Nugget Shooter Forums

Newbie Question

bado1

Hi all!

This is a great site! Alot of experience and knowledge here. I've been doing some research and lurking around on various sites for a while now trying to figure out which machine to buy as my first machine. First of all I live in Phoenix and would do most of my hunting here in AZ. I'm not new to prospecting just to detecting. I figured that since I'm new to all of this that it would'nt matter which type of unit I started with as I have no preconceived notions as to how a unit should act or sound. I want to buy used just in case this aint for me. I understand that a guy should own both types of to cover all situations and maybe someday that will be the case with me but, for now, which unit would be best to begin with? I was thinking a Whites GMT for the VLF or a SD2100v2 for the PI unit. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Dean

Dean – I own a GMT and highly suggest it if you don’t want to spend the extra money. If you stick with medal detecting you can always keep the GMT as a backup detector. However if you have the extra money then the PI is going to go deeper and hopefully get you more gold.

Hi Dean

I to have a GMT and it is a great detector for the money, It can sniff out the small stuff like a champ. Not a very big learning curve.

I also recommend it.

Regards

Herb

Haderly and Herb,

Thank you for the input. Getting the GMT first then using it as a back up later is a great idea. I've read nothing but good about the GMT.

Thanks!

Are there any reputable local dealers that sell used or refurbished machines?

Silver Dog Doug just bought a refurbished GMT from some dealer. You might want to send him a PM if he doesn't see this thread.

I found my GMT on this forum and occasionally see them on other forums. If you can wait a bit you may find a good deal. I bought mine for $500 and it came with 3 coils and shafts.

The GMT is a great machine, but the learning curve on it is a little tough in Arizona...I have one that I rarely use except for coin hunting, though I have found lots of gold with it, mostly small....You can pick up a used sd2100 for about the same price....When I switched from the GMT to the 2100 I switched from dinks to nuggets...You get much better depth...I was a hardcore supporter of the GMT, in fact I was a dealer with a prospector shop in Wickenburg, until Bill proved to me irrifutably that the GMT could not hear a 3 gram nugget that screamed on the 2100...I still own a GB2 and the GMT, but 99% of my hunting and 99.5% of my gold comes from my ol' Baboo SD2100...Good luck...Cheers, Unc

Thanks again Haderly! I searched back in the archives and found his post stating where he got that machine and I wrote the info down. I'll give it a shot.

Uncle Ron,

Many thanks for the input. I've read many of your excellent posts and see where you mention your successes with the PI machines over the VLF many times here in AZ.

Decisions, decisions!

Thanks,

Dean

Dean,

I would go with the GMT as your first detector. As far as the learning curve, the GMT is almost a turn on and go detector in most area's. Read the instruction manual, set it on the RIS settings and you are up and running. Here is a quote from Larry Sallee, the author of Zip Zip 1 and 2.

"Quote" In my opinion, one of the strongest features of this machine is its versatility. This is truly a machine for virtually every skill level. An absolute beginner can turn this machine on, put a couple of knobs and switches on their RIS marks, adjust the threshold to his liking, and begin hunting very effectively. An advanced hunter has full control over the Gain and SAT, access to the ultra-high-resolution manual ground balance, a grab button that delivers instant ground balance in auto or manual mode, and a full readout of mineral type and amount. "Unquote"

If you decide that detecting is not your game, your not out a bunch of bucks and you can always sell a used GMT. If you learn and like the detecting part of prospecting, you can always pick up a used SD2100 to compliment your VLF. A serious prospector that is into detecting usually owns both a good VLF and a PI unit. I have 2 GMT's, a hip mount and a stick mount, both for small shallow gold and medium depth nuggets. The GMT is a meteorite go getter. I have a Minelab GP3000 for the deep stuff, and love my Minelab X-Terra 70 for coin/relic/and beach hunting.

What ever you decide to do, here is wishing you the best of luck....... :twocents:

Jim

Thank you, Jim!

Yes, It seems the initial investment for the GMT is less and , therefore, if I find MDing is'nt for me I could probably sell it all and not be out too much $ in the end. I really like drywashing as well and it seems this machine would compliment that from everything I have read.

Thanks again for your experienced input.

Dean