Nugget Shooter Forums

Hunting on Arizona State Land?

nvchris

That's not much between five people. Were you able to recoup your investment? Could you spend less for fewer people? Thank you. Have a good evening.

Arch,

We spent about 10 grand that was split between 5 of us.

That did not include travel or equipment related costs.

nvchris

We thought it was allot at the time conceding the impact of our activity which consisted of girding a small area with GPR and MD's.

Btw we were treasure hunting. In the POA we stated we were looking for a load of gold and silver :) Never saw anyone from any agency other then 1 game Ranger the whole time (3 months).

Now were working on permission to search on a "float" near the original area.

We did recoup part of the "bond".

nvchris

NV Chris

No Thanks,I have made my living in the last few years on mostly State

Land ,and am quite capable of conducting my own business. I don't resort

to out right fraud as you did in your post above either.

A Treasure Trove permit is a whole different ball game,than a mineral

prospecting permit. And if you had of made a mineral discovery and applied

for a mining permit ,acting on a fraudulent permit,you would still be in jail.

Mine inspectors or other agencies wouldn't show up for a fly by night,minor

treasure trove permit.

The words ,in the past,did,and used to,should be a clue to any newbe.

I used to do a lot of permits on State land on the cheap. Those same type of

permits are not even practical now.

You forgot one small detail in your cut and paste list of requirements. It is

called indemnity and general liability insurance. Stuff always sounds easy

until you read the fine print. Also the $3000.00 bond is the absolute minimum

and is worthless for any real work.

The first thing the bonding and insurance companies will ask for is a complete

financial statement,past mining experience,and qualifications for mining related

projects. Mining is a high risk,and expensive business to insure or bond. Your

premiums and cost will be based on past history,financial backing,and liquid assets,

plus the added environmental,and property damage risk.

The truth is,you can buy a patented mining claim,cheaper than you can get a

minimum type State exploration permit,that will even give you the slightest chance

of finding a real mine.

The $500.00 non refundable filing fee should be a tip off. No experience,under funded,

first time,wanna be prospectors,will just hand over $500.00 to hear NO from the review

board.

Sawmill,

Why thank you for the kind words!

Your jumping to conclusions, making accusations that you have no knowledge of. How do you know what permits we did or didn't have.

You really don't know. And haven't a clue as to what the facts are in my dealings.

nvchris

PS in case you want to browse the public records and see just what we did the name is Chris Porter.

Hey just a question, because you guys are all the experts...Are the laws so undefined or opaque that its hard to determine what is what? I have seen ths type of disagreement before and I was wondering why?

I know its something you guys are passionate about.

Dude, Arch Stanton (the grave next to), If your talking like this weekend going out to try it ?? then stick to Federal BLM land ( no permits required for the most part). It is your responsibility to make sure that you are not on active mining claims when you do so. There is no reason to even mess with state land, so dont worry about it, as there is plenty of BLM land to use.

I'm going to stay away from state land. There is a outing with a club tomorrow. I hope to meet up with them. I can get some pointers on using the GMT and nugget shooting. Thanks for the advice.

quote name='adam' date='Jun 5 2009, 06:37 PM' post='118597']

Dude, Arch Stanton (the grave next to), If your talking like this weekend going out to try it ?? then stick to Federal BLM land ( no permits required for the most part). It is your responsibility to make sure that you are not on active mining claims when you do so. There is no reason to even mess with state land, so dont worry about it, as there is plenty of BLM land to use.

Earl

The thing that bugs you,is I don't believe some of the BS posted by

others. And for your information my claims are bordered by State and

Private land. The Lady Fish and Game officer shows up real regular on

my claims. She uses the parking area to check the State land with a

large spotting scope,and uses the ridge top too.

Also She and other officers ride horses or ATV's through my claims to

get to the State land. I have met them in some real out of the way places

at all different times.

Also the wild land fire fighters use my claims to practice water drops.

