Nugget Shooter Forums

Would Dragging A Bar Of Magnets Find Meteorites?

I'm wondering if I screwed a bunch of rare earth magnets to a board and dragged it over the ground if I would pick up meteorites at some of the popular Arizona strewn fields. I read in "Rocks From Space" that the famous Harvey Nininger did something like this around Meteor Crater AZ. by dragging magnets behind a vehicle and picked up lots of small iron meteorites.

What do you think? Might this work and what problems might I encounter. I've never hunted for meteorite before.

I've never seen or used one of these strong magnets. Any advise on what pull strength magnets I might need? What pull strength magnets do you use in the field?

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Guest bedrock bob
I'm wondering if I screwed a bunch of rare earth magnets to a board and dragged it over the ground if I would pick up meteorites at some of the popular Arizona strewn fields. I read in "Rocks From Space" that the famous Harvey Nininger did something like this around Meteor Crater AZ. by dragging magnets behind a vehicle and picked up lots of small iron meteorites.

What do you think? Might this work and what problems might I encounter. I've never hunted for meteorite before.

I've never seen or used one of these strong magnets. Any advise on what pull strength magnets I might need? What pull strength magnets do you use in the field?

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

I used a neo magnet to drag out everal small pieces in Holbrook from the deflation "rips" in those hummocks. Since then I got a big "donut" type neo magnet (Applied Magents) and epoxied a mount on it. It goes right on a detector pole and has enough pull to suck a BB sized Holbrook out from under 1/2" of dry sand.

I am going to epoxy two smaller round neo magnets into a GBII small elliptical coil cover. This will give some serious magnetic pull and be able to swing it like a detector. For those buried meteorites that are not detectable it should provide a little edge. Maybe install a "claw" on the heel end to rip up the compacted dirt and allow a little more "lift" for stones stuck to the hardpan.

Still I believe that the "stoop and look" methos is the best. Those kind of meteorites dont have enough magnetic pull to stick to a magnetic rake for very long...They come right off with the force of being pulled through the dirt. You would have to check the magnets after every few pulls to keep from loosing them. Maybe an iron would be different.

Bedrock Bob