Nugget Shooter Forums

Noob here, what detector?

garrddogg

Hi everybody, new guy here.. Im askin for advice as to what detector to go after.. Im new to detectin and lookin for a GOOD used detector I was lookin at buyin a new extera 70 but thought maybe I could find a better used one in my price range. I figure $1000 to maybe $2000 for the right deal on one. Im in Lake Havasu City.... AZ and will be lookin more for nuggets than Relics. I know the ML 4500 is the best but outta my range, and I was told the 4000 wasnt as good as it was supposed to be. (again this only what I was told) please correct me if im wrong.

So I guess my question is what do I want? what should look for in a detector?

Thanks in advance the new guy, lookin to learn.

Gary

Hi everybody, new guy here.. Im askin for advice as to what detector to go after.. Im new to detectin and lookin for a GOOD used detector I was lookin at buyin a new extera 70 but thought maybe I could find a better used one in my price range. I figure $1000 to maybe $2000 for the right deal on one. Im in Lake Havasu City.... AZ and will be lookin more for nuggets than Relics. I know the ML 4500 is the best but outta my range, and I was told the 4000 wasnt as good as it was supposed to be. (again this only what I was told) please correct me if im wrong.

Gary

I just want to throw this out there - You can start by spending a whole lot less money buying a Fisher Gold Bug 2, or a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. Both machines run about $700, and can easily handle the highly mineralized soils in the desert. You could also buy a used Minelab 2200 - or better - for a thousand to two-thousand dollars. Watch Ebay for a deal, they happen every day.

As far as the Minelab 4000 not being "as good as it was supposed to be," that is pure garbage! I have found pea-size nuggets two-feet deep with a Minelab 4000. The problems with sophisticated machines are 99-percent operator connected. You have to LEARN how to operate them, how to ground balance them, and what to listen for. It takes me a good hour to two hours to teach most folks the elementary basics when using a Minelab 4000, or 4500.

Looking forward to hearing more comments, and keep us posted on what you end up with and what you find! Good luck and Big Nuggets! - Terry

Friends loaned me a Bounty Hunter which just won't do the job for me, but is real good at finding bent and rusty nails if they are shallow.

So after reading this forum and doing other research on the subject I decided I better budget my meager resources in the $2k range. I am planning on seeing Bill, this forum's host who is known for personal service, in a week or less to get a new SD2200, which is what I can afford and is in your price range.

Then I can go get serious and find the gold of nature and the great outdoors, crisp starry nights and days of brilliance and storm. And if I can apply my knowledge, perhaps next year I'll be able to see Bill about what ever replaces the 4500. I'm optimistic.

Talk to Bill.

Dig it.

Keith (greener than green)

Hey Dogg,

I'm not the expert some of these folks are on this forum but I have owned a GP 3500, Gold bug 2 and a Lobo super traq. Like you, if nuggets were my primary target and I had a couple grand, I would go with a minelab PI detector too. If you worked it right through for 2 grand you could probably find a GP extream up to a GP 3500. I know they have modded SD's that do real well but the GP's I would think have a edge and I would imagine like anything else, the newer the model you buy the longer it would hold it's value when you are ready to sell. Just my 2 clad cents.

Terry

:twocents: Garrdog

Not that I am an expert by any means I am also a newbie. but for that same 2 grand you can get yourself a Fisher Gold Bug 2 with extra coils, or a Tesoro Lobo Supertrack plus picks and other equipment to get you started. You may want to pick up a dry washer and other things as well. I got enough gear to outfit me and my son for less than $2,000.00 I think I am only in about $1,500 right now.

Just a thought. 1 item that is really cool or a couple items that will help you get the GOLD :icon_mrgreen:

Tim

:Huh_anim]: The last thing a nobie should do is start throwing around large amounts of cash!! Not 1 in a 100 can hack nugget shooting--it's the absolute hardest,toughest,most dangerous form of detecting there is--unless you live in a ghetto. Join a club--be it gold,gem or detecting-there are always a few good ol'boyz(same as this forum)who will steer you right through that immensely painful learning curve--FIRST!!!!! tons a a au 2 u2 -John

:Huh_anim]: The last thing a nobie should do is start throwing around large amounts of cash!! Not 1 in a 100 can hack nugget shooting--it's the absolute hardest,toughest,most dangerous form of detecting there is--unless you live in a ghetto. Join a club--be it gold,gem or detecting-there are always a few good ol'boyz(same as this forum)who will steer you right through that immensely painful learning curve--FIRST!!!!! tons a a au 2 u2 -John