They use a Highway Patrol helicopter to drop the water. The County

Sheriffs dept uses a shooting range at the front of my claims. I get to see

and talk to these folks quite often. I met both Highway Patrol pilots and got

to check out their helicopter. Both wave as they fly over every day,and yes

do check the area. They also check the Alamo Lake,and Wickiup area

because it is in their normal flight path.

The rancher that owns the ranch next to my claims,also has the grazing

lease on the State land and my claims. He is a nice guy and keeps an eye

on things for me. He also keeps an eye on the State land,and is back there

quite a lot.

There is people watching,just because you don't see them,doesn't mean

that they don't see you. The chance of getting caught in the wrong place

is getting greater all the time. I know that some agency types ,don't get out

and do their job. Its easy to get lulled into thinking they are all like that.

But sooner or later a guy will meet up with the one that is on the ball.

I have worked with an around all the agencies for over 40 years in four

states including the Indian tribes,and large land owners. Knowing how they

work, what equipment they have,and what is going on is not paranoid.

This is a recreational hobby forum,so when I give advice to a newbe,it is

directed towards the recreational side of prospecting. Recreational prospecting

is not allowed on Arizona State Land. If Arch had of been a professional or

commercial miner,he wouldn't be on this forum asking basic questions. So the

answer is still NO,Plain and Simple.

I went out today with the prospecting club. They seem like a nice group. Although, I didn't find anyone to give me expert tips on the GMT. I'll just have to get the dvd and practice. Found a lot of big nails and other rusty metal. I also found some magnetized rocks. Are these hot rocks? Thanks again for the help.

Arch,

It will take time to learn the machine. But don't get discouraged some folks spend years before finding there first nugget. Your on the right track by joining a club.

Try a small test nugget when when you start out each day lead split shot will do.

Yes any rock that responds to the unit is likely a hot rock.

Try a search of this (and other) forum odds are you'll find loads of information about the GMT.

Good Luck!

nvchris

Arch,

I've followed this thread from the beginning and you have gotten some very sound advice. NVChris has given you some sound advice on the detector. I had my GMT for about a year and no one to help. I read the book, researched for information here on Nuggetshooter. The number 1 thing to remember is get to know your machine. If your finding old nails and bullets your heading in the right direction. I went 8 months before my first nugget. So stick with it and that first one will come and trust me and others IT WILL BE SWEET.

As for State Land, it seems to me that the law is subject to who interupts it. It's funny that a simple Law can be so complex. Sawmill is right, you will be jumping thru hoops in one state and in another, it's brushed off. I've found that state land is good for grtting from point A to point B, just as long as it's not fenced off, or posted with state signs.

OL'29er

nvchris and OL'29er,

Thanks for the tips and encouragement. What book about the GMT did you read? The guys at the hunt just set it like the quick-start directions say. Did you find the Whites GMT DVD helpful? I'm going to steer clear of state land, as I don't want any problems. Thanks again to all for the help.

Arch,

I've followed this thread from the beginning and you have gotten some very sound advice. NVChris has given you some sound advice on the detector. I had my GMT for about a year and no one to help. I read the book, researched for information here on Nuggetshooter. The number 1 thing to remember is get to know your machine. If your finding old nails and bullets your heading in the right direction. I went 8 months before my first nugget. So stick with it and that first one will come and trust me and others IT WILL BE SWEET.

As for State Land, it seems to me that the law is subject to who interupts it. It's funny that a simple Law can be so complex. Sawmill is right, you will be jumping thru hoops in one state and in another, it's brushed off. I've found that state land is good for grtting from point A to point B, just as long as it's not fenced off, or posted with state signs.

OL'29er

nvchris and OL'29er,

Thanks for the tips and encouragement. What book about the GMT did you read? The guys at the hunt just set it like the quick-start directions say. Did you find the Whites GMT DVD helpful? I'm going to steer clear of state land, as I don't want any problems. Thanks again to all for the help.

The DVD was very helpful. There is a book out on using the GMT. I forget who its by. Let mine go with the detector. Maybe NVChris knows.

