Nugget Shooter Forums

Cholla Hell

Oh My, I feel for that guy! But I am glad I am not feeling what that guy is! :opps:

Oh My, I feel for that guy! But I am glad I am not feeling what that guy is! :opps:

I did that ten years ago north of Cleator on a deer hunt. I was lucky and had bibs, boots and a heavy coat on. Slipped on a hill and rather than drop my rifle I fell backwards and landed in a cholla. Stripped down and started picking the needles out with my knife. Came out pretty good but kind of hurt and ruined my coat since it was full of broke off needles. Brings back bad memories.

Here's a second photo...I do think the victim is a girl..flipped an ATV right into a cholla thicket....Cheers, Unc

post-9-1242176169_thumb.jpg

Hi Ron,

Nasty lesson for some poor soul. A lot of us carry tweezers in our packs but, I want to encourage people to also carry a cheap plastic comb. When you get a "clump" on your leg or whatever, just slip the comb between yourself and the clump, and pull away. Removes all or most of the spines RIGHT AWAY. Anything left is tweezer material. Works like a charm.

Ben

Hi Ron,

Nasty lesson for some poor soul. A lot of us carry tweezers in our packs but, I want to encourage people to also carry a cheap plastic comb. When you get a "clump" on your leg or whatever, just slip the comb between yourself and the clump, and pull away. Removes all or most of the spines RIGHT AWAY. Anything left is tweezer material. Works like a charm.

Ben

Yep the Comb is your Friend!!!

I spent 13 years in the Tucson area as a kid.

One time while out in the boonies, I got the Urge! Went out behind the hill and did my thing.

Didn't take long to figure out I had a problem! :laught16:

I had a peace of Cholla stuck between my ankle and my hiney!

Not Good!

I had a freind driving a dirt bike that came out looking like that kid one time. It took us a hour getting out the most of it!.

God was upset when he came up with that stuff.

OMG ....I feel so bad for that chick ...Dayum That sucks! I couldnt imagine :Huh_anim]:

Kinda like Porky Pine! They Go In A Whole Lot Easier then they come out!

Hi Guys-

I had a bad encounter with cholla too on my first visit to Dome Rock. I backed up into a bunch of cholla while detecting and still have scars on my posterior from that. :laught16::laught16::laught16: Needless to say- it's never happened again. Can't imagine what the people in the photos had to go through as those are pretty extreme cases.

Steve

I to feel her pain. I fell into a patch and had to have my arm frozen to get out the quils. It took a good 2 years for some of them to come to the surface. Bad stuff. I wish her my best.

OWOOOCH! The memory of that will last a lifetime for sure!

that looks very, very bad.how do they get each piece off of her? after that, then have to deal with the pokies, wow the pain she must be in. ron

A swimming buddy of mine once got a belly full of sea urchin spines and I thought that was the worst thing that could happen to a human being. NOT!

sea urchins are really bad but it sure looks like those things are alot worse. when i used to dive i would sometime get stuck with a urchin and they are no fun. question, how do they remove the big round pieces that give off the needles? that is got to be painfull and something that will be remembered for the rest of someones life, wow. thanks for e-mailing me. :cool04: ron