Nugget Shooter Forums

post-3800-1245116606_thumb.jpgpost-3800-1245116635_thumb.jpgpost-3800-1245116694_thumb.jpgpost-3800-1245116740_thumb.jpgYesterday my 10 yr. old Grand Daughter and I went to Holbrook. We found 9 small ones ,and she was happy. We tried to make friends with a snake, but he wasn't interested. I say that he was a bull snake, but Hannah thinks that he was a rattler. We never saw the tail . I will try to send pictures, no promise thou. Also pictures of last Sundays finds. Happy hunting . Doug

Doug,

It is good to see you taking your Grand Daughter along on your hunts! What a great act of love and caring. I have had a blast taking Zaya the Z-man with me on many hunts over the last couple of years! In fact bring her along when we meet down in Holbrook, Hannah and Zaya can hunt together. He says he can't wait to try out your idea!!

Congrats on your finds and on the nice photos!

Dean

Yo Doug, you better keep that young'un close by if you're going to continue wandering the desert....That there is FOR SURE a rattler of the worst kind...See the triangular head????...My grand babies are all little ones now, but I sure hope they will take to the desert like Hannah ... Congrats on doing a great Grandpaing job...Cheers, Unc

Nice finds...for you and your young grand daughter...you can be friends with the snake, just keep your distance. One can buy inexpensive refernece books to learn what various reptiles look like...

Apparently, I was on the wrong side of the tracks...the story of my life...

Fred

Doug,

It is good to see you taking your Grand Daughter along on your hunts! What a great act of love and caring. I have had a blast taking Zaya the Z-man with me on many hunts over the last couple of years! In fact bring her along when we meet down in Holbrook, Hannah and Zaya can hunt together. He says he can't wait to try out your idea!!

Congrats on your finds and on the nice photos!

Dean

Thanks Dean, Hannah and I are looking forward to hunting with you guys. Hope to see you soon. Doug
Yep! Mr Ugly was a Nasty!

Afterlooking and reading about Bull and Gopher snakes, which are from the same family. It is said that a Gopher snakes head is like a rattle snakes. I saw pictures that look a lot like the one we saw. Doug

That was a Rattle Snake!

The last thing you want is to experience Snake Bit.

Check This Out! :innocent0009:

http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/rattlesnakepics.htm

A man here in Deming died a while back after being bitten on the thumb.

:laught16:

Gopher Snake.

gopher-snake-head.jpg NO HEAT PITS NOT A VIPER! Elongated Head!

post-21985-1245180753_thumb.jpg

Guest bedrock bob

After 30 years of living with Western Diamondbacks and Blacktail rattlers in the Chihuahuan desert, I am still amazed at how much a Prairie Rattler looks like a Bull Snake (Great Plains Gopher Snake). In my new home in the north I see them often and it confuses me every time. I still can't tell without a second look if I dont see the rattles! We had them down south but they were few.

1) Bull snakes have a rounder head and no jaw corners like a rattler but the difference is subtle.

2) Bull snakes have a square "block" pattern and a Prarie has a "double diamond"...Very similar...Look for the concave edges on the pattern on their back.

3) The coloration of both is rather "yellow" and is very similar. A Bull snake's belly is yellower, but I wouldnt try to roll one over to take a look at his belly.

It seems like the huge Western Diamondbacks are MUCH more docile than the Prarie Rattlers. A Diamondback rattles when you are a half mile away...Praries rattle when you are 3 feet away! It seems that the Prairie is much more apt to strike too.

Even if it is a Bull Snake (which the photo is definitely not) they will bite you and leave a hell of a septic wound. Although they are not poisonous they can hurt you bad. I know a farmer that was bit trying to get a bull snake out of a plow and he has a big scar and a depression in his arm where things rotted away. They dont want to bite you but they certainly will.

Bedrock Bob

Congratulations finding that many! What a successful hunt. Hope you do just was well if not better next time you go up there!

[Erik]

Doug, Congrads to your granddaughter on her fines. It is great that you take her hunting. She will aways remember the trips with grandpa meteorite hunting.

