Nugget Shooter Forums

New to the forum

Hello to all,

I am new to the post, but have been reading for a couple months and finially decided to join. I appreciate all the knowledge that you all have been putting into the forum and hopefully it will help me find that FIRST GOLD. I bought a garett scorpion about 2 months ago and haven't found anything except for brass casings, bullets, pop tops............ I have heard alot of negative reviews about the garett detectors, are they not good for finding gold or does anyone who owns one, or previously owned one have any words of wisdom? Also, can anyone tell me where would be the best place to find out if there are open claims out there or if there is a map of where I can go and start prospecting without being on someone elses claim. I live down in Green Valley, AZ and also spend aloyourt of time around Bumble Bee, and Cleator,AZ. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions

Boondockstwo

Hi Boondockstwo, I made the mistake and purchased a Garrett metal detector when I was first starting out. The best advice I can give you on it... get rid of it and get a better detector because they have a lot of trouble handling mineralized ground.

Technology is constantly changing, all the other metal detector companies realise this and tend to keep up with it. For some reason Garrett doesn't because their gold VLF metal detectors fell behind the game many years ago. It seems to me they try to focus on the relic/coin metal detectors and not the gold prospecting detectors.

Del

Boondockstwo,

Allow me to answer your questions in reverse order. The very best thing you can do as a new person to the hobby is join a prospecting club in your area. That way you get first hand help from members and a valid place to hunt.

As for the Garret, many people have had bad luck with them. I was not one of them. The problem with the garret is the fact thats old tecknoldge(sp). It is very hard to keep it ground balanced. The fact that you are finding things is good, get it over some gold and you will find it. Do not expect much depth from it 2-4 inches is about the best I ever got under some what ideal conditions. If you can learn how to use it and find gold, then a Gold Bug 2 or GMT will seem like a easy street. Once you find that you enjoy this hobby, save up you money to move up to a minelab PI detector.

OL'29er :coffeetime:

Hello to all,

I am new to the post, but have been reading for a couple months and finially decided to join. I appreciate all the knowledge that you all have been putting into the forum and hopefully it will help me find that FIRST GOLD. I bought a garett scorpion about 2 months ago and haven't found anything except for brass casings, bullets, pop tops............ I have heard alot of negative reviews about the garett detectors, are they not good for finding gold or does anyone who owns one, or previously owned one have any words of wisdom? Also, can anyone tell me where would be the best place to find out if there are open claims out there or if there is a map of where I can go and start prospecting without being on someone elses claim. I live down in Green Valley, AZ and also spend aloyourt of time around Bumble Bee, and Cleator,AZ. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions

Boondockstwo

Boondockstwo-

Welcome to the forum. I've been a member for a couple of years, but haven't had the time to be a very active participant...so, like you, I'm still considered a New Guy.

Wow! I've never used a Garrett and didn't realize the Scorpion had such problems. After reading what 29 Prospector and Paseclipse had to say about them, I would be hesitant to rely on one, especially as my primary unit. But I guess as 29 Prospector said, "If you can learn how to use it and find gold, then a Gold Bug 2 or GMT will seem like a easy street."

I own Minelab's Eureka Gold VLF machine and the GPX-4000 PI model. I also have a GMT and have owned a Gold Bug. I've dug gold with all of them and have no problem recommending any of the models I've mentioned, but don’t just take my word for it...you can find proponents and detractors to praise and cuss each.

Nowadays, I use my Gpx-4000 almost exclusively. For a guy like you, just starting out though, it might be best to 'cut your teeth', as you're doing, on one of the VLFs before leaping (if that's your desire) to what I consider the ultimate…a P.I. model.

As for how to find 'open ground'...aside from looking for claim markers in the field and word of mouth, I rely on the BLM's LR2000 records search program at their website. In conjunction with my GPS unit and a Topo map, the info from BLM helps me to be reasonably certain of being on open ground; I said 'reasonably' certain...nothing's perfect. There's a learning curve, both for the LR2000 record search and the GPS unit, but for the benefits, I believe it's labor well invested!

There is an online tutor for the record search program at BLM’s website >>> HERE.

You can find free map reading, GPS, and prospecting tutor links at my blog>>> HERE

Good Luck!

Jason AKA Pocketman

GorpStew

Thanks for the the honesty on my Scorpion detector and the tips Paseclipse, 29 Prospector and Pocketman. I have been told that if you can find lead bullets then you should be able to find gold???????? I am going to go up towards Bumble Bee and Cleator this weekend and try alittle beepin'.

Thanks again, and to anyone else who has some "words of wisdom for a beginner" thanks in advance.

boondockstwo

Guest bedrock bob

My first detector was a Garrett Scorpion. It was terrible in hot ground and I did not find gold with it. That being said it had one of the best discrimination features I have ever used. I could dump a 50 lb. box of nails on the ground, put a nickel under them, and only hear the nickel. It had great depth and sensitivity as long as the mineralization was not an issue. I found lots of goodies with it. No gold though.

There may be a lot better discriminating machines out there today, I wouldn't really know about that, but that Scorpion amazed me. I didnt start finding gold until I got the old GB1 though. It has been all downhill from there.

If you can find a bullet you can definitely find gold...of the same size. Most gold is freckle size. If you can find a #12 skeet shot at a couple of inches in hot ground you will have a lot better luck.