2 mechanically & physically, I do believe that the 2200v2 being the newest version, has more modern or upgraded components inside the unit than the earlier models 2200 or 2200D. Basically, why would Minelab put a 2009 processor on a 2004 motherboard? You cant ! you hve to upgrade the whole package to modern components.

Hope this helped, and if you dont have 5,000 laying around, then the 2200V2 is a fine machine for the biginner or professional alike.

Adam

Hello Frank...as for the SD2200 I have the D version. I really don't know or used a v2 version. If your going to run this puppy my opinion is get a pair of Blackwidow headsets; the audio is REALLY BAD without a sound enhancer I cant hear a whole lot of anything without one. Also; a Coiltek battery/regulator...I do use a Otto fiberglass shaft, not really necessary, but they are useful when the search coil gets on or about 18.5 Inches. My coil is a Goldstalker elliptical 18.5...After I replaced the metal shaft with the fiberglass one I wanted to see how good it really was by sliding my stock metal rod parallel with the fiberglass one and the detector was going off before I could get it to normal position when mounted. As a matter of fact I know I am opening a can of worms here, but I did a test comparison with a GPX4000 and the SD2200d today. I dug a hole; yea I know not too accurate fort a realistic test, and I sunk a pvc pipe 1" in diameter strait down and reburied it and used a 1.8 gram nugget taped to a non-metallic cloth tape measure and lowered it down a hole and with the above SD2200d set-up in deep mode and low mineralization earth and I got 8" With the GPX I got 7" I did my best to change up the gain, motion, and everything else and 7" is the max I can get with the same Goldstaker coil. The weather was 90 degrees with a 22 mile per hour wind as well during the test. The GPX was very quiet and easy to listen too next to the SD2200d, but it would not get the same depth. The SD2200d was noisy and had some strange interference thumping rhythm to it. Its hard to get away from all EMI and possible wind interference. So for me in quiet search areas I would favor the SD2200d...In an EMI environment the GPX wins hands down. That has been my experience. Good Luck in your choice. I have also tried the same experiment burying the gold nugget totally with the same results... Ironbug

Hey Frank; the 2200 is a good machine. I think an enhancer is a great addition to the 2200...if you buy the 2200 I will let you try one of my enhancer if you want...I used one on my 2000, 2200, gp extream and now on my 3500...the stock battery is fool-proof but the pocket-rocket is way light...they also cost a bit too...in rough ground a dd is a must but most places you can use a mono...if you are after 2-3 grain bits you will need a small coil otherwise the 11, 14 or ufo's work very well on it. I have never used nugget-finder coils on the 2200...coiltek and minelab were the only coils back then...

Have you got a demo of the TDI yet?

Fred

If anyone could compare the 2200 with the TDI that might help some of us sitting on the fence. I have never owned a PI machine, just a GB 1 , but have not had the chance to get out to learn other than the post I read.

Been threating to run away to the gold fields, seems like forever. Later Wyndham

No Frank, I owned it's prototype which is ancient history and a sorry memory. I do have my buddy's TDI which I played with at the beach and coin-hunting in the parks...I also checked my few nuggets and species and some meteorites with it...those posts are back a page or two. I don't think the TDI is for everyone...to really maximize ownership one would have to pay attention and study how to use the machine. If the weather were cooler I would take a few days and test it on some goldfields. I suspect the TDI is a adequate nugget-hunter on the level of a 2000, 2100 or 2200. The interaction of the pulse and Gb settings plus the High/LOw/all options make things complicated to me...but using the suggested settings for coins or beach the machine does what Reg and others claim.

Minelabs find gold of most all sizes and compositions without needing to understand the interactions of those settings...but, one has to wonder how much is missed or ignored since minelabs pi's and the TDI all operating on similar principles...too much tech for me.

If all I wanted is to hunt gold without the option of any type of descrimination I would choose any of the Minelab PI's that I could afford...If I wanted only one Pi that could find gold, work the beach or cherry pick old parks it would most likely be the TDI...and for the best economy it would be used...I still have a pain in my ass from the GS5 but I won't hold that against Whites and the TDI...

When it is all said and done you have to make a choice, put your money down and take a chance...too much thinking only causes indecision and confusion...too little causes a long lasting pain...

fred

When it is all said and done you have to make a choice, put your money down and take a chance...too much thinking only causes indecision and confusion...too little causes a long lasting pain...

fred

You've obviously met at least one of my ex-wives. :smack: - Terry