Nugget Shooter Forums

A very rainy soaked day of hunting

Hello all

Last Saturday Bob and I decided to go out and hunt for the day despite the rainy forecast. When we arrived it was overcast and raining very lightly. As soon as we hiked out a ways it started pouring down. We did not let that stop us though as we continued our hunt. It was nice and cool but we were soon soaked. The rain would stop for a bit and then pour down again. The longest break we had without rain was about an hour or so. I must say my GMT did extremely well in the rain. The rain sure was a nice change from the heat despite the mud from head to toe!

Here are some pics from the rainy day of hunting. Bob chime in and tell about your finds and the trouble you had that day.

Some trees had this orange growth I have never seen before.

DSCF0068-1.jpg

A good day in the field

DSCF0080.jpg

The moss looks good

DSCF0072.jpg

DSCF0079.jpg

Good hunting!!

Dean

post-14020-1243742644_thumb.jpg

Sorry all,

the last photo is a pic of metorwrongs. It is shrapnel. Please disregard as I was messing with the attachments.

Dean

Hi Dean,

Nice finds for a rainy day! I'll bet your boots got kinda heavy, dragging the extra weight of the mud up hill and down hill. We have the same orange tree-stuff here in northern Arizona. It's a parasitic growth like mistletoe but, I've got no idea what the actual name is. By the way, outstanding photography in the pic with the moss - awesome! How many grams is that one?

Hey Bob,

What's your take on the hunt? Believe me, I know what it's like to go out and hunt in spite of bad weather. Sometimes you've just got to get out and get your fix. Besides, I always treasure the story of how the find was made, as much as the finds themselves.

Congrats, Ben

Aloha Dean,

Nice finds you have there showing a LOT of character. It looks like you are getting that GMT dialed in after all eh. I bet you had to dial it back a little with all the moisture in the ground . Keep it up and lets see more pics soon.

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

Wayne...the largest is 11.1 grams. The total weight is 23.9 grams. Not a whole lot of weight. Thank you for the congrats!

Hello Ben... Ha, the mud did get heavy especially by the time we were done. Thanks for the answer on the orange stuff. Thanks for the kudos, I try and take a few photos which are a little different. Now if I can just get away from the silver background! I found a 28.3 grammer yesterday with some decent thumb prints. I will post some pics later of some different shots.

Stan...Whats up buddy, thanks a lot! My GMT has been a great machine and I am getting way use to it. I did dial it back just a bit. I really do have to mention Ruben's name here. He gave me the advice of purchasing a GMT hands down for what I was going to use it for. With the vast array of choices, I was unsure with just what to purchase. I am glad he offered some great advice. Thanks! Funny thing is, I still have not found a single meteorite with my Minelab yet.

Erik...thanks my friend! As your dad would say: I have to get my meteorite fix! It sure beats sitting on your ass watching TV and wasting time! I forgot to mention it is close to home.

Bob...where are the pics?

Thanks fellas

Dean

Guest bedrock bob

A pocket full of Kryptonite

This one shows some olivine, but the neat thing is that it has a socket where a crystal popped out. isn't that what that angular pocket is?

Here are the photos of my finds. The full story..."How I found nine RARE Glorieta meteorites in one day with my silly ass metal detector" will be viewed on prime time in a few months. Until then here is the short story...

Met Dean at the "spot" and walked a while to the WEST. It was cloudy and drizzling rain. We turned on the detectors and dissappeared into the woods never to see each other again. I found my first one within about an hour. The detector had been giving me grief for the past week, but it seemed to be as smooth as it had been. I was working tthe ground really hard and thouroughly. I usually concentrate more under trees and in the tough spots because Glorieta is pretty hammered, but I was going across a big clearing and hit a good signal. Bang. Got a pallasite. My first one!

So it was pouring by now and things are getting crazy. My wooo was not in sync with my waaa and I was hearing a lot of brazilian salsa music on channel 2. I had not gone 12 feet until I got another nice deep signal. The detector was HOWLING now, and the lighting was everywhere. I was getting signals from hell. I got the meteorite by squeezing the mud and strining it through my fingers, the detector was not much help at this point.

Then things started going TWEEDLE DEEDLE DEEDLE really bad, but I got a big old WAAAAWEEEEE in a spot about 30 feet from my first hole. I couldnt find the thing. I tried HARD. By this time the detector said,"BLLLAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT" at which point I turned off the switch and stopped the madness. I slid through the pasty muck all the way back to the truck. I had five meteorites and a pig in the poke so to speak. My "Pocket Racket" power supply had got wet and fried. Who would think that they were not submersible?

