Nugget Shooter Forums

Found today at Gold Basin with GMT

I sold my white's MXT, and bought a new GMT. It works pretty good but I noticed when passing over vegetation it sounds off on anything green. Does anyone else have that problem also with their GMT ? I tried different setting but still sounds off on the vegetation. I am thinking there must be metals in the plants to make it sound off on the higher frequency with the GMT. My MXT did not do that next to or on the vegetation. It is not the coil hitting the plants, because I can wave the coil in front of, or under the vegetation and it sounds off the detector. Thanks for any help. Dave. P.S. If your headed out this weekend, the bugs are crazy, bring the bug spray....

Hi Dave,

Pulleeze tell me that you're not running that sucker in auto ground balance....................................................................Also, Whatever it's set at, you don't need to run the gain that high. The GMT will still hear them. They're meteorites, not gold nuggets.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply, I have tried both auto and manual, and it still sounds off on almost anything green. In manual around ground balance of 75-77, it seems to eliminate a lot of the interference from the brush, but it is still there. I found the gain at around 7 to be the best setting, of coarse that was my first time out with it yesterday, I still need more time in the field with it. The MXT was silent over/ under any brush, but it runs at a much lower frequency. Do you or anyone else with a GMT find their machines doing the same??? Thanks Dave...

Dave, I have 2 GMT's and they are very sensitive. Try turning the gain back a little the Threshold to a point where you can't hear it , and I always have my Sat turned all the way up. Use a test meteorite from time to time . Hope that I have helped. Doug

Hello Dave, Once you learn your GMT you will love it. It will take you a few outings to really get use to it though. When I first used my GMT I used the auto ground balance and I was still able to find meteorites. It was a pain in the arse using the auto and I believe I was missing targets since I was hunting irons. I would get a signal and then after several passes over the target the signal would disappear. Once I REALLY learned the detector using manual, the finds were amazing. By the way the vegetation does not bother my GMT. Good luck Dave.

Dean

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply, I have tried both auto and manual, and it still sounds off on almost anything green. In manual around ground balance of 75-77, it seems to eliminate a lot of the interference from the brush, but it is still there. I found the gain at around 7 to be the best setting, of coarse that was my first time out with it yesterday, I still need more time in the field with it. The MXT was silent over/ under any brush, but it runs at a much lower frequency. Do you or anyone else with a GMT find their machines doing the same??? Thanks Dave...

Dave,

I have worn out several coil covers at Gold Basin and Franconia on my GMT's and I have used a

10/10 setting most of the time when hunting meteorites. The only time that I have had to turn the gain down is if the ground gets a little to hot. :hmmmmmm: There is a patch of ground on the north side at Franconia that demands that you turn the gain way down.... :zapped: I set the threshold to just below audible, Manuel ground balance only and hit the grab button and pump a few times quite often. I lock the signal enhance on at all times. You will hear some vegetation falseing, hot rocks and a few other unexplained things, but if you use a throw down often and get your mind ingrained to what it sounds like, you will not miss any meteorites. I hunt with the detector in my right hand and with a light weight meteorite cane in my left hand, I use it to retrieve my thrown down, saves bending over so often.

Hi Dean, Silver Dog, Paleface, thanks for the advice, I have tried all the setting you all mention. The weird thing is I can wave my hand with no jewelry over the top of the coil even when it is on auto GB, and it still sounds off like my hand is gold, I believe I might have a bad coil, I have been detecting with a whites brand metal detector since 1985 and never had that problem, I cannot get near a bush as the detector sounds off, I am going to call whites and describe to them what is happening, since it is still under warranty. Thanks for all your help and the settings in the field. Dave

Dave, is the switch on the lower right side of the box in the down Magnifying position, If so it will make all kinds of noise. In the up position is for the battery check. It should be in the center position for most of the time. Doug

Dave

Try another coil from some one in the area. I had 2 bad coils and the factory replaced both. It would not be the first time this has happened. Whites will work with you. Dale in Dolan helped me figure out the bad coil problem and he was right on. dale lamm

E-mail Address(es):

daleyboy13@yahoo.com

Try this.

Wayne