Nugget Shooter Forums

How would you like to own this vein? I sure would like to see some of the ore coming out of this one!

post-1252-1241016963_thumb.jpg

Hey what does the (g/t) mean under au?

Thanks Steve

Eldorado I understand you post meant that this was a good mine. Can you give me a point of reference? What makes it a rich mine? How much more are these numbers better than other mines and in what way?

Thanks in advance

Guest bedrock bob

I believe an old newspaper man in a mining town in Nevada said that "All statisticians are liars". Assay results are just that...Statistical analysis.

If I chipped away a cupfull of ore fom a poor vein in a rich zone and had it assayed it could run 1000 O.P.T., If I took a cross section of shaft from a rich gold mine in a poor zone it may assay zilch. Zero. Zip. Even if a days work produced $1000 in gold.

This is doing an "honest" assay. One fly speck of a color in a 3 lb. sample will make a one ounce sample indicate a fantastic mine even if it is as barren as Hillary.

The only real indication of the value of a mine is an analysis of profit from a weeks work at a given rate and overhead. Fantastic assay results are very common even in a poor hole.

The results given are an analysis of a certain series of samples, and probably from a series of tests like AA, ICP, GC/MS, and fire. Assay results are of value only to the fellow that cut the samples. Only he knows how many feet of shaft he will dig to yield a profit based on the data. Also, assay results rarely ever aproximate the actual recovery of a given smelting/refining mix. I have yet to see a mine that will actually produce 75% of the reported values in an assay report when the ore is reduced by a smelter. While a great assay is good (if not the norm) there is rarely even a correlation between this data and the ability to mine at a profit.

No cross sectional data is given to indicate that this is anything else besides a random rock chip sample, or even a piece of partially refined bullion. If the sample was split from the volume of rock five feet wide, six feet high, and three feet deep from the face of a shaft, and drill samples showed a like assay in the direction of a cut I would call it a gold mine. Otherwise it is a spreadsheet with high numbers that mean absolutely nothing to a prospector or a prospective buyer of a property.

Bedrock Bob

So to dumb it down for people like me, unless you have actually dug out and proved a quantity of dirt from the hole, the cup size sample that was used to give good numbers, could have been the only cup worth anything? Do I have that right?

sonnysnewlife:

g/t means grams per ton or grams per tonne (metric ton)

There are 31.1 grams of gold in a troy ounce.

Yes, its an analysis of a hard rock material (a vein) that contains gold. More than an ounce of gold per ton is considered to be high grade rock.

Bedrock Bob -

I strongly disagree with you that all assays are nothing more than BS. Yup, if you dont take representative samples they dont represent anything. However when you drill holes into the ground and intersect a vein a few hundred feet deep, you cant pick and choose like you can off a vein outcrop. This is exactly how the gold mining industry does sampling and millions of dollars are invested and millions of ounces of gold are mined and and produced based on this type of sampling. Also, I have known of several mines that produced more than the estimate based on assays.

Chris

BB once again I see you are still on track to discredit me for just about anything. No sample worth a can of beans is just a cup of material as in your example. It's not even one drill hole, but an average of many. The samples were taken from the vein via tunneling. The results show samples from 27 meters of a particular vein. Sonny in the terms shown, one sample (A-170) showed 20 oz /ton. That is incredibly rich and is only one level from the vein. It was not from drill samples it was from a tunnel into the vein at the 180 meter level of that vein.......

I do wish it was the 16-1, cause shortly I will need more for my jewelry. Worst part is the mine is in China...darn

The whole story:

Further High Grade Gold Mineralization Intersected by Underground Tunneling at the HNK Gold-Polymetallic Project, Guangdong Province, China

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA—April 29, 2009-- New Pacific Metals Corp. (TSX-V: NUX) reports tunneling assay results from its exploration program at the HNK Gold-Polymetallic Project located in Guangning County, Guangdong Province, Peoples Republic of China. The HNK Project permit covers an area of approximately 56.5 square kilometers.

To date, the Company has completed a total of 14,925 meters (m) of diamond drilling in 51 holes and has completed 1,270 meters of underground tunneling in four levels in 40 m intervals: 260m, 220m, and 180m Levels, mainly following the V9 vein. Previous drilling has traced V9 from surface to elevation -30 meters or over 400 m from surface as indicated in Cross Section Zero.

