Nugget Shooter Forums

Here is a rock I found in a patch, being new to rocks I Googled to see if I could find something similar, but had no luck.

This piece flys to my magnet and sticks well, it is heavier than other rocks it's size in that area and is the only one I found with my detector in that patch.

Can anyone help identify?

post-21152-1241228238_thumb.jpgpost-21152-1241228250_thumb.jpgpost-21152-1241228262_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Tony Teixeira

Tony, do a streak test on it, (on the underside of the toilet bowl lid) and see what the color is. If it's Mag/Hematite it will streak grayish, black to even a bit brownish. Meteorites may streak on the first rub, but will not leave anything after that. Hope this helps, Jason. :;):

Here is a rock I found in a patch, being new to rocks I Googled to see if I could find something similar, but had no luck.

This piece flys to my magnet and sticks well, it is heavier than other rocks it's size in that area and is the only one I found with my detector in that patch.

Can anyone help identify?

post-21152-1241228238_thumb.jpgpost-21152-1241228250_thumb.jpgpost-21152-1241228262_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Tony Teixeira

Tony,

Nice pictures.......

Check out this link................specimen NR. 289 is probably what you have.............. Magnetite

click on the picture for some explanation..... This site is a good place to get educated on meteor-wrongs. Check out all 4 pages.... The streak test on your specimen probably will be grey to black, as Jason explained.

Your specimen shows a subconchoidal fracturing, which is indicative of magnetite.

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/meteorwrongs/meteorwrongs4.htm

Jim

Jason,

I tried the lid test and it produced black streaks, that's a neat little test.

Thanks

Jim,

Yes, it does have the properties of #289 (magnetite), It can attract the head of a pin. It also looks physically like #277 to me (hematite), from what I understand so far those 2 can go hand in hand.

Well guys, I looks like I found my first magnetite rock! It is interesting.

Thanks for the help and the great website.

Tony Teixeira