Nugget Shooter Forums
gold fault

out by Little San domingo today

I went out early this morning to throw some dirt around on some roadrunner claims and as I was putting my equipment away an older gentleman by the name of Dick came walking by. He looked pretty winded and he told me that him and his buddy had driven back in his pickup to some of the GPAA claims. As they went over a hill they realized too late that it was a drop off and the front end went off the edge with the front wheels were left dangling in space. Dick, who is 77, stated that his partner, who is about as old and can't see well, tried for quite a while, but couldn't get the truck unstuck. So Dick headed out to find help. I took Dick back up to the GPAA claims and we searched for an hour, but couldn't find his truck or his buddy. Dick told me that his memory is not what it used to be and he could not remember exactly where the truck was. I tried to get Dick to come with me to the Morristown fire department, but he refused stating that he needed to find his friend. So I gave him all my water and I went into Morristown and talked with some folks at the fire department. They assured me that they would send some folks out to locate Dick and the truck. So, being concerned about Dick's welfare I was wondering if anyone out there in the Morristown area has any idea if these folks were found. Bob

That is scary!

Any news on this?

If anybody hears that they still need help getting the vehical out let me know.

I'm near by and need a good reason to dust off one of the Jeeps.

Blake

Cell 623-910-0626

Yo All...The story of the lost elderly men came out in the Wickenburg paper today...Here it is:

Joint effort rescues two men

By Janet DelTufo, Assistant Editor

A joint effort that included several public safety agencies led to a rescue last week in Morristown of two Wickenburg men in their late 70s.

According to Circle City/Morristown Fire Chief Harry Dame, the rescue came eight hours after two men in a vehicle became stranded in the Morristown desert. The two men have not been identified due to privacy concerns.

A man - who refused to identify himself - entered the Morristown firehouse about 11 a.m. last Wednesday and reported seeing a man wandering in the desert. Without providing any specific details of the location, and refusing to lead rescuers to the scene, fire department personnel began to search for the two men.

“I am not sure why this man did not want to tell us who he was or why he would not show us the way, but I am grateful that he at least let us know what was happening with these two men,” Dame said. “It was very hot and they were out there for a number of hours without water. We were lucky we found them when we did.”

The search began with the Circle City/Morristown Fire Department, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office (MCSO) and Lifeline Ambulance. Wickenburg Fire Chief Ed Temerowski heard Dame’s calls on his radio and sent out a squad truck and two members of the Wickenburg Fire Department to aide in the rescue effort.

Nearly 45 minutes into the search, Dame began to worry about the health and welfare of the two men and decided to call helicopter service “Trauma Flight” and ask for help.

Within several minutes, Trauma Flight took off from Del E. Webb Hospital to join the search. While in route to Morristown, Dame located one man who had left the truck to seek help and gotten lost.

“He was pretty much out of it by the time we found him,” Dame said. “He was disoriented, and he told us that he might not have made it out there another 15 minutes.”

Trauma Flight arrived shortly after Dame located the wandering man, and within just a few minutes the helicopter service located the other man in the stranded truck.

The man who was on foot was taken to the hospital for treatment and his friend in the truck went with him, although he did not believe he needed any medical assistance.

Dame credits the quick response from the assisting agencies for the success of the rescue.

“Without hesitation, Wickenburg Fire, MCSO, Lifeline and especially Trauma Flight joined the search, and we were able to save two lives,” Dame said. “These two men did not have a cell phone and were approximately 2.5 miles west of Castle Hot Springs Road. They were in rugged terrain and I am happy to say it all ended well … both men are in good condition today.”

Wow! That was close!!!!! Thank God for the brave folks that go out and find these people. They will all be in my prayers again tonight. - Terry

Okay, let me set a couple things straight on the great reporting that was done. I did not tell them my last name because it was not necessary. They never asked me to take them back to where the men were. I showed them on a map that is hanging on the wall in the firestation about where the man I had helped was. I also told them that they were back on the GPAA claims and gave them the names of the claims. I guess the main thing here is that the guys were helped out and that they will be okay. Still kind of pisses me off though. Bob

Okay, let me set a couple things straight on the great reporting that was done. I did not tell them my last name because it was not necessary. They never asked me to take them back to where the men were. I showed them on a map that is hanging on the wall in the firestation about where the man I had helped was. I also told them that they were back on the GPAA claims and gave them the names of the claims. I guess the main thing here is that the guys were helped out and that they will be okay. Still kind of pisses me off though. Bob

Bob, you did the right thing. You took him back to where he thought his friend was and spent an hour searching. You couldn't force him to go to Morristown and you gave him all your water before you did the only sensible thing to do and went to report it. The fire chief didn't need to go in to all that the paper claims he said, if he really did say all that. If you hadn't done what you did and reported it Dick and his friend would probably be dead.

Bob, Job well done! Don't let the reporting get to you. The media is out of control and has never been an accurate source of information. I don't take the news paper any more nor do I watch the news because the media reports nothing but half truths (at best) and sensationalistic B.S..

Dean

Those ol' guys are lucky that you helped them...they broke all the rules and survived...many lessons to be learned there...

You did the best you could...

Fred

Yup good ending!

You did all the right things Bob, even if the paper did screw up the reporting.

These guys obviosly had no buisness being out in the desert. They broke every rule and their pride almost got them both killed.

Please don't worry about the newspaper Bob! I've done hundreds of press conferences and interviews over the last twenty-years, and NOT ONE story has ever been entirely correct! The reporter was either in too much of a hurry, or didn't care to work hard enough to run down your end of the story. Bottom line is this: YOU KNOW YOU SAVED TWO LIVES - and so do we! God bless you! - Terry

Having practiced law in some of California'a top courts for 35 years and being misquoted many times I can vouch from experience that the media doesn't always get it right. My old law school professor (Bill Prosser -- Torts) reminded us many times NEVER, EVER rely on a news story for accuracy. It also has been my experience that some reporters tend to "create" a story by passing off their perceptions as facts. It sounds like that is what went on here (deflecting focus from the STORY to the potential NEW STORY -- kinda like what Katie Couric and others did with Sarah Palin). Bob did right and should not have had his escutcheon tarnished by speculative opinion that was passed off as fact. The trouble with fighting a newspaper is that it publishes a whole lot more newspapers than we do. But a virtue of a web site like this one is that the truth usually comes out by discussion among those who know their subject matter.

Hey!!!! Wait a minute!!!...... I put myself through college working as a newspaper reporter and editor (Bakersfield & Fresno)... (also construction laborer) and I always got everything right every time all the time... :laught16::laught16::laught16: ...I got paid by the column inch ($0.25/inch) so I always wrote very thorough, very long, very fact-filled, enlightening and entertaining reports... :laught16::laught16: ... Believe me, chisling a stone tablet can be dang hard work!!! :innocent0009: ...Cheers, UNc

Bob it ain,t the first time the fact,s have been messed with,It is all about ones "agenda."Those poor old bastards where in way over there heads, It happens, Seems to me the water you gave up let them tell there story. Good for you. Hell we can,t same ,them all,That the big guy,s job. :twocents:

Bob: Bob you did the right thing the right way. If you had gave your name--there goes your privacy. Glad to see we

are not all glory hounds.