Tunneling Program

In the 27.6 metre newly developed drift along the V9 vein at the 180m Level, the average grade over 27.6 m of drift is 294.8 gram/tonne (g/t) gold (Au), 123.8 g/t silver (Ag), 1.33% lead (Pb) and 1.93% zinc (Zn) at an average width of 0.37 m. These grades are significantly higher than those intersections in the previous drill holes nearby.

Please refer to Company’s website www.newpacificmetals.com for February 16, 2009 News Release and additional maps including a plan view map of the tunnels and a cross section at Line Zero.

Table 1: HNK Tunnel Sampling Results

Major Assay results from channel sampling completed on the V9 at Elevation 180

Continuing Underground Tunneling Program

Based on these significant drifting results, the Company plans to continue with an extensive underground tunneling program totaling 3,260 m of drifting, cross cuts and raises on V9 vein from elevation 300 to elevation 180 on 40 m elevation intervals and on R1 vein at elevation 195. The objective is to advance the mineralized zones to mineral resources or reserves, if and where possible, between line 7 and line 20 and to mine sufficient material for a bulk sample for metallurgical testing that will be utilized in expediting the preparation of technical reports to apply for a Mining Permit.

Metallurgical Testing

The Hunan Institute for Non-Ferrous Metal Research, a Qualified Chinese Engineering firm, has completed a preliminary metallurgical testing program consisting of crushing and floatation. The ore was crushed and ground to -200 mesh and three concentrates (gold-lead, gold-pyrite and Zinc) were produced and metal recoveries were analyzed. The preliminary closed circuit tests demonstrates that the process flow, including gold-lead-pyrite mix floatation and then zinc floatation produces a good mineral recoveries and thus suitable for this type of ore. The overall metal recoveries were 92% for gold, 91% for silver, 96% for lead, and 92% for zinc.

Quality Control

The Company maintains a quality control program to ensure best practice in sampling and analysis of the samples. All samples are shipped directly in security bags to ALS Chemex (Guangzhou) Co. Ltd., a laboratory certified by China Bureau of Quality Control and Quality Assurance. In the laboratory, samples are dried, crushed, split, pulverized to 200 mesh, and then assayed using a standard 30 g nominal sample weight gold by fire assay with AAS finish.

According to ALS Chemex, for the Fire Assay – AA process, a prepared sample is fused with a mixture of lead oxide, sodium carbonate, borax, silica and other reagents are required, inquarted with gold –free silver and then cupelled to yield a precious metal bead. The bead is digested in dilute nitric acid in the microwave oven, and then concentrated hydrochloric acid is added and the bead is further digested in the microwave at a low power setting. The digested solution is cooled, diluted with de-mineralized water and analyzed by atomic absorption spectroscopy against matrix-matched standards.

The exploration work is carried out by wholly owned subsidiary, Yunnan Jin Chang Jiang Mining Co. Ltd., and is directly supervised by Mr. Jigui Sun (B.A. & M.Sc., Geology), the General Manager of Jin Chang Jiang and by Dr. Rui Feng (Ph.D., Geology), Director of New Pacific Metals.

Barry J. Price, M.Sc., P. Geo. Consulting Geologist has reviewed the contents of this News Release as the Qualified Person for the company.

About New Pacific Metals Corp.

New Pacific Metals Corp is engaged in the acquisition and exploration, of gold and polymetallic properties in the People's Republic of China ("China"). Currently, the Company is focusing on exploring and defining gold mineral resources in the Guangdong Province.

For Further Information: please contact New Pacific Metals Corp., Lou Duarte, President, Phone: (604) 633-1368, Fax: (604) 669-9387, Email: info@newpacificmetals.com, Website: www.newpacificmetals.com

sonnysnewlife:

Yes, its an analysis of a hard rock material (a vein) that contains gold. More than an ounce of gold per ton is considered to be high grade rock.

Bedrock Bob -

I strongly disagree with you that all assays are nothing more than BS. Yup, if you dont take representative samples they dont represent anything. However when you drill holes into the ground and intersect a vein a few hundred feet deep, you cant pick and choose like you can off a vein outcrop. This is exactly how the gold mining industry does sampling and millions of dollars are invested and millions of ounces of gold are mined and and produced based on this type of sampling. Also, I have known of several mines that produced more than the estimate based on assays.

