Nugget Shooter Forums

Finding RARE CK4 Meteorites with Rob Matson and friends!

Special thanks to Rob Matson for being part of this meteorite hunt/video and also helping to confirm our finds.

Thanks also to Mike Morgan for discovering that "Ace Meteorite Hunter" Rob Matson had (unintentionally) left a few CK4 fragments us to find.

Click BELOW to watch the video (and see pictures) of us as we actually find RARE CK4 (carbonaceous) METEORITE fragments on camera.

http://www.mr-meteorite.net/findingraremeteorites.htm

Ruben Garcia

Phoenix, Arizona

Articles: http://www.meteorite.com/blog/

Videos: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user...rfright&p=v

Hi All,

Here's one of my CK4 finds! I had 3 all together... I'm sure that Del, Greg and Mike will post pictures of theirs too. If I'm not mistaken I think Paul Desilets has found a few also- maybe he'll post a few pics.

Of Course you can see more by clicking on the link to see the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcmyaHcotVY

Ruben, and the Crew,

Awesome finds and great video. Those CK-4's look like small bits of basalt. What made Mike suspect that they were in fact meteorites? It looks like a great time was had by all the hunters. Congrats to all of you.

Ben

Ruben, and the Crew,

Awesome finds and great video. Those CK-4's look like small bits of basalt. What made Mike suspect that they were in fact meteorites? It looks like a great time was had by all the hunters. Congrats to all of you.

Ben

Hey Ben,

Maybe Mike will chime and tell us.... He's very good and probably just felt like these were different.

Ruben that was fuuuuuun! Thanks for inviting me out. Finding rare meteorites like these makes braving the heat all worth it. Here's my finds from the hunt-

First find 0.212 grams-

Dels_first_find.jpg

Second find 0.152 grams-

Dels_2nd_find.jpg

Third find 0.670 grams-

Dels_3rd_find.jpg

What can I say about Mike! The man has the ability to find miscopic meteorites and this video is proof of it. :bowdown: I think we need to start calling him the "freight train"! Because once he gets going there's no stopping him. Mike as always buddy you did a very good job! Thanks for showing me how to hunt these.

I really wanted to thank Rob Matson, his discovery made this possible for all of us. Greg it was good seeing you again too.

I ended popping out another really small one that weighed in at a whopping 0.02 grams! These are small but given how rare they are every little bit counts.

My total take ended up being four CK4's totaling 1.054 grams-

Dels_finds_all.jpg

Del

All:

First, let me thank everyone that came: Rob for looking at our finds, Ruben for taking the pics and video, Mike for bringing his specimens and Del for bringing his finds too (what a beauty from West). I had a wonderful time and was happy with my total of 0.9 grams of the CK4.

This meteorite does look a lot like basalt but has a lot more magnetic pull then the basalt found there. It is a slightly lighter gray too and has honey brown areas within it. Believe me – I have been spending a few days looking through my old buckets of meteorites I have found during the past few years… none yet. :grrr01: :postdigger: :grrr01:

Below are some pics of my two largest finds - 0.2 and 0.6 grams. :whoopie:

- Greg

post-3520-1243004282_thumb.jpg post-3520-1243004780_thumb.jpg

post-3520-1243004313_thumb.jpg post-3520-1243004322_thumb.jpg post-3520-1243004334_thumb.jpg

Wow, Del...you're are really running with the BIG_DOG Pack...you will be the lead dog soon! way to go guys...amazingly good eyes!

Fred

Hey Fred,

These guys are so good at finding meteorites. It's hard to believe that they've only been at it for a few years!

Ruben Garcia

Phoenix, Arizona

My Website: http://www.Mr-Meteorite.Net

My Articles: http://www.meteorite.com/blog/

My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user...rfright&p=v

Greg and Del,

Thanks for posting the pics of your finds. It's really cool that you all could find fragments of the same meteorite that Rob had found in the past. Nice work, guys.

Ben

Unfortunately I had to work while theese guys had all the fun. Just remember had I been there some of yours may have been mine lololol :laught16: Congrats to all of you on your finds. Its really cool to be able to find something that rare.

I wish I could have been there to meet Greg and Rob, but there will be time for that in the future. I will post some of my finds when I get home from work.

Paul

Great to get out there and hunt with you guys, and nice to have meet Rob Matson.

Ben, I knew that some have been found out there and new pretty much what they looked like. I set out to find some.

When I found my first one I just knew that I had found one, it look right (not like a OC) had nice pull and looked like the ones Ive seen in pics. I called Paul and said

I just found a CK4, Paul said are you sure. Ya I think so, cool he said. It was funny because I found another one and called him

back,"I found another one." He said, well there not then, to rare LOL.

It felt real good when Rob Id them for me, in the back of my mind I had a little doubt not much, but a little :confused0013:

I have some at UCLA getting classified right now.

Paul missed the hunt, but dont feel sorry for him LOL, he has found some nice ones.

here are some pics

146.jpg

163.jpg

178.jpg

307.jpg

Paul, Mike, and Del already feel like brothers to me..... Plus they are very good meteorite hunters and very loyal friends too. I missed Paul the last two weeks but I know he'll be joining us very soon. Mike maybe you should brag a little about the huge holbrook you stole from me, ruben jr and Del this last weekend. We killed at holbrook but Mike slaughtered!!!!

Wow, Del...you're are really running with the BIG_DOG Pack...you will be the lead dog soon! way to go guys...amazingly good eyes!

Fred

Hey Fred, I'm a puppy when compared to these guys. It's an honor and a priviledge to hunt with these guys. I'm learning so much and having a lot of fun doing it too.

Paul, Mike, and Del already feel like brothers to me..... Plus they are very good meteorite hunters and very loyal friends too. I missed Paul the last two weeks but I know he'll be joining us very soon. Mike maybe you should brag a little about the huge holbrook you stole from me, ruben jr and Del this last weekend. We killed at holbrook but Mike slaughtered!!!!

Yeah Ruben Mike slaughtered Holbrook for sure this weekend! Thanks for the invite because (as always) it was fun. Gotta say Ruben Jr is one heck of a hunter too and I learned a few things that will help my hunting in the future.

It will be nice once Paul can get out and play in the dirt because he's certainly missed out on some good hunts. Looking forward to him being able to hunt again.

Del

Guys,

Congrats on the nice rare meteorite finds! The adventures are always good when quality time is spent in the field with good loyal friends. Nice pictures guys.

I sure wish I had good eyes like you all have! Congrats!

Dean