John,

I agree about the part of throwing around money unless of course you're throwing it my way :innocent0009: :broke:

Nugget detecting is probably the hardest type of detecting but when I was running a dredge or small trommel etc it felt like a vacation day to pick up the detector and go detecting but it's all realitive :postdigger:

Terry

It sounds like you have been given some sage advice. There are many ways to get the gold, and all of them require using all of the tools mentoned at one time, or at the same time. A gold bug 2 and a drywasher is a good start, and when you have mastered that the natural progression would be a PI detector. Joining a club and drawing on the experience of the other members is the best advice you have been given heed it.

Good hunting

Well I'm not a masochist so I'll tell you about this Bounty Hunter which I can use for free.

I'm sure, after getting steering from reading the good ol'boyz of this forum and other sources, that if I did not 'start throwing around large amounts of cash!!' on the used pickup I just bought and went on foot and more cash on the SD2200 Bill is getting for me and used just that Bounty Hunter, I would guarantee myself a painful learning curve.

Why, except a perverse desire for failure, give oneself lousy odds?

Dig it.

Keith

Whatever detector one buy's it's nice to feel confident about it. When I was using my GP 3500 I had also received some great training, and knew I had a great detector. There was no doubt in my mind that if I got my coil over a nugget it was mine! That kind confidence is very motivating. There is always a learning curve for learning a detector but like some of the folks here have said, drawing on the experience of others can reduce that curve significantly.

It's best to look at detecting as a hobby. If a person expects to recoup the cost of their equipment anytime soon they will probably be dissapointed.

When I went up to Alaska, the locals up there told me stories of people who had quit thier jobs, sold all they had and came north to make a living finding gold. Soon they had spent their money and ended up looking for handouts just to survive and no way to get back home. Guess I'm getting off the subject here.

Also, I don't want to give anyone the idea that buying an expensive minelab is the only way to go. Actually, I could probably find more pieces of gold with a gold bug 2 but generally they would on average be much smaller nuggets. Also, keep in mind one big drawlback to the minelab PI's is a lack of discrimination. They can be next to useless in a trashy area. Aside from cost, if they ever perfect discrimination for a minlab PI detector it would be the ultimate detector but as it stands there is not yet one detector perfect in all situations. If that sounds confusing I guess it's because it is. :grrr01:

With:

A good detector

Good training

A location known for finding nuggets

a lot of persistance

You'll find some gold

Hello

Do not be fooled by all the claims of each detector. Start on your block and listen to what you expect on your hunts. Start shallow one to three inches. The expensive machines go much deeper and you will dig junk much deeper.!!! This is fine when you are tuned in for the deeper finds. A beach or city park will get you there!! Find coins foil and pop tops first and the treasure will come in time. My first $50 detector only found 50 gold rings.(What a Shame) A bounty Hunter and it scored best and won most hunts in a club hunt with the best machines. When you are ready to graduate to a deeper seeking product you will be ready to know what is real treasure.

Wayne

Gary

I Know the situation... I too am a newby and you are looking at spending about the same amount of cash that I did... i started with the SD 2000 and after 4 Months of getting out every second day and not finding anything and getting ready to give it up as a bad joke I upgraded to the Extreme and litteraly had results within 15 minutes.... My only advise is to say take your time....get the newest Minelabs detector you can afford. Make sure you have a look at a few DVDs on nugget hunting and don't believe tho old timers when they say the oldies are as good as the new ones.... the newer detectors will scream at you every time they find gold, the old ones whisper and it can be hard to hear over the ground noises..

Good Luck,,

:icon_mrgreen:

Out of curiouisty what is the advantage of a goldbug2 for a low cost detector vs a whites goldmaster ?

Betta,

I've never owned a goldmaster but I suspect there is not a lot of difference between the goldmaster and Gold bug as to their ability to find gold. They both operate in the same frequency range (50 Khz). The gold bugs discrimination is fairly basic but will help you tell iron from gold. However like any detector it's most sensitve with the discriminate off or set very low. Could be the goldmaster series has a better discriminator but someone who has owned one could answer that. If you decide you want one or the other it's probably best to buy the latest version. :twocents:

Hope this helps.

Terry

• 6 years later...

bump :D

This was an interesting post that was lost in time... It seems to be relevant to posts made today

so I bumped it... jim

• Like 1