Nugget Shooter Forums

Holbrook.....Slaughtered

I don't tell stories real good, and don't like to brag. It was Friday about 4:00PM and Ruben called, where are you guys going to hunt this weekend? I

said me and Del are on the way to Gold Basin. Its going to be hot out there. Ruben looked at the weather and said Holbrook looks nice and cool.

At 1:30AM we meet him and Jr. at Winslow AZ.

Wouldn't you know it, it rained all night in Holbrook, mud puddles everywhere.

We didn't let that stop us, we hunted all day and we all found some nice Holbrooks.

I just got a little lucky and found the biggest of the day.

some pics

I had to fight these guys for this big one LOL 0.3g

SD530951.jpg

Here is a 4.2g one I was happy to find

SD530958.jpg

Mike I love that meteorite!! Funny thing is how you found it. I remember you telling me "Del look at that wrong... it's a very good one!". So I pulled it out of the ground, stuck it to my magnet and it didn't stick very well. At first I thought it was that red/black rock that you see a lot of out there that might have tumbled some. Ruben grabbed it out of my hands and said "uhhh guys... I see chondrules... this is definitaly a meteorite!" Mike and I both didn't think it was a meteorite at first because we weren't used to looking for something that big. Also it didn't stick well to the magnet because it didn't have any flat surfaces. Guess the moral of the story is to believe your eyes and not rely on the magnet so much... lesson learned!

Holbrook was fun, Ruben and Ruben Jr came out and everyone scored meteorites. The weather wasn't the best, but it was a nice break from the heat. I was fortunate enough to nail six really small ones. As we all know there's a learning curve to every new place you hunt and this was my first time out there, so the next trip will be even better. I just wish Holbrook wasn't a 7+ hour drive for us Californians! :grrr01:

After Mike and I hunted Holbrook, we took off to hunt Gold Basin and Franconia. The goal was three strewnfields in three days and we both did it. Here's my finds from the trip-

Holbrook-Weekend-Take.jpg

Here's my totals-

Holbrook- 6 stones (from 0.04 to 0.71 grams) with a total weight of 1.60 grams... not much BUT it's a start!

Gold Basin- 2 stones (5.7 and 16.3 grams) with a total weight of 22.0 grams

Franconia- 1 stone weighing 91.9 grams

Total weight from all three strewnfields- 115.50 grams

Ruben yet again my friend it was fun hunting with you and Jr again. Thanks for showing me the ropes out at Holbrook and a big thanks to Mike for putting up with me for three days!! :laught16:

Del

HEY!!!! where are the gps co'ods????

JUST TEASING, what a beauty, Mike...sharing your success is not bragging...Bragging would be; I GOT THE BIGGEST< HA< HA < HA!!!! or some such thing.

DEL, your are certainly doing well at the whole gold/meteorite/metal detector thing...Retirement is very nice, except all my playmates are busy with their aging and ill parents...so, I am reverting to my loner ways...

I had hoped for recent rains when I went but it was not to be...

How was the access down to the RR tracks...that road looked to be a quagmire in/after a rain?

Fred

Mike and Del, Very ambitious three day'er, and some really nice fines. The 42.5 grammer Holbrook is absolutely great :whoopie:. I was thinkin of getting out there before the monsoon, but seems like it's already to late. I guess you could move the magnet back-and- forth in the mud. Or maybe a magnet on a string with a cane pole and fish mud puddles for meteorites. Anyway, Great finds! See Ya Out There :icon_mrgreen: Clifton

gorgeous finds! thats a monster!

we hunted there for a day sunday then did a cold find search on monday.

I found 15 for 11.1g and my dad found 4 for 10.3g.

My dad had all individuals and i had about 50/50 individuals and fragments.

[Erik]

Guys:

Congrats on all you finds - you are all amazing hunters. Sounds like the rain may have helped you guys out.

It always amazes me how much is still out there to find. I think this is a good sign that really supports that many meteorites are either/or oncovered or just simply missed by many searching eyes.

Good luck and be safe out there.

- Greg

Hi mike,

Jeeze Louise! That's the largest chunk I've seen come out of Holbrook since Larry Atkins hit the lottery there with his big one a few years back. We just missed you guys and showed up Sunday morning. That's the find of a lifetime, just incredible. Congratulations. It's a beautiful stone too. Can you post a photo of it after cleaning?

Ben

Sorry we missed you guys out there Sunday, that would had been fun to hunt with you both.

You guys always kick butt out there, nice job.

Fish the mud puddles :laught16: i like it, going to have to try that.

here are some more pics

SD530966.jpg

SD530968.jpg

SD530971.jpg

Mike

Wow! You all kicked it hard. Very nice Holbrook's for sure! Who says Holbrook is hunted out!

Mike what a Beast!!! Good on ya.

Ben and Erik, Great finds! I am sure glad the Z-Man and I were able to learn how to hunt Holbrook from two of the best! Thanks again. Zaya has been itching to go out again. Good hunting and congrats all!

Dean

Wow Ruben what a collection of Holbrook!

You have alot of good sized ones!

I just got a camera for a graduation present

so maybe tomorrow ill weight and photograph my

holbrook collection.

They all seem to usually have good character.

Dean, anytime!

[Erik]

Sorry we missed you guys out there Sunday, that would had been fun to hunt with you both.

You guys always kick butt out there, nice job.

Fish the mud puddles :laught16: i like it, going to have to try that.

here are some more pics

SD530966.jpg

SD530968.jpg

SD530971.jpg

Mike

Hej everyone.

darn i´m stupid i found some thing that looked like that on pic 2. now it´s out with the fishes. It´s going to be imposible to find it... nooooo, crap. well crap happens. Now i will bang my head into the wall until tomorow ( good that there is only 2 hours left).

Good hunting

Mikael.

Here are most of my Holbrook finds to date, excluding the ones

Anne Black has on Imactica.

IMG_0203.jpg

Fragments 178.6 grams

IMG_0205.jpg

Individuals 68.4 grams

[Erik]

Geeez guys!!!! What awesome collections!!

Ben and Erik and all here are a few photos from our first hunt at Holbrook with two of THE best Holbrook Big Dogs!! Our finds are of course no where near Ruben's finds but we are happy with them no matter how small!!!

Ben and the Z-Man!!!

HOLBROOK7TH8TH2009014-1-1.jpg

Erik and Zaya

HOLBROOK7TH8TH2009029.jpg

Erik's awesome find!!

HOLBROOK7TH8TH2009027.jpg