Nugget Shooter Forums

SD2000 COILS...

I don't remember who it was that was asking a question about coils being inter-changeable..

this was two or three weeks ago and someone said that all SD coils could be used on all of

the GP machines except for the early SD2000 coils.....I was lucky to have the first SD2000 in the

USA and it was also the first in Brazil.....about four years ago I sold the SD2000 but kept the old

"garbage can lid" coil and sold a Coiltek 18" mono with the machine....

So last week I took the "garbage can lid" for a trial with my GP3000....I couldn't believe the depth

on test targets above ground .....fantastic sensitivitivy.....so I (we) now know that all SD coils will

work on the GP machines....but I also emailed Coiltek in AU and ask them about the SD coil and

here is their reply:

The old coils like that were made by us in the early days when Coiltek was

just working out of a house and shed!

I wasn't with Coiltek back then but I am sure Coiltek was contracted by

Minelab to make them.

If you have a good one of those coils they worked well yet the fibre glass

is very fragile.

Hello All,

I've used this coil on every PI minelab has made except the 4000.

I've got a hand full of these 18" green garbage can lid coils for sale. All are brand new never used.

There were made for the SD2000.

Pm me for the price.

nvchris

post-861-1241706805_thumb.jpg

Ok,

Guess I read the post wrong. :confused0013: I thought the post read: "SD coil used on a GPS". I was imaging a big SD coil somehow connected into a GPS and used as an antenna. :eee: Maybe needed to pick up one's location through the tripple canopy of the rainforest? Anyway, if anyone gets lost in the jungle due to lack of signal strength it might be something to try, maybe something Mcgeyver would have done if he had been a nugget shooter :smrt1:

Terry

Well Don,

I bought the stock from a dealer that retired and got some more from an auction several years ago. :brows:

I got all kinds of stuff for vintage minelab detectors. I even got the first model of there VLF's and sold a brand new SD 2000 a few months back to a very happy

dealer. (he hugged the box) I wonder if he sent in the warranty card :hmmmmmm:

Need parts or an old coil, just a pm away :)

Here's another benchmark detector from the past, Guess the model ......

post-861-1241746143_thumb.jpg

nvchris

Hello guys,

over here in Australia, every detector shop has at least 3 of these sitting in a corner gathering dust. AU$50 is a normal price for them....a lot have never been used. WHY??? Over here they are just too darn noisy to use 'cause of our ground minerals. Like Chris says they are called 'Rubbish bin lids' or 'Green umbrella's'. I have seen a few (as a joke) made into an umbrella. Lots have ended up in landfill! But, in the milder ground conditions over there in the USA, they could be a great option for more depth at minimal price. Thanx, Andy

Hello Chris,

Eureka Ace! Do I win a prize :laught16: ???? Top detector in its day, 'specially with the

6inch coil! Thanx, Andy

• 1 month later...
I don't remember who it was that was asking a question about coils being inter-changeable..

Hi I would like to ask you what you think I am look at a used ML sd 2200 and he has a ML GP extreme heard lots bad things on the extreme. Do you think the 2200 would be better. and how can I tell how old the 2200 is?

this was two or three weeks ago and someone said that all SD coils could be used on all of

the GP machines except for the early SD2000 coils.....I was lucky to have the first SD2000 in the

USA and it was also the first in Brazil.....about four years ago I sold the SD2000 but kept the old

"garbage can lid" coil and sold a Coiltek 18" mono with the machine....

So last week I took the "garbage can lid" for a trial with my GP3000....I couldn't believe the depth

on test targets above ground .....fantastic sensitivitivy.....so I (we) now know that all SD coils will

work on the GP machines....but I also emailed Coiltek in AU and ask them about the SD coil and

here is their reply:

The old coils like that were made by us in the early days when Coiltek was

just working out of a house and shed!

I wasn't with Coiltek back then but I am sure Coiltek was contracted by

Minelab to make them.

If you have a good one of those coils they worked well yet the fibre glass

is very fragile.