Nugget Shooter Forums

Help with tuning sd 2100

hay guy some of you know i got a new sd 2100 , since then i got me a single enhancer , any one know of a vedo on tuning you 2100 or can soem one give me stip by step how 2 ?

hay guy some of you know i got a new sd 2100 , since then i got me a single enhancer , any one know of a vedo on tuning you 2100 or can soem one give me stip by step how 2 ?

Nate are you having problems here? The SD2100 is relatively easy to tune. Perhaps you need to get used to it? You read the manual... right?

Del

Nate like Del said you have to read the manual. I have never used one or I would offer you some help. If you bought this from a dealer they should

help you if not you could try and PM Uncle Ron he is a master with the 2100. Good Luck

Rich

Guest bedrock bob

I too have a few basic questions on tuning and operation of the PI machines. I have an SD2100v2, with a Coiltek Li-Ion battery system, a Doc’s Gold Screamer amp, and a chest mounted harness that employs a 30” coil lead extension. The manual is crap. Just very basic and general knowledge. Maybe by mulliing over these questions on the forum several of us can benefit.

I have been using this machine for several months after 30 years of using various VLF machines. I am having great success with this machine and I realize that with time most of these questions will become evident. Still, I believe that my questions represent the basic learning curve that anyone switching from VLF to PI equipment would ask. These details will shorten that learning curve considerably for me and hopefully this thread can be of use to others. Some fellows find it difficult to ask questions and I hope that this will be of use to them as well. I know that the post is rather long, but I have tried to be as detailed as possible in hopes that the answers can be short and specific.

So here it goes. Topic by topic, here are my specific questions.

1) Amp/Headphones. That darn amp will blow your ears out if you aren’t careful. I have been turning the thing up about a half turn. Just as you hear it letting the sound through it gets LOUD fast. I figure the amplifier needs to be amplifying to enhance small signals, but the headphones also need to be letting a full signal through…at least not squelching it. As much amplification as I can get, and not have the headphones turned nearly all the way down. That has been my basis for making adjustments. Will I benefit from adjusting the amp to a higher/lower setting and why? It seems that the amp affects the “steadiness” of the threshold in a negative way. At least the crispness of the adjustment. What is the deal with that?

2) Threshold/Tone. I hear a tone when it is all the way down. No threshold. I am calling it background noise or machine noise. The amp makes it worse, and adds an electronic “echo”. The “tone” knob affects this noise as well as the threshold tone. As I turn the threshold up I begin to hear a stutter of a tone. Then there is a rather wide area (as compared to the VLF) that the threshold is unstable. At some point it flattens out fairly well. From that setting on up there seems to be no real audible difference in threshold. It is never rock steady. The threshold is always “busy” with something... at least a little bit. I have been running it just past the steady setting, like the VLF would be tuned. In that wide area above where the threshold gets steady, where would the machine perform best? This seems to be where tuning a PI and tuning a VLF are very different. You can hear when the VLF is perfect.

3) I have been told that the secret to the PI is to get the balance between the amp and the threshold right. I have also been told that the ONLY way to find this out is a “test bed” of various targets to find out how the machine reacts. Some fellows tell me that this is a “secret” and I must figure it out myself. There must be some basis for these settings, and some general starting point that can save a lot of time testing. Maybe I am already there, but I would love to hear a response to this one. If anyone has an explanation of how the amp and the threshold work together to produce better performance I would love to hear it. I am not asking anyone to reveal any “secrets” here, just a basis for making these adjustments.

4) Ground Balance. There is a hell of a lot of room between “hot” and “cold” ground balance, on both channels (as compared to the VLF). I have been just concentrating on getting it quiet and using it. I know on the VLF that ground balancing is EVERYTHING for small targets as well as depth. I always ran the machine as “hot” as possible. Is that true with the PI too? Where in that relatively wide range of acceptable balance does the PI perform best? Again, with a VLF you are looking for that certain point where you know it is best…you can hear it. How do you know you are there with the P.I.?

5) Tuning. I have recognized a lot of different sounds. Sometimes a “warbling” in the threshold and sometimes “morse code” streams of beeps in the background. My cell phone “hisses” five times in a row and then is quiet for three minutes. Then it hisses five times again. I realize the sources of interference and the various sounds that it makes. My question is only on the method for eliminating it using the “tuning” knob. not on what causes the interference...

When I notice the warbling or the beeps I pull the coil waist high and slowly turn around. I never have noticed any real directional difference, even when I know it is those power lines over there. So I lay the coil down on the ground in the direction I think is best and turn the knob from one stop to the other. I can’t really tell that it is doing a darn thing... ever. It doesn’t seem to affect the warbling or the beeping at all. The interference never has gotten really bad, but I am always wondering if the thing is working right. What do you suggest?

6) Coil connectors. I have a chest mounted box, and I have installed a 30” coil extension cable between the box and the pole. The connectors act like a small coil. The machine responds when metal gets near them. The coil lead wraps to the end of the pole, and the extension lead connects with it under the metal arm cuff. It causes no false signals, as it doesn’t move very much, but will this affect performance of the machine? I have heard that taping a coin to the coil will help in bad ground. I rationalize this as being much the same, only at the coil connector rather than at the coil. I am not noticing a drop in performance, but I figure the question is worth asking. If I let the connector “dangle” away from the cuff so no metal is near it, it does signal a little when bumped or jiggled. The threads are tight, and I don’t feel that there is anything ”wrong” with the extension or the connection. No problems here at all, I am just wondering if metal near the coil connector will affect performance.

