Nugget Shooter Forums

Metal Detecting Pick

No luck this weekend with the new detector. Maybe next time, Great country, lots of treasures. I am looking for a pick. Any one have any suggestions?

No luck this weekend with the new detector. Maybe next time, Great country, lots of treasures. I am looking for a pick. Any one have any suggestions?

Well there's the New Pro Gold Pick, large, medium and small. http://www.nuggetshooter.com/Store/NuggetShooters3.html

It was discussed in a thread here, I think recently. But being a newbie myself I'm not sure 'cause on some good advice I read lots of old threads as well, and being a senior

What were we talking about?

Dig it.

Keith

post-3800-1241479672_thumb.jpgpost-3800-1241478916_thumb.jpg]I just bought a new pick a few weeks back. It is a Hodan pick, and it works great. I glued 4 - 1/8 '' pieces of 1 inch conduit on it. 2 on each side. Bought 4 super magnets 1 inch by 1/8 disc 64 lb magnets from K and J magnets, put the magnets inside the slivers of conduit. I used Gorilla glue. the magnet won't explode if you put them inside the conduit, and they won't come out. The silver on the 23 inch handle is duct tape, to keep it from slipping and me knicking it. This thing really picks up the trash, and is a good light wt. pick. I hope that I have helped. Silver Dog Doug

By far the best pick on the market is the Hermit Pick, made by one of the forum members and available here on the forum. I have two and love them to no end. They are American made, well designed and will withstand a near nuclear blast (well, two outta three isn't bad). It really is a great pick, and I highly recommend getting one. Just my :twocents: , Jason. :;):

Hilander,

I have several picks but, my favorite is the Hermit pick that I got from the Nugget Shooter Store. It really breaks up the hard-packed ground, and has a nice wide scoop to clear the dirt all-the-way out of the hole, right now. Bill even threw in a nice neo to pick up the iron-trash. As an added bonus, it even breaks up the caliche in our garden, which is four inches down, when my wife wants me to add newly-bought potted plants. I then rack up the big points which allow for hunting time in the field. No lie!

Ben

Another Opinion To Consider...

Over the years I've owned several picks, some were not well suited for nugget hunting, others fell apart in the field. Bad deal when your out in the boonies.

I've owned my Apex Talon pick over a year now & consider it the ' best ' nugget recovery tool on the market. This old guy even picked up some helpfull recovery ideas off the tip sheet that came with it.

This pick the best constructed one I've seen, better than the old Aussie picks.

The Apex Picks come with 3 'strong' super magnets mounted on their heads that literally jerks iron trash out of the ground. The magnets are captured in welded steel collars so more busted or expensive glued magnets flying across the plains. This company also makes picks in several weights & handle lengths.

I "really" like the pick holster I bought from them, first I've ever owned that carried my pick at an angle across by back so the dang handle didn't trip me. Helps hide the picks head from my Minelab coil. TIP always best to tune your detecter with all your gear on.

The 30" long handle that came on my pick also helps this old guy navigate rough terrain.

If your still in the market you might want to check out their website at www.apexpicks.com

If you have a prospecting club in your area might be worth joining.

Happy hunting,

Auswinger

-