I went hiking on Sunday. Had a ball.

Then I dreamed for four nights of the little WEEE WOOO up there in the mud.

I put the Sears Die Hard that came with the Minelab in the back of the truck and then used a backhoe to carry it back to the hole. The machine was humming like a swarm of bees. I was in control. I hit the big one in my spoil pile from the weekend before. It was about 5" deep and was right on the top of the pile under about 1/4 inch of dirt. I found three more within a 30 yard circle of my first find. I hunted for about 2 hours and definitely had that little patch cleaned out.

I figured I was lucky. I had been hunting Glorieta for two years and I never once hunted a spot that no one had run a coil over. Didnt think it existed. It must have been a freaking turkey shoot a few years ago. It aint now. The sun was out, the birds were chirping and I thought about trout. I stuffed the noise making minelab in the backpack and walked out. I was fishing on the Pecos river by 1:30. Caught one nice german Brown and a couple of lowly rainbows.

So there is the short version. Look for the paperback in bookstores near you.

Bedrock Bob

Bobby,

Outstanding stars from Glorieta!!! (Kryptonite) Fricking Minelab!! I love mine but I still ain't get used to the noises that thing makes. I guess I still need some more serious time with it. I think we can break her in on that fall we have been talking about and working on. Maybe we will break it in with a 20 plus pounder or more. Besides you never know what we will find. Maybe even some lost spanish treasures from long ago. What an adventure that would be, ehhh. Prime time....hummm we'll see.

Congrats my friend on some spectacular finds from our neck of the woods. Gotta love it! Oh and what a great way to pop your palasite cherry!!! Hey, the mud was good to us even though we were covered with it by the end of the day.

PS, let me borrow the backhoe just to take in the batteries, gear and the water you need for the day. it was sure hot on Sunday!!

Until the next hunt.

Dean

Dean and Bob, Man what a great story and Super finds!!! I'd been a bit (a lot) scared with the lightning going off and carrying a metal detector. I was on a dry lake yesterday it start raining, I kept going, but I kept the both metal detector and magnet stick lowwww. Any thunder and I would have gone and sat in the car. Makes me nervious when you know for sure your the tallest thing around for miles and miles carrying a 5 foot long metal pole. Anyway, Excellent Stupendous finds !! :whoopie: I'm in for buying the book when it comes out. See Ya Out There :icon_mrgreen: Clifton

Guest bedrock bob

Dean,

While you were burning up in the summer heat, I was freezing in a snowstorm about 10 miles away from you! What is it with this country anyway? The girlfriend and I hiked to Beaty's Cabin to see the irises blooming. It came a snow/ice/hail storm from hell on Sunday afternoon that left about a 2" blanket of white. It lasted about a half hour and in another hour it was all gone. We hunkered down under a big spruce tree and waited it out, then walked the five miles back through the misty woods herding elk along like goats in front of us.

This was the attraction...

The aspens on Round Mountain with Pecos Baldy in the background

Wild irises cover Hamilton Mesa each spring.

Julie's best photo of the day!

The Warrior Woman and the Devil Dog!

Dean, looks like you two hit it good! I need to get back up there and start hittin it again. Maybe in a couple of weekends. Bob tells me if he meets up with me with boots out in the field, the beer will flow. Lol....let's plan a trip...maybe we will run into some cops....

Bobby,

Outstanding stars from Glorieta!!! (Kryptonite) Fricking Minelab!! I love mine but I still ain't get used to the noises that thing makes. I guess I still need some more serious time with it. I think we can break her in on that fall we have been talking about and working on. Maybe we will break it in with a 20 plus pounder or more. Besides you never know what we will find. Maybe even some lost spanish treasures from long ago. What an adventure that would be, ehhh. Prime time....hummm we'll see.

Congrats my friend on some spectacular finds from our neck of the woods. Gotta love it! Oh and what a great way to pop your palasite cherry!!! Hey, the mud was good to us even though we were covered with it by the end of the day.

PS, let me borrow the backhoe just to take in the batteries, gear and the water you need for the day. it was sure hot on Sunday!!

Until the next hunt.

Dean

Guest bedrock bob
Dean, looks like you two hit it good! I need to get back up there and start hittin it again. Maybe in a couple of weekends. Bob tells me if he meets up with me with boots out in the field, the beer will flow. Lol....let's plan a trip...maybe we will run into some cops....

I have this strategy Robert... If I can take more cops with me than show up to arrest me then I get off scott free!