As for the rattler. I used to collect them for live trade years ago, so I know what they look like, but still I'm very careful. I always look where I'm walking and always check the near by brush as I reach down. I mean I triple look!!! In sandy area I wipe the sand with the magnet stick if I think it's a good spot for a sidewinder, which occasionally burry themselves in sand. If I were bitten, I would 911 immediately and ask for a helicopter to the GPS cords, then ask for them to coordinate a flight to the nearest hospital with Crotaline Fab antivenom. (see link below) I read somewhere that hospitals that used to keep 8 vials at all times, but now are cutting back to 4 or less as a cost saving measure; they cost $4,000 each vial, and you may need as many a 16 over a week or so (??). The vials go bad after 2 (??) years, so if no one uses it, it's a loss. I often thought it be a good idea to call around to Flagstaff, Kingman, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Santa Fe, etc. hospitals to see which had the stuf. Also, as most of you know, walking the desert at 9 pm, or later, in the summer, without a flashlight is probably not a good idea. Clifton

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/...tract/110/5/968

Guest bedrock bob

Hey, one more clue, and it is probably the best. A rattler has "keeled" scales. Each scale has a ridge running down the middle of it. They appear "rough" or "shaggy". A Bull snake is smooth and kind of shiny looking, and has smaller cup shaped scales. Every rattlesnake I can think of has very definitely "keeled" scales and does not "shine" at all.

...it is kind of like the difference between a meteorite and a terrestrial rock. A definite color and texture difference.

Bedrock Bob

I had a Mojave latch on to the toe of my boot one time. Changed my shorts that day!

I stepped on a rattler to cold to move one time. I thought I stepped on a cow flop and looked down to see it.

Most Rattle snakes will lift their head and tail and back away from you!

The Mojaves will come to see who is messing with it.!!!!!

Mojaves have a mean streak!

Hi Doug and All

Gopher,bull and pine snakes are all the same species but different subspeices and habitat :twocents: . They as well all have keeled scales same as rattlesnakes :confused0013: . Since looking for keels on the scales of a snake that you ain't got no clue what the heck it is just ain't tooo smart :hmmmmmm: . The rattler in your picture is a crotalus virdes ( prarie rattler ) although they are generally easy tempered still can deliver a nasty bite. So leave the scale checking to someone who gives a rats ass :laught16: . Nice finds Doug !!

Happy Huntin John B.

Thanks for all the comments about my post. I would like to assure everyone that I was joking about wanting to be friends with that snake. We were never closer than 8 or 10 ft . Thank God for zoom. I keep my distance even when I know that it is not dangerous. The first thing that I told Hannah was to always be looking for snakes. Thanks again for all the great replys. Doug

Guest bedrock bob
Hi Doug and All

Gopher,bull and pine snakes are all the same species but different subspeices and habitat :twocents: . They as well all have keeled scales same as rattlesnakes :confused0013: . Since looking for keels on the scales of a snake that you ain't got no clue what the heck it is just ain't tooo smart :hmmmmmm: . The rattler in your picture is a crotalus virdes ( prarie rattler ) although they are generally easy tempered still can deliver a nasty bite. So leave the scale checking to someone who gives a rats ass :laught16: . Nice finds Doug !!

Happy Huntin John B.

Hey, I wasn't suggesting a comparative study of the scales or anything like that. I was just pointing out that the rattlesnake's larger and slightly different shaped scales creted a texture difference that is a dead give away. A rattlesnake has a "rougher" texture and a bull snake is a little "shiny"...or at least that is the best way I can describe it.

At least I didnt speak about the unique pattern of scales on the nose, that would be just too much.

I thought the analogy with meteorites was a good one but then that was probably not too smart either.

I figured that the sight clues that I could offer someone who is not familiar with the various species of snakes would be helpful. I suppose no one gives a rat's ass and anything that I have noticed that helps me identify a snake would only work in my simple little world and could not possibly be of value to anyone else.

Bedrock Bob

Hey, I wasn't suggesting a comparative study of the scales or anything like that. I was just pointing out that the rattlesnake's larger and slightly different shaped scales creted a texture difference that is a dead give away. A rattlesnake has a "rougher" texture and a bull snake is a little "shiny"...or at least that is the best way I can describe it.

At least I didnt speak about the unique pattern of scales on the nose, that would be just too much.

I thought the analogy with meteorites was a good one but then that was probably not too smart either.

I figured that the sight clues that I could offer someone who is not familiar with the various species of snakes would be helpful. I suppose no one gives a rat's ass and anything that I have noticed that helps me identify a snake would only work in my simple little world and could not possibly be of value to anyone else.

Bedrock Bob

Thats not true Bob, I like reading all your posts. The best one was the Cow slap. You keep posting and I will keep reading. Your Friend Doug
Guest bedrock bob

What an honor Doug! Thank you very much. Those little stories are a lot of fun to write, and of course a fellow writes one in hopes that someone would really get a kick out of it. Also, I figure it was a hell of a lot more fun than posting photos of a dead cow. Some adventures are a lot better written down.

See ya this fall in Holbrook Doug!

Bob

I posted that all venomous snakes in northern America have a blunt Tail.

The Moccasin and Copper head have a pointed tail.

:outtahere: