Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Regmaglitch

Franconia June 13-14

Hi All,

This last weekend, I hunted Franconia, where I met up with my son Erik, and our friend Nate, who were already camped there. Saturday morning, I made the first find of the day with a whopping 191.4 gram individual. I followed that up with another big one less than ten feet away. Including a couple of small fragments that fit on it's top, it was 156.9 grams. Later in the day, I was able to eke out a couple more stones at 10.2 and 25 grams. I didn't find squat on sunday but, my total was 383.5 grams.

Erik, who was working the same thin strip of unhunted ground, found a nice 127 gram stone shortly after. He found more stones that afternoon and even pulled a small one out of a totally pounded area near the tracks on Sunday. They weighed 50, 13.5, 12.4, 3.1, and 2.4 grams. On the interesting side, Erik also found a 38.8 gram stone by eye, that was a good half mile outside the known strewn field. (Hmmmmmm....ponder, ponder)

Nate had already made some great finds before I arrived including a large, beautiful, southside, "L" chondrite. Unfortunately, I don't have a portable scale, so I couldn't get weights on his finds. When he posts he can list the grammage. Anyway, when we were all hunting together, Nate had hit a few but, seemed to be holding out for something special. And sure enough, later in the day - wham his detector screams over one, no two, surface fragments. I checked it out - nice pieces. Detecting again, I glance back and Erik's helping Nate go over the spot, and now there's four pieces! Dang! A few more swings and I look to see them pulling more fragments from the ground! After a while this is like the "Energizer Bunny" that keeps going, and going. Finally, Nate borrowed the bag from my sandwich to keep all the pieces together. I think there were 24 in all. I know it had to weigh more than a hundred grams, maybe more than two hundred. It was incredible just watching it happen, and is a real wake-up call for people to check their dig holes. Nate's stone must have splattered when it hit a surface rock, as the fragments all came from a three foot circle. I can't wait for him to post the total weight.

Lastly, it was too darned hot to be hunting Franconia this late in the season, so I'm positive that we are freakin' nuts. I'm also sure that I won't be going back till there's cooler weather. We'll post pictures later.

Ben

Very nice Ben...there is no stopping youse guys!!! Thanks for the e-mail...maybe we will get together in the fall...

Fred

:icon_mrgreen: I'M Jealous all these multi 100 gram pieces and I don't have one yet, :laught16:

NICE goin guys.

Ben, Man it sure sounds like you all made a lot of finds and had some serious way hot fun. Love to see the PICs. I hope the splatered meteorite puzzle pieces back together; that would great to see :luck: . Clifton

Hay guys yea Ben and erik did well.ben came down friday night this is what i got with them that week end

hers a link to the big one i got

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx277/n...es/SDC10471.jpg

tkw 239 grams..

i also hit upa few outhere that week here the urls for them as well

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx277/n...es/SDC10455.jpg

this ones 116 grams

and there the L i found 87 grams

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx277/n...es/SDC10453.jpg

and a pic of all my findes this week 639 grams or 1.4 pounds it wasa grate hall and run

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx277/n...es/SDC10475.jpg

Thanks guys for comming to hang and you all did well on your finde as well

Nate

Erik, Ben and Nate,

Wow!!! Nice Franconia haul!!! Good on Ya!!! O.K.....so how many pounds have you guys accumulated over all the hunts?

Ben...You say it was hot? and you won't be back till it cools off. Yeah right!! You will get the bug in about two weeks and be back out there hunting some where!!!

Dean

Hi Nate, Erick , Ben and All

Nice finds congrads !! :bowdown: :whoopie: :woohoo:

Happy Huntin John B.

Hi Nate, Erick , Ben and All

Nice finds congrads !! :bowdown: :whoopie: :woohoo:

Happy Huntin John B.

Hay John give me a time and ill drop by and show you that L

DadsTotal.jpg

Ben's Total

EriksTotal.jpg

Erik's Total

a6.jpg

Nate's L

100_0060.jpg

Ben's Insitu

100_0062.jpg

In hand

100_0066.jpg

another one of Ben's finds.

100_0067.jpg

previous find in hand

100_0063.jpg

yet another one of Ben's finds

100_0070.jpg

Ben's fourth find

cIMG_2533.jpg

Desert Pavement!

cIMG_2580.jpg

Sun Set

cIMG_2626.jpg

moon rise fish eye effect!

cIMG_2654.jpg

viewing our finds back at the truck

cIMG_2561.jpg

Nate fish eyed

My hats off to you guys hunting meteorites in the heat of the summer. March and april are to hot for this Mt. dude. Those are some real nice finds. Those broken bits and pieces are fun huntin.

Harry

Aloha you guys,

What can I say but WOOF!! :bowdown: Yes, you guys rock! But what else would we expect from you three. DUH!!! :innocent0009:

Aloha and be sure to be safe out there now.

Stan aka Kaimi

Guys that is one heck of a haul, congratulations to all of you!! :wubu:

Ben I really like the beauty in the upper right hand corner... sigh... it's a beauty! You were due for a run like this, way to go! I know it was hot out there, but with a run like that I'm sure it made all the sweat well worth it.

Nate, what can I say... you the man! You're starting to become a very successful meteorite hunter and your run is proof of this. Just do me a favor and leave some of those L's behind for me... I haven't found one yet!

Erik, nice pictures dude.. a little artistic too. What camera were you using?

Del

Canon XSi with stock 18-55mm lense.

and a fisheye lense i bought on ebay

[Erik]

Man o Man, You guys done good!!! :whoopie: There are several with very very nice character to them. Wonderful!! :woohoo: Also, super nice PICs. Say, did the splatered meteorite puzzle piece together? Clifton

Man o Man, You guys done good!!! :whoopie: There are several with very very nice character to them. Wonderful!! :woohoo: Also, super nice PICs. Say, did the splatered meteorite puzzle piece together? Clifton

yea it dose havent talked a long time to fit it all yet there 24 pices to it so may take a wile

Hey Nate, did you find those with your NEW SD2100? Are you getting used to it or what?

Del

Hey Nate, did you find those with your NEW SD2100? Are you getting used to it or what?

Del

Yea Dell found em all with the 2100 dent here the l, i can hear gold basins so i know it can here em .

The L may be a LL or a relay weathered L like i sead it doesn't have no pull to earth magnet well very little pull, and Ben and Eric both saw it and tested it on a magnet.

But yea I like the 2100 relay picks up them irons ...still need to get me a pocket rocket

I'm sort of getting used to it, takes a little time trying to train my ears for the faint singles wish isn't that much of a leap for using the VLF, just goda lesion for the sounds...

Nate

ya i had to find each piece of the 24 fragments with my GMT because they were spread out withing a five foot radius.

It drove the 2100 up a wall.

There were 3 or 4 nice sized irons that came out of that stone.

Solid proof of the chondritic iron.

[Erik]

Congrats guys, you all did an awesome job!! Just save some for the rest of us... Once I'm done with my Master's, and life slows down I'll be back at it, I hope. Need to train my ears too (especially for gold). Jason :;):

Yea Dell found em all with the 2100 dent here the l, i can hear gold basins so i know it can here em .

The L may be a LL or a relay weathered L like i sead it doesn't have no pull to earth magnet well very little pull, and Ben and Eric both saw it and tested it on a magnet.

But yea I like the 2100 relay picks up them irons ...still need to get me a pocket rocket

I'm sort of getting used to it, takes a little time trying to train my ears for the faint singles wish isn't that much of a leap for using the VLF, just goda lesion for the sounds...

Nate

Nate just keep working with your 2100, once you get used to it you'll love it!!

ya i had to find each piece of the 24 fragments with my GMT because they were spread out withing a five foot radius.

It drove the 2100 up a wall.

There were 3 or 4 nice sized irons that came out of that stone.

Solid proof of the chondritic iron.

[Erik]

Erik it's funny you mention the GMT... I've been having a little bit of fun with mine the last couple weekends-

Nuggets.jpg

The first one (far left) was found with my 4000 equiped with a 16" mono coil and I broke the GMT out to pinpoint it. After that I decided to spend the rest of my time getting used to it. I figured the area warranted the GMT's use- small nuggets, mellow ground, and shallow to bedrock. The perfect opportunity to break it in. I'm glad I did it because that detector helped me nail the other three! :woohoo: Smallest nugget weighed in at 1.5 grains... All I can say is GMT's rock!! :cool04:

Del

Hey Del,

Those are some sweet nuggets. Maybe they have some relatives nearby that should be found. You might need to sluice or drywash that ground. Could be a bunch more there.

Ben