Chris

Thanks Chris I appreciate the knowledge. As I am not a miner by any means, I will let you guys argue it out. But can we have an intelligent argument and not the typical name calling kind?

I want to be able to learn something from all this.

Thanks again everyone

Thanks for the knowledgable response EL. I hope you will continue to let me ask questions. I am rather confused over the whole thing at this point, because of the disagreement going on. But I will continue to ask questions.

Thanks again.

BB once again I see you are still on track to discredit me for just about anything. No sample worth a can of beans is just a cup of material as in your example. It's not even one drill hole, but an average of many. The samples were taken from the vein via tunneling. The results show samples from 27 meters of a particular vein. Sonny in the terms shown, one sample (A-170) showed 20 oz /ton. That is incredibly rich and is only one level from the vein. It was not from drill samples it was from a tunnel into the vein at the 180 meter level of that vein.......

I do wish it was the 16-1, cause shortly I will need more for my jewelry. Worst part is the mine is in China...darn

The whole story:

Further High Grade Gold Mineralization Intersected by Underground Tunneling at the HNK Gold-Polymetallic Project, Guangdong Province, China

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA—April 29, 2009-- New Pacific Metals Corp. (TSX-V: NUX) reports tunneling assay results from its exploration program at the HNK Gold-Polymetallic Project located in Guangning County, Guangdong Province, Peoples Republic of China. The HNK Project permit covers an area of approximately 56.5 square kilometers.

To date, the Company has completed a total of 14,925 meters (m) of diamond drilling in 51 holes and has completed 1,270 meters of underground tunneling in four levels in 40 m intervals: 260m, 220m, and 180m Levels, mainly following the V9 vein. Previous drilling has traced V9 from surface to elevation -30 meters or over 400 m from surface as indicated in Cross Section Zero.

Tunneling Program

In the 27.6 metre newly developed drift along the V9 vein at the 180m Level, the average grade over 27.6 m of drift is 294.8 gram/tonne (g/t) gold (Au), 123.8 g/t silver (Ag), 1.33% lead (Pb) and 1.93% zinc (Zn) at an average width of 0.37 m. These grades are significantly higher than those intersections in the previous drill holes nearby.

Please refer to Company’s website www.newpacificmetals.com for February 16, 2009 News Release and additional maps including a plan view map of the tunnels and a cross section at Line Zero.

Table 1: HNK Tunnel Sampling Results

Major Assay results from channel sampling completed on the V9 at Elevation 180

Continuing Underground Tunneling Program

Based on these significant drifting results, the Company plans to continue with an extensive underground tunneling program totaling 3,260 m of drifting, cross cuts and raises on V9 vein from elevation 300 to elevation 180 on 40 m elevation intervals and on R1 vein at elevation 195. The objective is to advance the mineralized zones to mineral resources or reserves, if and where possible, between line 7 and line 20 and to mine sufficient material for a bulk sample for metallurgical testing that will be utilized in expediting the preparation of technical reports to apply for a Mining Permit.

Metallurgical Testing

The Hunan Institute for Non-Ferrous Metal Research, a Qualified Chinese Engineering firm, has completed a preliminary metallurgical testing program consisting of crushing and floatation. The ore was crushed and ground to -200 mesh and three concentrates (gold-lead, gold-pyrite and Zinc) were produced and metal recoveries were analyzed. The preliminary closed circuit tests demonstrates that the process flow, including gold-lead-pyrite mix floatation and then zinc floatation produces a good mineral recoveries and thus suitable for this type of ore. The overall metal recoveries were 92% for gold, 91% for silver, 96% for lead, and 92% for zinc.

Quality Control

The Company maintains a quality control program to ensure best practice in sampling and analysis of the samples. All samples are shipped directly in security bags to ALS Chemex (Guangzhou) Co. Ltd., a laboratory certified by China Bureau of Quality Control and Quality Assurance. In the laboratory, samples are dried, crushed, split, pulverized to 200 mesh, and then assayed using a standard 30 g nominal sample weight gold by fire assay with AAS finish.

According to ALS Chemex, for the Fire Assay – AA process, a prepared sample is fused with a mixture of lead oxide, sodium carbonate, borax, silica and other reagents are required, inquarted with gold –free silver and then cupelled to yield a precious metal bead. The bead is digested in dilute nitric acid in the microwave oven, and then concentrated hydrochloric acid is added and the bead is further digested in the microwave at a low power setting. The digested solution is cooled, diluted with de-mineralized water and analyzed by atomic absorption spectroscopy against matrix-matched standards.

The exploration work is carried out by wholly owned subsidiary, Yunnan Jin Chang Jiang Mining Co. Ltd., and is directly supervised by Mr. Jigui Sun (B.A. & M.Sc., Geology), the General Manager of Jin Chang Jiang and by Dr. Rui Feng (Ph.D., Geology), Director of New Pacific Metals.

Barry J. Price, M.Sc., P. Geo. Consulting Geologist has reviewed the contents of this News Release as the Qualified Person for the company.

About New Pacific Metals Corp.

New Pacific Metals Corp is engaged in the acquisition and exploration, of gold and polymetallic properties in the People's Republic of China ("China"). Currently, the Company is focusing on exploring and defining gold mineral resources in the Guangdong Province.

For Further Information: please contact New Pacific Metals Corp., Lou Duarte, President, Phone: (604) 633-1368, Fax: (604) 669-9387, Email: info@newpacificmetals.com, Website: www.newpacificmetals.com

I'd like to address Bob here in his assesstment of an assay!

Today we as prospectors or mining concerns in the process of developing our prospected claim are Not "speculating", as in years past, on a few "pick and choose" samples that can be taken to an assayer who would determine oz./grams per ton based on the "word" of the individual providing said samples.

Todays sampling methods are far different from those of the past which caused massive speculation on the stock market for those less unimformed, however taday this is not the case!

A bag of "pick and choose" samples at an assay office back then had a tendency to start a "rush", however today.....naw, it just don't work that way. There's to many secondary dollars involved to develope a viable mining property before development efforts hit the stock exchange.

Gary

Gary, I don't know if you have any connection with GotGold (the db), but you did provide a link which I checked out.

Ok. So I'm gonna grouse a little here, and it's the same with the gvt's discriminatory practices in regards to LR2000.

Look, this is the 21st century. Limiting an application to Windoze users and unExcel is unnecessary given the options and market.

I'm a Mac freak - 20 + years. There is no reason someone developing a db as a stand-alone application cannot develop the db for Mac users as well as Windoze users.

I have no connection with the company, but there is a db application called FileMaker® which is cross-platform and which has a developer's version that allows creation of stand-alone's for Mac or Windoze without regard to the platform on which it is developed. I don't know if it's become Linux friendly, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has.

I've used FileMaker® for my own purposes since 1992 when I started with a bootlegged copy of Version2. I retired at Version 8.5 and they are up to Version 10 the last time I looked. Point and click development. Drag and drop > FM can take an unExcel spreadsheet and convert it to a FM db and Windoze users can take a FM db and convert it to unExcel. FileMaker® is exceptionally versatile. In addition to being cross platform, FM db's are presentable on the web, as for a member's (pay for) website, with built-in instant web publishing.

While I retired at v8.5, I still use some FM developments daily and create new ones as I find uses, which is surprisingly often.

The point is, there is no reason to limit one's market to Windoze users and in the process pissing off pc owners whose pc's are Mac OS's. So if you know anyone at GotGold, you might pass this on for their marketing considerations.

GotGold's data looks very useful and like something I would purchase. But no matter how useful that data may be, it is not so useful as to convince me I should buy a Windoze pc to have it. I have a Mac which is quite capable of serving data which has been developed cross platform. In fact, my Mac can run Windoze. But even GotGold is not enough reason for me to make my Mac run like someone slathered the hard drive with cold molasses.

Unnecessary discrimination is so NOT 21st century.

I apologize for this rant.

Dig it.

Keith

Guest bedrock bob
So to dumb it down for people like me, unless you have actually dug out and proved a quantity of dirt from the hole, the cup size sample that was used to give good numbers, could have been the only cup worth anything? Do I have that right?