Hopefully some kind soul out there will shed some light on some of these questions for me, and add to our collective knowledge. I do appreciate any help and answers that I may get.

Thanks a bunch!

Bedrock bob

Nate are you having problems here? The SD2100 is relatively easy to tune. Perhaps you need to get used to it? You read the manual... right?

Del

yea wasent much to it goda finde that 3 page thing agen

I don't know that this will work well on the 2100 but it did fine on my 2000.....turn both gb knobs all the way to counter clock-wise...now turn the top one 5 and 1/2 turns to the right...now turn the bottom one 6 and 1/2 turns to the right...this should work most anywhere in the West...according to the guys that gave it to me...

Some amps will increase the electronic background noise...I could not use my depthmaster headphone amp with my minelabs...using the amp and external speakers will rid you of that problem...

the freguency adjust never seemed to do much for me either....

I still struggle with the differences between vlf,s and PI's...although, each step up I made the machine has been more VLF-like to use...I expect the 4500 and the upcoming "5000" are worlds ahead of what I have used....

just listen for distinct, repeatable signals no matter how faint...

Bob, if you are having success with small bits of 3-5 grains you are doing things right...using a 11 inch coil

Hope this babbling helps you

Fred

Guest bedrock bob
I don't know that this will work well on the 2100 but it did fine on my 2000.....turn both gb knobs all the way to counter clock-wise...now turn the top one 5 and 1/2 turns to the right...now turn the bottom one 6 and 1/2 turns to the right...this should work most anywhere in the West...according to the guys that gave it to me...

Some amps will increase the electronic background noise...I could not use my depthmaster headphone amp with my minelabs...using the amp and external speakers will rid you of that problem...

the freguency adjust never seemed to do much for me either....

I still struggle with the differences between vlf,s and PI's...although, each step up I made the machine has been more VLF-like to use...I expect the 4500 and the upcoming "5000" are worlds ahead of what I have used....

just listen for distinct, repeatable signals no matter how faint...

Bob, if you are having success with small bits of 3-5 grains you are doing things right...using a 11 inch coil

Hope this babbling helps you

Fred

Fred,

Thanks a bunch! I am knocking the nuggets dead with the 2100! 2.5 grs. is the smallest with the 14" elliptical nugget finder coil, not very deep...Maybe 1". A 6+ dwt. slug was the largest so far this spring at about a foot. I have an 11 DD that I have never used, and a Joey coil that I thought would be my fave but just hasnt seen much ground either. I am having no problems at all with it, but I am always looking for more knowledge.

I have a layer of gold bearing cemented caliche that is as quiet as silk with the GBII (with the exception of the random hot rock). As long as the 2100's coil is horizontal things are groovy, but when I turn it vertical against that rock it warbles like crazy. No amount of adjustment makes a difference. The voodoo technology that they use in the Minelab is tough to figure out. A lot of wierd variables. Still, a repeatable signal is a target...period. I have not dug a false target yet, and the depth is just amazing. Still I want to give it as much "edge" as I can. As easy as it is to adjust I wonder what I could be doing better. Maybe it is just being used to the GBII and constantly bringing it back inline with the cosmos.

Bedrock Bob

I don't think there is much to be done about the coil interference when at right angles to the horizontal...all my mlabs have done that including my 3500...you might try tuning it with the coil turned to and close to the bank...nothing I have tried seems to change it a lot...it appears to me you are running that 2100 right...but, there is always more to learn and hopefully improve...

the GS5/TDI are probably the most vlf-ish PI's out right now...this is not an endorsement or criticism just an observation...

best wishes

Fred

Hay guys i was out in the field to day trying to figure out if the stock dd coil could pick up rocks, Here what i figured out with the stock coil and a single booster it cannot pick up franconas i tryed ever which way on it.

So my next step will be getting A MONO coil then the batters set ,,,

Hey, Nate...if you are near town or power lines that 2100 will seem less sensitive...BUT>>>a mono coil will certainly improve the sensitivity, perhaps you could borrow an 8, 11, and 14 inch mono....the 14 inch coiltec mono was an excellent choice for all the early minelabs...likely it is still a great all-round coil...

Did you try my tuning method?

good luck

Fred

Hey, Nate...if you are near town or power lines that 2100 will seem less sensitive...BUT>>>a mono coil will certainly improve the sensitivity, perhaps you could borrow an 8, 11, and 14 inch mono....the 14 inch coiltec mono was an excellent choice for all the early minelabs...likely it is still a great all-round coil...

Did you try my tuning method?

good luck

Fred

yea i was out at grattervill so no real house out there tryed tunning it but it just dent pick up the 20 gram condrite so yea

Nate, I need to learn how to use the 2100 V2. I think my dad and I are going out sunday. Maybe we can meet up and do a hunt or something.

[Erik]

Nate, I need to learn how to use the 2100 V2. I think my dad and I are going out sunday. Maybe we can meet up and do a hunt or something.

[Erik]

Let me look at what i got going on this wekk end