Nugget Shooter Forums

Cobbler's Gold

Detecting this morning I run across a section about 8 x 8 that was full of boot tacks! It was almost like the Cobbler had his tent set up on this very spot. Well them boot tacks are good targets, so I started dig'n and scooping them out using my magnet for the shallow ones in my pile of dirt. Kicking the dirt around to use the magnet somemore, I see a glint of gold. It was the flat looking nugget mixed in with all them boot tacks. A few minutes later a few feet away, I had another hole going. I got all the boot tacks out of the pile of dirt and check my hole again with my coil. More tagets, I dug a few more scapes out and repeated the process of using my magnet in the pile. I checked the pile one more time and I heard a sound that just said, that's not a boot tack...out pops the last nugget. I checked the hole and filled her back in and headed home. I'll dig more Cobbler Gold on the next trip! The picture below is only about 1/4 of the tacks I dug today...I wonder if he dropped his poke and his nail box? Or, he didn't know his tent was on top of some color! Anyways, thanks you old Cobbler!!!

LuckyLundy

8May09vetDig14dwt004.jpg

8May09vetDig14dwt002.jpg

LL, nice finds. Those tacks are probably from the Dry Washers bellows, and other parts of DW, not boots as everyone thinks. Paleface had or still has a small antique sampler DW that actually had them in it. Still a good find, and shows persistence pays off. Jason :;):

Good Goin LL, you and Jeff are kickin butt up there in the mother lode area.

WTG Lucky......... one of these days I will actually be finished moving and be able to get back to hunting with you and the gang. I really miss it!

Great comment on the boot tacks being DW nails! I always wondered how so many boots lost their nails...........

Nice nuggets, Lucky....I've gotten into a number of those hobnail pockets over the years, including one I found last week that I may go back and clean up after seeing your results. On a couple of occassions even found part of the boot...There's a classic photo that I can't find online of a gold panner from the 1800's with a pan in his lap and the soles of his boots pointed at the camera...But I did find these two photos that show why we are plagued with hobnails in the goldfields...Cheers, Unc

post-9-1241892984_thumb.jpg

post-9-1241893000_thumb.jpg

post-3800-1241975522_thumb.jpgNice gold Lucky, I found a nugget, oh I mean picker at Greaterville on Thursday . It was 100 degrees in Tucson , so I got up at 2:30 am , and was waiting for the sun to come up when I got to Greaterville. By 6:45 I found my first and last picker. You just keep finding those big nuggets and I will keep finding the pickers. Doug

post-3800-1241975522_thumb.jpgNice gold Lucky, I found a nugget, oh I mean picker at Greaterville on Thursday . It was 100 degrees in Tucson , so I got up at 2:30 am , and was waiting for the sun to come up when I got to Greaterville. By 6:45 I found my first and last picker. You just keep finding those big nuggets and I will keep finding the pickers. Doug

Doug, a picker is better than the skunk, I was out yesterday for a while and dug over 20 bullets and other junk. I would have been happy with a picker. John

Doug, a picker is better than the skunk, I was out yesterday for a while and dug over 20 bullets and other junk. I would have been happy with a picker. John
John, Mabe it's our age . when you reach 70 even the picker look good. I find if you blow the picture up so that the picker is about 1 and a half by 3 , It really looks good. Doug

Doug,

NuggetSlayer and I headed to the big hills Saturday! I have a ton of places to detect there and we only checked out 3 of them. The picture below is a High Bar, we detected maybe 1/3 of it and guess what I found...more boot tacks! I would have loved to have found a picker like yours, but we headed home with the skunk. Next time we will get some color but had to checkout possible other spots on the list, we were just prospecting for prospects.

LuckyLundy

HighBar.jpg