Exactly. It is like an X/Y axis thing. Speed is only relative to ime just like good ore is only realative to feet of shaft and volume. A good number on an assay report means very little without knowing how the assay was taken. Still, the type of ore, the type of country rock, the location, and a whole buttload of other factors determine the profitability of the mine.

Some mines run over 1000 oz per ton and are unprofitable because of other factors, some mines only run $6-8 bucks a yard and can provide a decent profit. Assay reports are used in financial statements and prospectus to make investors confident or attract new ones.

An assay report without the rest of the equation is like asking this question, "A train left Seattle going 60 MPH, a train left the midwest going 70 MPH, they traveled for an indeterminate amount of time, where will they meet?"

There is no "new metnod" for taking assays. A company can send what they want, and the lab will run an analysis. The company can publish that info and represent it however they want. There are as many shady operators as there ever has been. The configuration of the ore body, the chemical makeup of the ore, and the eficiency of the reduction, and the management of the operation are the key factors in profitability.

Numbers on a spreadsheet aint gold, just something to talk about and wonder. Eldorado's detailed cut and paste job lends credence to the reports I suppose. Great gold in China. Hope he gets to "see some of that ore" someday. I am not trying to discredit anyone here, Sonny asked a question and I tried to elaborate with how it really is.

Bedrock Bob

Some mines run over 1000 oz per ton and are unprofitable because of other factors, some mines only run $6-8 bucks a yard and can provide a decent profit. Assay reports are used in financial statements and prospectus to make investors confident or attract new ones.

An assay report without the rest of the equation is like asking this question, "A train left Seattle going 60 MPH, a train left the midwest going 70 MPH, they traveled for an indeterminate amount of time, where will they meet?"

Bedrock Bob

Ok the part I left in and this is a question for anybody, not just Bob, The difference being?

Say the mine running 1000oz per ton is not profitable, because? Location? Extraction methods? Some other type of overhead?

What could make it less profitable than the mine that is pulling less per out of the ground?

Base metals,labor costs,Gov't red tape.........How many gold mines have opened in California since the gold act of 1942?..Most gold mines of the motherlode ran a long time on very low grade ore,say$2.50/ton at $35 an ounce.Low overhead and a vast supply of easy to get at ore.However,most probably paid no dividends to shareholders.Who on these forums is going to open a mine anyway,besides Reno Chris!A one to three person operation may be the only viable way for the best claim with easy access,easy permitting,low overhead.....and no higrading by outsiders........Dave

Guest bedrock bob
sonnysnewlife:

Bedrock Bob -

Chris

Chris,

I never said all assays are nothing more than BS. A piece of paper was posted and a question was asked, and I believe I answered it objectively and completely. I have been approached a dozen times with similar pieces of paper. WIthout knowing how the assay was cut and what it represented you simply know squat from an assay report. Pure and simple.

Base metals,labor costs,Gov't red tape.........How many gold mines have opened in California since the gold act of 1942?..Most gold mines of the motherlode ran a long time on very low grade ore,say$2.50/ton at $35 an ounce.Low overhead and a vast supply of easy to get at ore.However,most probably paid no dividends to shareholders.Who on these forums is going to open a mine anyway,besides Reno Chris!A one to three person operation may be the only viable way for the best claim with easy access,easy permitting,low overhead.....and no higrading by outsiders........Dave

Thanks Dave I thought it was something like that. Now let me make an observation, just based on Business details.

Say you have 2 mines that have given the same assay numbers. One such as I would think that the a smaller operation, of say 5 or less participants in the venture, would be more profitable per capita, do to the following:

1. no shareholders

2. No board to monitor and dictate amount of hours spent operating the mine.

3. No overhead with leasing or purchase of equipment.

I know there are other factors that I havent listed here. Now the larger venture would be able to mine more material quicker, thats a given. This would give a quicker turn around of profits, but these profits might be eaten up by some of the factors I listed above right?

So if all the participants of the smaller venture, play fairly, they should in the long run, come out with more gold for each than the larger venture. If you are someone with the education of Reno Chris, unless you are looking for a paycheck instead of sharing the profits, why would you get involved with a larger venture that is owned by share holders?

