Nugget Shooter Forums

Nice Weekend at Franconia

Hi All, this weekend Mike, Paul, and I hunted Franconia to get some a little bit more time in the field before it gets to hot. I haven't been hitting the place hard lately because I've been busy hunting other locations. The weather was a little warm with the occasional breeze and it was manageable.

This time around, we all hunted Franconia a little different. While Mike and I were scoping out new spots he suggested hunting visually. He stepped up on some pavement looked down and what do you know he walked right up to a meteorite! Motivated from Mikes find, I decided to give it a try since I have to learn how to do it eventually. About ten minutes later I nailed my first one, a 3.6 grammer. I called Mike over and challenged him to find it. I kept asking him "do you see it" (it was right on front of me) and he couldn't find it. Then he looked down to his side and said "ohhh.. here it is"... all I could say was "darn... I walked right by that!" :grrr01: :laught16: Hunted a little bit more then decided to fire up my detector. A couple hours later I nailed a nice 190 grammer! :woohoo:

190 gram in-situ-

1898_in-situ.jpg

190 gram close up-

1898_Franconia_Meteorite.jpg

Weekend take-

franconia-6-7-2009.jpg

7 chondrites total- 3.1, 3.7, 3.9, 4.3, 9.1, 17.1 and 190 grams totaling 231.2 grams

1 funky looking iron

Mike and Paul wussed out on me and left after we hunted on saturday... I guess they couldn't hang with another day of hunting! :laught16: I stayed the night saturday and hunted all day sunday where I scored three more with the detector and three more visually. Hunting Franconia visually is a different ball game, but once you start getting the hang of it, it's pretty fun! Thanks for showing me how it's done Mike!

One more thing... can somebody tell me what type of lizard this is?

Lizard.jpg

Sure is a nice looking lizard.

Happy Hunting! :cool:

Del

Aloha Del,

Nice haul for a short trip out there. I also started doing the visual thing on the way to a couple of waaaay out spots and it surprized me to actually find a couple that way. Just got to keep your eyes peeled in the "whats wrong with this picture" mode.

BTW, that lizard is a female gambelia wislizeni. Got that info from my new hunting buddy who is a student at UNLV. He is also the guy who turned me on to Native American rockart here in nevada and utah

Aloha and be safe,

Stan aka Kaimi

Wow, great haul of Franconia's..... nice job. :whoopie: It goes to show that if you put the time in....you'll find -em... :icon_mrgreen:

As for the Lizard...hummmm... I'd have to say, maybe a Howardite or possibly a Diogenite. The chondrals are visible, looks like the iron flakes have rusted a bit.... very nice specimen either way.. :laught16:

best wishes and many more great hunt's, jim "bones" :coffeetime: :outtahere:

Thanks guys! Yeah Stan nailed it, it's a female Leopard lizard. I wasn't sure what it was because of the orange markings. After searching around on the internet I came across something that said they have those markings during breeding season. Never seen that! :hmmmmmm: She was pretty big too, her body was ~6 inches... probably the biggest lizard I've seen out there.

Del

Nice looking meteorites Del. Many times I have spotted Meteorites before they sounded off on the detector. The last time I hunted Franconia three of four were completly covered by soil,but it pays to keep looking ahead of your coil

Harry

Del, Very nice set of finds :whoopie:. And many by sight alone that's great!!! About the lizard, I though I'd relate a story. Once, out in the desert I found a 50 yard chalk line pulled off the bobbin. The end had a fuzzy frayed knot. I pulled the line through the desert walkin home with the frayed knot behind me about 40 yards. I kept thinkin dam this line is getting hook up on something. I looked back and a leopard lizard was attacking the frayed knot and trying to run off with it. I pulled it a little more and it would attack it agian. Till then I didn't know you could fish for lizards. :arrowheadsmiley: Anyway, Great finds!!! That 190 grammer sure is pretty. See Ya Out There :icon_mrgreen: Clifton

Harry and Clifton, thanks for the repsonses guys. Yeah it definitaly pays to keep your eyes peeled for meteorites sitting on top of the ground because I've scored quite a few this way. Though this was the first time I've actually set the detector down and hunted only with my eyes... it works and you cover a heck of a lot more ground faster than swinging the detector.

Del