Bob

Arch,

Congratulations on your wise choice of an entry level prospecting detector. The GMT is my favorite VLF detector and it has served me well. I purchased one of the first ones to hit the market and it is still running like a charm and I have not found anything that would or could replace it.

I am not aware of any books that have been published that relate to the GMT exclusively. There are several books written by Larry Sallee, ZIP ZIP....Mastering Your Nugget Detector (Revised Edition), 1996 and ZIP ZIP.... The Advanced Course, 1997. The Complete Unabridged Zip Zip came out later and is a combined and updated version of the first two books. All of these books relate to the Whites GM series of detectors, especially those that existed when the books were written. The information in these books is very good and can be applied to the GMT. I highly recommend the (Revised Edition) to anyone wanting to master the Whites GM detectors.

Check out the recent listing for one of the books here on Nuggetshooter classifieds......

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index...showtopic=15552

There is also some information on Testing the GMT by Larry Sallee at this link......

http://whiteselectronics.net/calif/Field_report_gmt.htm

As far as the GMT DVD, just go to this link and you can view all 6 instructional videos. Good information and if you view them several times, you will be up to speed in no time.

http://whiteselectronics.com/videos/gmt-instruction.html

Also more information on the GMT here, you can download a manual if needed........... http://whiteselectronics.com/gmt.html

Hope that this helps you out.......

Jim

Arch,

Congratulations on your wise choice of an entry level prospecting detector. The GMT is my favorite VLF detector and it has served me well. I purchased one of the first ones to hit the market and it is still running like a charm and I have not found anything that would or could replace it.

I am not aware of any books that have been published that relate to the GMT exclusively. There are several books written by Larry Sallee, ZIP ZIP....Mastering Your Nugget Detector (Revised Edition), 1996 and ZIP ZIP.... The Advanced Course, 1997. The Complete Unabridged Zip Zip came out later and is a combined and updated version of the first two books. All of these books relate to the Whites GM series of detectors, especially those that existed when the books were written. The information in these books is very good and can be applied to the GMT. I highly recommend the (Revised Edition) to anyone wanting to master the Whites GM detectors.

Check out the recent listing for one of the books here on Nuggetshooter classifieds......

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index...showtopic=15552

There is also some information on Testing the GMT by Larry Sallee at this link......

http://whiteselectronics.net/calif/Field_report_gmt.htm

As far as the GMT DVD, just go to this link and you can view all 6 instructional videos. Good information and if you view them several times, you will be up to speed in no time.

http://whiteselectronics.com/videos/gmt-instruction.html

Also more information on the GMT here, you can download a manual if needed........... http://whiteselectronics.com/gmt.html

Hope that this helps you out.......

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for book name and author. I could not think of it at all.

Arch,

The revised addition is the one I was refering to.

OL'29er

• 5 years later...

I agree with nvchris.

Ive always called it a prospecting permit (EXPLORATION PERMIT APPLICATION). but keep one thing in mind, its a NON-REFUNDABLE APPLICATION FEE if the land is already held by someone else that has been granted Mining permit/lease on the land. and the environmental disclosure questionnaire is long and detailed.your also going to need a POO (plan of operation)and a big bond. a lot of red tape. do your research first. Do ya get the feeling they dont want small miners on state land?

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 1

In the early eighties, the Roadrunners had a placer claim on Humbug Creek above Lake Pleasant, ON State Trust Land.

They had the claim for years, and only gave up the claim when the dam was made higher, with the resulting rising water,

eventually covering the claim. Back then, special arrangements and permits were made with the State. That means that

regardless of what is on paper, it's not chiseled in stone. Political climates come and go. Administrations come and go.

What has been allowed in the past, may not be okay currently, but may be allowed again in the future. Who knows.

Just Sayin'........

Ben

"

Sorry, the website www.land.state.az.us cannot be found"

nvchris

the last one I put together on Az. state land cost ten grand just for the bond.

I think It has a lot to do with what is on your POO,size of equipment and how much land you intend to disturb.

AzNuggetBob