Nugget Shooter Forums

Nugget Shooting in Australia/ Customs Question

A question for anyone that has been to Australia nad brought home gold: What are the customs implications? Did you declare your gold nuggets either leaving the country or coming back into the U.S.? I will be taking a small group of gold prospectors to Australia next July. Since we will all be using the Minelab 4500, I know we'll be coming home with some gold. What if I find a 4-5 ouncer? Will I have a problem with customs? Thanks for your comments! - Terry

A question for anyone that has been to Australia nad brought home gold: What are the customs implications? Did you declare your gold nuggets either leaving the country or coming back into the U.S.? I will be taking a small group of gold prospectors to Australia next July. Since we will all be using the Minelab 4500, I know we'll be coming home with some gold. What if I find a 4-5 ouncer? Will I have a problem with customs? Thanks for your comments! - Terry

I just got off the telephone with U.S. Customs, and here is the skinny: Gold coins, medals, and bullion (nuggets) may be brought into the U.S. However, under regulations administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control, such items originating in or brought from, Cuba, Iran, and Sudan are prohibited entry. There is no duty on gold coins, medals or bullion (nuggets), however, if the value of the gold is over $10,000, it must be declared to a CBP officer and must be reported on the FinCEN 105 form. - Terry

Hello Terry....I've brought back gold from New Zeland....Austrailia....Papua New Guinea...Brazil...

best do what you've started....but go one step further and print the rules from the webb site....

in the USA and Au.....like most Gov. employees Customs people try to make up their own rules

sometimes and if you don't have the rules on paper handy your going to loose the argument...

Rule#1....on leaving and entering a country if you don't declare it and they(customs) find it your

going to loose it...they declare it "contraband"...bye bye gold....

Rule#2....customs has no way of determining the true value of raw gold nuggets(ie: % gold

content) so if you have in your estimate $10,000.00 worth of nuggets at spot price then to be

fair to all declare $5,000.00 which is still tax free

Rule#3....customs are always worried about bringing in a disease...so if you say you've been on a

farm in the last 30 days your going to get sprayed down with a powder to kill crawly things....

Rule#4....don't put on the declaration form "gold"...instead put down these words:"sanitized ore

speciman"...that's the magic words they are looking for...if they ask how you sanitized your ore

specimen just say you soaked it in Nitric acid for 24 hrs.....then neutralized the acid with baking

soda and water....

These rules only apply to ENTERING the USA....be sure to read the rules for LEAVING Austrailia...

Hello Terry....I've brought back gold from New Zeland....Austrailia....Papua New Guinea...Brazil...

best do what you've started....but go one step further and print the rules from the webb site....

in the USA and Au.....like most Gov. employees Customs people try to make up their own rules

sometimes and if you don't have the rules on paper handy your going to loose the argument...

Rule#1....on leaving and entering a country if you don't declare it and they(customs) find it your

going to loose it...they declare it "contraband"...bye bye gold....

Rule#2....customs has no way of determining the true value of raw gold nuggets(ie: % gold

content) so if you have in your estimate $10,000.00 worth of nuggets at spot price then to be

fair to all declare $5,000.00 which is still tax free

Rule#3....customs are always worried about bringing in a disease...so if you say you've been on a

farm in the last 30 days your going to get sprayed down with a powder to kill crawly things....

Rule#4....don't put on the declaration form "gold"...instead put down these words:"sanitized ore

speciman"...that's the magic words they are looking for...if they ask how you sanitized your ore

specimen just say you soaked it in Nitric acid for 24 hrs.....then neutralized the acid with baking

soda and water....

These rules only apply to ENTERING the USA....be sure to read the rules for LEAVING Austrailia...

:bowdown: GREAT POST!!!! Thank you so much for this fantastic advice Garimpo! - Terry

Since we will all be using the Minelab 4500, I know we'll be coming home with some gold.

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. :smrt1: I know a few people who went to Australia and a couple of them were even bragging about how they were going to pay for the trip and have some gold left on top of that. They both got :skunkkitty2: :laught16: :laught16: :laught16:

Steve

I brought nuggies back from oz twice with no problem...when I went the reg's said non-commercial gold collecting are not subject to those regs...

With respect;I am curious, are you teaming up with an Oz based tour company...if you are operating a tour company it seems to me you would have a better grasp of the regulations...Oz ain't the same as the USA.

Fred

I brought nuggies back from oz twice with no problem...when I went the reg's said non-commercial gold collecting are not subject to those regs...

With respect;I am curious, are you teaming up with an Oz based tour company...if you are operating a tour company it seems to me you would have a better grasp of the regulations...Oz ain't the same as the USA.

Fred

Oh Yes! We have indeed teamed up with a company in Australia. Since this will be my first time in Australia, I just want to make sure I have the right answers. After taking almost two-years to wade through all the red tape, state and federal laws right here in the USA, I know enough to know I don't know everything! You folks - and this forum, are a SUPER resource! - Terry

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. :smrt1: I know a few people who went to Australia and a couple of them were even bragging about how they were going to pay for the trip and have some gold left on top of that. They both got :skunkkitty2: :laught16: :laught16: :laught16:

Steve

I hear ya Steve!!! :headphones: With two ex-wives and more bills than you can shake a stick at I have learned to think positive; concentrate on success; and be prepared if you get smacked in the head by reality!! :shrug: - Terry

Hi Terry;

would you care to share your information with the members...there is always an interest in Australia but the task of organizing a trip is whelming for most...I know all the semi-professionals go for months but that is not practical for many people. Two weeks is deemed an eternity by many wives/husbands...personally I won't go for less than six weeks...I should have had a trip in place for this year but it didn't work out, yet...for sure next year.

FYI, for those interested spring/summer here is the gold hunting season there as the seasons are reversed.

Fred

Hi Terry;

would you care to share your information with the members...there is always an interest in Australia but the task of organizing a trip is whelming for most...I know all the semi-professionals go for months but that is not practical for many people. Two weeks is deemed an eternity by many wives/husbands...personally I won't go for less than six weeks...I should have had a trip in place for this year but it didn't work out, yet...for sure next year.

FYI, for those interested spring/summer here is the gold hunting season there as the seasons are reversed.

Fred

Absolutely Fred! As soon as I get a lock on the airfares from L.A., and in Western Australia, as well as the hotel for day of arrival and departure, I'll make the info available to all. This is our first trip to "Oz," and we only have space for eight more folks, so let me make sure everything is locked into place. You, and anyone else that may be interested can email me at the AGA site, and I'll send you the dope as soon as I have all the contracts signed. We are probably looking at somewhere just south of $900.00-a day, all inclusive. - Terry

A couple of more tips Terry....since your going to West Au. leave your mono coils at home...their

just extra weight....better to use a 16 or 18 inch DD....most of your targets are going to be little

brown rocks that look like dog turds and are usually on top of the ground....first day there get

yourselves a "fossickers license"...it's cheap and good for life...be sure everyone has a GPS and

knows how to find their way back to camp with it...and buy AMERICAN batteries for it...I could make

you a list a mile long(learned the hard way) but I'll take a rest for now....

A couple of more tips Terry....since your going to West Au. leave your mono coils at home...their

just extra weight....better to use a 16 or 18 inch DD....most of your targets are going to be little

brown rocks that look like dog turds and are usually on top of the ground....first day there get

yourselves a "fossickers license"...it's cheap and good for life...be sure everyone has a GPS and

knows how to find their way back to camp with it...and buy AMERICAN batteries for it...I could make

you a list a mile long(learned the hard way) but I'll take a rest for now....

Super, super helpful! You can't find info like this ANYWHERE ELSE! Thank You! - Terry