Nugget Shooter Forums

ATV Holbrook Field

Mel,

Yes, there is plenty of room to roam around on an ATV. But if you are hunting meteorites, you have to use your feet. The Holbrook meteorites are mostly very small and the only way you will find one is to walk slowly and look very cerefully. Check any likely rocks with a magnet. :confused0013:

Hunting here is totally different from hunting at Franconia.

But if you are only interested in riding around, there has to be better places to do it. :twocents:

Bob

Someone recently commented that a detector is of no use on the Holbrook field....Do the meteorites simply not sound off or ???? Thanks, cheers, Unc

Uncle Ron,

That is correct. Check out the post I just made about Holbrook.

First off, the Holbrook meteorite field overlies a big salt dome and it is virtually impossible to ground balance a detector.

Secondly, the meteorites are very low iron and it is difficult for the detector to see them. These two combinatons pretty much make a detector useless.

Back in the fall of 2007, Silver Dog Doug found a "big" Holbrook at 32+ grams using a magnetic cane. I placed it on the ground and could barely hear it with my detector (Gold Master 3). And since most Holbrook meteorites are much, much smaller, I can understand why they can't be heard with a detector. All the guys in the group using detectors did not have any success.

I suppose if one was lucky enough to swing his detector over a very rare larger Holbrook, his detector may see it. :innocent0002:

Keep on a hunting,

Bob

Mel,

Yes, there is plenty of room to roam around on an ATV. But if you are hunting meteorites, you have to use your feet. The Holbrook meteorites are mostly very small and the only way you will find one is to walk slowly and look very cerefully. Check any likely rocks with a magnet. :confused0013:

Hunting here is totally different from hunting at Franconia.

But if you are only interested in riding around, there has to be better places to do it. :twocents:

Bob

Guest bedrock bob
Bob... thanks for the reply.

My wife can not walk to far. Was hoping we could get acess with out a lot of walking.

You can drive right through the middle of the Holbrook field and find specks within 2 feet of your car. Or, you can walk miles and find them that way too. No special vehicle is needed unless you want to hunt the extreme edges of the strewn field, and even then you will have to leave the vehicle and walk very slowly to spot one.

The hunt is no different than finding arrowheads. It is a game of color and texture. When the color and texture lines up the rocks will stick to a magnet. Once I saw one I knew it was a meteortie before I ever touched the magnet to it.

My best finds were made sitting on my butt within 20 feet of the road, or crawling across the dirt on my knees. You might have to travel far to get a big one, but the small ones are everywhere and not too much trouble to find once you get the hang of it.

I have yet to hunt a strewn field or a placer area that an ATV would be of use to me. Not to say that they are not useful for some, but I have never had the need for one. In my experience there are either good 4WD roads available or you just have to hoof it. Where Holbrook is concerned, put her in the Cadillac, park in the middle of the strewn field and good luck!

Bob

You can drive right through the middle of the Holbrook field and find specks within 2 feet of your car. Or, you can walk miles and find them that way too. No special vehicle is needed unless you want to hunt the extreme edges of the strewn field, and even then you will have to leave the vehicle and walk very slowly to spot one.

The hunt is no different than finding arrowheads. It is a game of color and texture. When the color and texture lines up the rocks will stick to a magnet. Once I saw one I knew it was a meteortie before I ever touched the magnet to it.

My best finds were made sitting on my butt within 20 feet of the road, or crawling across the dirt on my knees. You might have to travel far to get a big one, but the small ones are everywhere and not too much trouble to find once you get the hang of it.

I have yet to hunt a strewn field or a placer area that an ATV would be of use to me. Not to say that they are not useful for some, but I have never had the need for one. In my experience there are either good 4WD roads available or you just have to hoof it. Where Holbrook is concerned, put her in the Cadillac, park in the middle of the strewn field and good luck!

Bob