Especially since Gold has gone up and I believe unless Gold value is frozen again, will go up even further in the coming year, because of the devaluation of the dollar?

Let me apologize in advance to Reno Chris, I am sorry I used you as an example, but your experience and education is knownm to all, even someone as lowly as I.

Guest bedrock bob
Ok the part I left in and this is a question for anybody, not just Bob, The difference being?

Say the mine running 1000oz per ton is not profitable, because? Location? Extraction methods? Some other type of overhead?

What could make it less profitable than the mine that is pulling less per out of the ground?

I costs a buttload to dig a hole at the top of a mountain in a hostile country with no water and bad weather. That mine needs to produce a hell of a lot of high grade ore. Maybe the governmnet takes 30% right off the top. Maybe you have to guard the equipment from cannibals, and a revolution takes place while your operation is under way. All examples of how you could go bust on a high grade dold mine. Tehre are plenty of other reasons...just bad management kills a lot of mines. If you dont have the initial capital to dig, you can sit for years on a fantastic vein and never make three feet of hole.

On the other hand, overburden pushed up by the old timers around here are regularly worth $6 per yard. If I have water available, a rental backhoe at a reasonable price, and only have to drive 20 miles to begin processing dirt it will only cost me $4 per yard to run it. At 50 c.y. per day I am making a $500 per week profit from poor gravel, where the rich vein on the top of the mountain in Costa Rica couldnt bring me anyhting except grief.

There is a hell of a lot more to it than a favorable assay.

Bob

I costs a buttload to dig a hole at the top of a mountain in a hostile country with no water and bad weather. That mine needs to produce a hell of a lot of high grade ore. Maybe the governmnet takes 30% right off the top. Maybe you have to guard the equipment from cannibals, and a revolution takes place while your operation is under way. All examples of how you could go bust on a high grade dold mine. Tehre are plenty of other reasons...just bad management kills a lot of mines. If you dont have the initial capital to dig, you can sit for years on a fantastic vein and never make three feet of hole.

On the other hand, overburden pushed up by the old timers around here are regularly worth $6 per yard. If I have water available, a rental backhoe at a reasonable price, and only have to drive 20 miles to begin processing dirt it will only cost me $4 per yard to run it. At 50 c.y. per day I am making a $500 per week profit from poor gravel, where the rich vein on the top of the mountain in Costa Rica couldnt bring me anyhting except grief.

There is a hell of a lot more to it than a favorable assay.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I guess I am thinking only in terms of the US mines. also please take a look at my last post above?

Thanks for all the insight from everyone.

Guest bedrock bob

:laught16: Can you say "Bismuth"? How about "Cadmium"? I had 56 tons of high grade Mexican ore that ran over 1000 opt in silver, 2 opt in gold, 40% copper, and assay values were over $75K in recoverable metals. By the time I found a smelter that would handle the ore (this is tough in itself for small loads, as smelting chemistry is complex and costly), paid to load and ship it, sotre it on the siding in Butte Montana for three months waiting for it to batch, I only owed PD $2000 bucks! :laught16:

Hey, I still have the assay results from that ore if you all would like to marvel at those numbers! It sure looked good on paper. Not a cent to be had in the entire pile of green rock, but the assay report was suitable for framing.

Bob

Guest bedrock bob
Thanks Bob, I guess I am thinking only in terms of the US mines. also please take a look at my last post above?

Thanks for all the insight from everyone.

Man that is a tough one. A well run business on a large scale can make millions on a gold deposit. I have always been one to "do it myself" and I believe that without the risk to your investment small operations are the best way to go. There are SO MANY factors that make a profit possible in any business (mining included) that it would be impossible to say. A huge low grade deposit would be impossible for a small miner to squeeze a living out of (Carlin), yet a high grade free milling ore can make a couple of honest friends wealthy in the right circumstances.

...I dont believe that any of my examples would be exclusive of American mining. Except the cannibals. Wait, we may have those too. There are a lot of factors to overhead no matter where you are. Mining overhead is often not predictable here or anywhere else. Diesel fuel, equipment repair, wells, permits, tanks, payroll, taxes, reclamation...Depending on exactly where you are at and how the gold is laying, these could all vary widely. So could your process, depending on the ore. Your engineeering determines how you are going to go about it and defines what you will have to do and how much it SHOULD cost...Then Murphy and the wether step in and snap you right back into reality.

