Nugget Shooter Forums

detecting stony meteorites with PI

My Minelab GPX 4000 works great. All of my coils, including the Commander 18 inch Mono work, but the smaller coils obviously work better for the smaller (@25gram or so) meteorites, but I generally use the 14in elip mono Nuggetfinder. Settings don't seem to make a whole lot of difference for me, but usually am in Normal Sensitive. Works for both Frankonia and Gold Basin meteorites.

I've found many meteorites out at Gold Basin and Franconia with my GPX-4000 and I'm sure all the oher Minelab PI's have no problems picking them up too. Don't know about the White's TDI but it's certainly worth a try. I'm actually curious to hear how it would perform. :hmmmmmm:

Del

Thanks gms and Del, that's encouraging, as Gold Basin and Franconia are high on the list when I can get away to go hunting. I'm hoping to go in the fall and I'll post any results of using the tdi.

Hi Beepnik'

I use a Minelabs SD2100 and I have found plenty of chondrites at Gold Basin and Franconia. I have found the H's as large as 150 grams, and smaller than one gram.

Ben

Del, when I was at GB with Nate and we bumped in to Jim he told me that someone had bought a TDI and he was there to help test it out. I think it was Rick and Connie.

Jim told me that the thing was horrible.

Hopefully Whites can work out the bugs.

[Erik]

Del, when I was at GB with Nate and we bumped in to Jim he told me that someone had bought a TDI and he was there to help test it out. I think it was Rick and Connie.

Jim told me that the thing was horrible.

Hopefully Whites can work out the bugs.

[Erik]

Erik and all,

I only had less than an hour with Rick after bumping into him and Stan at GB. Not knowing anything about the machine, Rick tuned his TDI and we tested it against my GP3000/N/F-14"E-mono, a GMT, GM3 and John Wolfe's GB2. If I remember right, Stan was present with his GMT. I had both GB and Franconia approx... 10 gram throw downs, we also had several small nuggets as well as a small 3 gram GB gold/matrix specimen. The TDI did not respond well to any of the tests, all the other detectors screamed....... I honestly think that there was something wrong with Ricks TDI, or some other explanation is in order. I have gotten very good reports from many other TDI users and can see no reason why the TDI would not work for hunting meteorites. A working unit in the hands of someone that has put in the learning curve time is the only thing that will produce a proper answer to the question. I am sure that Rick's TDI did not preform as it is capable of doing. I love my GMT, it excels at what it is designed to do and the TDI is a step up and out from the GMT, so therefore I cannot imagine it not measuring up to the advertising.

Jim

Hej everyone.

I relly don´t know what kind of detector is good, but i was thinking about a CS4PI because of the basaltic salt and the wet climet. I don´t know if there is a detector better then CS4PI for the conditions mentioned above.

Good hunt.

Ps.

I will post some pics. when digicam come´s back from reapirs next week.

I have gotten very good reports from many other TDI users and can see no reason why the TDI would not work for hunting meteorites. A working unit in the hands of someone that has put in the learning curve time is the only thing that will produce a proper answer to the question.

Jim this is exactly what I think about the TDI so far too. When I go out and hunt for gold sometimes I run into guys with these detectors so they're definitely making their way into the field. So far I have yet to meet someone who has spent the time to really learn these detectors and I look forward to the day when I do so I can see it's capabilities for myself.

I once came across a guy that claimed he found a few nuggets with his. The man showed me a 1/4 oz slug that he claimed was found at 1 foot deep (very easy pickings for a Minelab PI) with his TDI. I figured the guy knew how to use it well so I asked him for a side by side comparison with my SD2100. The man went back to his camp, picked up his TDI and came over and handed it to me... I honestly had no clue how to use it and I figured the guy would jump in to tune it for me but he didn't. To me this brought his ability to effectively use the TDI into question because if he knew how to properly use it he would have tuned it in for me in no time. So who knows if he was telling the truth, we all know when there's depth claims on any detector the hole depth gets deeper as time goes on... especially when talking to Gold Prospectors! :bs: :laught16: (no pun intended to anyone)

To me PI detectors depth and capabilities boil down to the size of the battery since this is what supplies the juice that get's pumped into the ground. I've seen some PI's that have 8 AA batteries and I find it very hard to believe these detectors will get anywhere near the depth of any Minelab PI. The first thing I looked at when I came across a White's TDI was the battery... and it had a nice beefy heavy duty battery... a very good sign! There's other things about the TDI that I've read that definitely makes me sit up and take notice that I just don’t have the time to get into right now.

For know I'm keeping an open mind about the TDI because so far it looks to me like White's is onto something good. Only time will tell how good that detector is.

Del

TDI

Well as Jim said I did not have any luck with the TDI , and was told that it might not find any meteorites, this was from the factory . I had all kind of problem with my unit, but still say there had to be something wrong with it. I used it for three months, and had problems all the time. It might have been me, or the unit. The one thing that I will say is Whites stands behind everything they make.

I spent time on the phone with Whites, and they told me to send it back if I couldn't get it working, and I did just that. I still think it was the unit, because one MIn. it seemed to work Ok then if you went right back over the target again it would not pick it up.

I have a MXT, and when I sent back the TDI, I got a GMT that I love.

I would be interested in finding out how you make out with your unit, and after seeing someone having no problems with one I would give it a try again.

I can't say enough good things about the way I was treated by Whites, and will continue to buy their products.

So please let us know how you make out with your TDI.

Thanks Rick

Aloha guys,

Other guys I have talked to that own a TDI swear by it but they also said that the learning curve is pretty steep and you really have to get out and "work at it" to familiar with it.

Glad to hear that Rick has a GMT now and am looking forward to meeting up with him at gold basin or franconia so we can get him a meteorite. Then he will be hooked for sure.

Jim, John Wolfe and I just could not figure out why Ricks' TDI could not pick up even a sub gram piece while my Goldmax sierra coil screamed at it. glad to see that Whites' is standing behind their product and their reputation is excellent. One of the main reasons I always am out there singing praises about them and their product.

Let us know how you do with the TDI if that is what you will getting.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

BTW, Rick if you read this post get in touch with me so we can get you that GB meteorite soon.