I hear that there is a magic spring up in those hills that flows Negra Modelo. Under the surface the olivine crystals sparkle. Find the magical spring and we will all drink together! Otherwise we can drink at Bennigans.

Hey, dont feel bad. Dean ditches me within a half mile every time and comes back from who-knows-where with a handfull of pallasites. I still dont know where in the hell he goes! I bet he bought those rocks from somebody and is just saying he found them up there.

Keep hammering at it. I hunted a year out there before I even knew I was in the strewn field. Now I realize I was in the strewn field the entire time. Still, it didnt make much difference in what I brought home. Glorieta is like a State job...You show up every day but you only get paid once a month. Keep punching that clock and sooner or later she will write you a check. After a couple of years you get a raise, and once each holiday season you might get a bonus. At first it is minimum wage and no vacation until you get your probationary period behind you! :laught16:

Bob

Clifton, Thanks for the kudos. Man that lightning does make one nervous now and then. When my son was little we were scouting for elk while a storm was brewing! I swear the hair on his head was sticking up like one of the science projects you see in school!! It was freaking scary. The thunder was shaking the ground and you could touch the clouds! It was awesome and I will never forget it! The only thing that would have been better was to have a rare meteorite land right in front of us!

Doug, don't be jealous my friend. keep in touch and I will also keep you posted. The fallen stars await! Hey by the way I just received the Gold Basin and the Franconia from Bob. I left him a message but can you relay my thanks to him for me. Thank you as well, even though I have not seen the meteorites you sent yet.

Bob, Wow wow and wow!!! I shoulda been doing that instead of roasting in the heat! What is with this country we live in is the joy and happiness it brings to ones being. I just wish everyone could enjoy it and appreciate it as much as you, I and others do. I have said it before, when we are on the hunt it is nice to appreciate what is around us and take it all in. It surely does make for a better life. I could not imagine those who are unable to experience areas such as in your photos. Elk you say...awesome!! What a great attraction!

Robert, cold beer after a day of hunting....yeah! The cops better watch out for the Molegar!

Dean

Guest bedrock bob

So here is a shot of 6 elk that we followed for about a mile. I took a hundred photos of them but this was the best one. As we approached one meadow there were fifty or so but Wally was with us and they spoked before I could get any good shots.

And since I am boring everyone with my photos here is one of more pretty flowers. I know rust and rocks are more beautiful, so just pretend they are meteorites.

And here is my ugly mug. That is Truchas peaks on either side of my head, and Chimayoso Baldy on the right side of the photo. The mountain they call "Trouble" is just visible to the left of Chimayoso. Next weekend my son and I climb Truchas (to the left) of my head.

Where will we go when we die Dean? We are already in heaven!

Bedrock Bob

Bob; How Far Is Heaven...7 or 8 hundred miles from San Diego...judging from those pictures...there are many ways to enjoy God's Creations while searching for his treasures...

thanks for the pic's...you look alot like one of my brothers...no offense intended

Fred

Guest bedrock bob
Bob; How Far Is Heaven...7 or 8 hundred miles from San Diego...judging from those pictures...there are many ways to enjoy God's Creations while searching for his treasures...

thanks for the pic's...you look alot like one of my brothers...no offense intended

Fred

I think that a fellow can find little patches of heaven almost anywhere. And some patches where heaven fell. And then some patches are just hell.

Bob

Even if we don't take eachother YET to our little spots (trust me, I'm going to work on it on my end), I say we hit the river with the rods soon or even just the monastary....Maybe we'll find that magic spring you talk about, if not I'm sure we'll find some frosty beverages at Adelo's or Griego's Gas station.

I have this strategy Robert... If I can take more cops with me than show up to arrest me then I get off scott free!

I hear that there is a magic spring up in those hills that flows Negra Modelo. Under the surface the olivine crystals sparkle. Find the magical spring and we will all drink together! Otherwise we can drink at Bennigans.

Hey, dont feel bad. Dean ditches me within a half mile every time and comes back from who-knows-where with a handfull of pallasites. I still dont know where in the hell he goes! I bet he bought those rocks from somebody and is just saying he found them up there.

Keep hammering at it. I hunted a year out there before I even knew I was in the strewn field. Now I realize I was in the strewn field the entire time. Still, it didnt make much difference in what I brought home. Glorieta is like a State job...You show up every day but you only get paid once a month. Keep punching that clock and sooner or later she will write you a check. After a couple of years you get a raise, and once each holiday season you might get a bonus. At first it is minimum wage and no vacation until you get your probationary period behind you! :laught16:

Bob