Hey, you need to take a few Mining Engineering classes. It is fascinating. A whole lot of the concepts applied to the large operations also apply to the small. It is often easier to get your mind around it on a small scale.

:laught16: Can you say "Bismuth"? How about "Cadmium"? I had 56 tons of high grade Mexican ore that ran over 1000 opt in silver, 2 opt in gold, 40% copper, and assay values were over $75K in recoverable metals. By the time I found a smelter that would handle the ore (this is tough in itself for small loads, as smelting chemistry is complex and costly), paid to load and ship it, sotre it on the siding in Butte Montana for three months waiting for it to batch, I only owed PD $2000 bucks! :laught16:

Hey, I still have the assay results from that ore if you all would like to marvel at those numbers! It sure looked good on paper. Not a cent to be had in the entire pile of green rock, but the assay report was suitable for framing.

Bob

OK Bob, now this is just a question, so dont get PO'd at me. Do you think that the scenario, you mentioned above, has colored your opinions? Sort of a once bitten type of thing?

Guest bedrock bob
OK Bob, now this is just a question, so dont get PO'd at me. Do you think that the scenario, you mentioned above, has colored your opinions? Sort of a once bitten type of thing?

Not really. I have made a profit too on other ventures. It was just a prime example of why "alll assays are just BS". (since someone says that I said that I may as well say that even though I did not say that and it is not what I meant to convey). Here is the deal...Mining is a TOUGH business to make a buck at, especially if you are not manging a big mining company. It is basically a hobby, and most people would do well to forget about getting rich, or even finding something that will give them a steady job. I said it before and I will say it again...

A prospecting has about as much in common with a big mining operation as a deer hunter has in common with the slaughter of the buffalo.

Even if you do find a hot spot, about the time you start dreaming of buying that Cadillac the ore runs out and you go right back to the drawing board. Demobilization is expensive. Reclamation can be a bitch. It just takes all of the fun out of it for me. Prospecting should be fun. If I expect to make a profit I am going to be dissappointed 99% of the time. Even when I do make a profit I have a sore back and a busted knuckle. I went from mining to construction management and made a hell of a lot better money. Same work, more money. It was a GOOD THING. I still mine, but now I ENJOY it.

It all really boils down to reality and what IS and what IS NOT gold in your pocket. I am happy to make my living the way that I do and hit the goldfields for fun. I would love to be a "miner" for a living but I have about as much chance of that as a poor urban black kid has at being a pro basketball player. Investing in a gold mine is about the same odds.

Not really. I have made a profit too on other ventures. It was just a prime example of why "alll assays are just BS". (since someone says that I said that I may as well say that even though I did not say that and it is not what I meant to convey). Here is the deal...Mining is a TOUGH business to make a buck at, especially if you are not manging a big mining company. It is basically a hobby, and most people would do well to forget about getting rich, or even finding something that will give them a steady job. I said it before and I will say it again...

A prospecting has about as much in common with a big mining operation as a deer hunter has in common with the slaughter of the buffalo.

Even if you do find a hot spot, about the time you start dreaming of buying that Cadillac the ore runs out and you go right back to the drawing board. Demobilization is expensive. Reclamation can be a bitch. It just takes all of the fun out of it for me. Prospecting should be fun. If I expect to make a profit I am going to be dissappointed 99% of the time. Even when I do make a profit I have a sore back and a busted knuckle. I went from mining to construction management and made a hell of a lot better money. Same work, more money. It was a GOOD THING. I still mine, but now I ENJOY it.

It all really boils down to reality and what IS and what IS NOT gold in your pocket. I am happy to make my living the way that I do and hit the goldfields for fun. I would love to be a "miner" for a living but I have about as much chance of that as a poor urban black kid has at being a pro basketball player. Investing in a gold mine is about the same odds.

Ok I understand that. But I still fail to see why "all assays" are BS. I could see them being meaningless to say the weekend prospector, but wouldnt they be a valuable tool to the big operations? I mean how could a large venture even begin to invest without one? I would think that an honest assay would be needed to atract investors, if for nothing else.