Nugget Shooter Forums

Getting a new GPS and am looking at the bushnell onix200cr . has good topo and ariel options for down load. just need it for long. & lat. plotting and finding claims etc. Has anyone ever used this unit. or should i just look at the Garmin etracs models or the magellen tritons and explorist models. any ideas. thanks guys

Delorme PN-20 or PN-40........ The company that has the best in digital mapping incorporates their maps and satellite imagery, topo quads and other imagery right into the GPS unit

Greetings Bigboy62,

I have a Delorme earthmate PN-20 GPS and think it is great. My first GPS was a Garmin e-tracs and it could not down load the full Arizona State topo maps that I purchased from Delorme. Garmin will only down load their base topo map which isn't very detailed.

Delorme GPS is very user friendly which Garmin isn't. Delorme also has various methods for charging the battery and is very easy to upload and download to and from a computer. One can also purchase a heavy carrying case and a windshield mount which has 3 swivel hinges so it will fit in any car.

I really like my Delorme PN-20.

Check out their website: www.delorme.com

Good luck,

Bob

I definitely recommend the Delorme, I have the PN-40 and won't go back to Garmen or Magellan. The feature I like the most is the ability to use true USGS Topos. Also the satellite images are incredible.

DigDeep

Hi Bigboy62

For a basic get you to known coordinates or viewing present,

or back to camp the lesser priced TomTom about 120.00

will do it. It knows every trail dirt road and BLM road even jeep ones. Put in long and lat it will tell you

how far and when to turn. Good for starters,and cheap. I like the p-40 also.

Regards

Herb

Thanks guys for all the great responces. Its funny i first looked at the delorme pn20 thought it was a real nice unit. I had read some opinions of the unit and some said it wasn't very user friendly. I think the pn20 is the one I'am going to go with. thanks again for all the help and happy beepin

Bigboy62,

I hear you, I too want something basic but with maps, but I also want to be able to import my data into Google Earth, I know Google Earth supports Garmin and a few Magellan devices but has anybody ever sucessfully converted the export data from a Delorme 20 and imported into Google.... I heard I could simply export your data to a .gpx file and open in Google Earth, can anyone verify?

Thanks

Tony Teixeira

I know this is Bigboy62's thread but it was something I was interested in for I too am looking for a lower end GPS, after reading Steve's suggestion on the Delorme GPS's I checked out the PN-20 and found it will suffice my needs, then when Boorx4, DigDeep and Herb said they like the PN-40, I figured Delorme must make decent handhelds so I bought the PN-20..... plus if Steve recommends it, I knew he did his homework.

Now Coyoteslayer, if that Garmin could have wiped my butt I would have gone that route, yep, I would had.

By the way the PN-20 with TOPO maps, street maps, 1 GB SD card and includes $100 worth (400 sq. km) of DeLorme Aerial Data Packets of your U.S. areas of interest can be purchased NEW at Amazon for $149.00

I thought that was a good price so I bought me one.

Thanks for the info.

Tony Teixeira

You are going to like it a bunch. I have never tried to link to Google, but might have to give it a try. I am anxious to hear your personal review.

My own experience with it has been pretty good, not to say another brand would not have been as good. I do know that I got seriously turned around in some pretty overgrown wooded areas (AKA Jungle) while in Brazil and it never failed to return me to Don's Toyota.

One of the best features is how much detailed map data it will hold, due to internal memory plus the 2gb SD card.

Guys do the DeLorme's have a track-back feature?

El Dorado's post seems to say 'yes'.

I have been reading their literature and have missed seeing that feature.

It's probably me.

I have a Garmin Rino...the thing I really like about it

is that if someone you are hunting with has one also,

when you key the built-in radio, your location shows up

on the other persons gps. Very cool in certain situations.

I do like the idea of having maps with greater resolution than

what is available on Garmin (which basically suck), but Garmin's

ease of use and the consistency with which they hold the satellite track

make it hard to beat. It's sad they are so behind the times

with the map detail possibilities.

Flak

• 2 weeks later...

I rec'd a new Garmin eTrex CHx that I had ordered when this thread was originally posted.

The Garmin manual is among the worst manuals I've ever encountered (RTFM, what's the fun in that?). Arriving at how to set it up is not especially intuitive.

On the plus side, Garmin's telephone support is very very good and the two folks I've spoken with were friendly as well as helpful.

First problem was probably caused by me not giving enough time at startup. The result was the location I got was off by two townships. Telephone support led me through getting that set up correctly.

The next problem was the lat/long displayed degrees/mins.mins. (e.g. Lat: 34˚ 44.382'). All my reference maps are in deg/min/sec. Of course, using a calculator I could transcribe to seconds, but I don't want to carry my 3 decades old HP 11C into the field, and a laptop just to access the Locator at Geocommunicator is quite bulky (and what would a Super Magnet do to it). I couldn't figure out from the manual how to change the display, but I could see the setting existed. A second phone call to support took care of that.

Since I'm old-school in that I've used USGS and other maps for over four decades, always getting to where I wanted to go and never getting lost, I've now wondered if I really needed to buy a GPS with a map feature. I really wanted the GPS for the coordinates to help make sure I'm not trespassing/claim jumping.

Now that the Garmin is displaying in deg/min/sec I'm good with it.

I did get a map chip, but I don't know if it was worth the extra $$ since I have the all USGS 7.5's for CA on disc with printouts for the places I'm going along with a map compatible compass and the know how to read them. In the field I should need to carry only one or two of the map printouts at a time on any given day.

If I had it to do over I'd probably get something less expensive and without mapping (I've got maps), altimeter (elevations are on USGS Topo maps), electronic compass (I've had a map friendly model for decades), tracking (being literate I use pen and paper quite well) and all the other bells and whistles that now in retrospect seem completely unnecessary to me. I haven't figured out how to get the Garmin clock to display. But I haven't worn a watch since the early 70's, so I don't really care. The two hands are on the tummy, it's time to eat. The two hands are under the head, it's time to sleep. Rhetorically, why is a clock needed in the woods/desert when you have no appointments to keep or meetings to attend?

Hi Keith,

I still have my 11-C. You know, F "eex", G "eex". I grew up on HP language and even though I sold my HP-41 a long time ago, I still think in HP. Many years ago was a land surveyor, so I'd like not just the topo maps but, also a feature where I could key-in Coords that I have scaled/calculated for field use. I have the basic Garmin Etrex. None of the Etrex models have such a feature. Still have my bob, sight-through compass, and clicker.

Ben

Hi Keith,

I still have my 11-C. You know, F "eex", G "eex". I grew up on HP language and even though I sold my HP-41 a long time ago, I still think in HP. Many years ago was a land surveyor, so I'd like not just the topo maps but, also a feature where I could key-in Coords that I have scaled/calculated for field use. I have the basic Garmin Etrex. None of the Etrex models have such a feature. Still have my bob, sight-through compass, and clicker.

Ben

Ben, I think I got mine around '73. Interest in math, though I'm not a mathematician, just a hobbyist. Wrote my first program (as it were) so I could crunch the numbers. That opened my mind mathematically, eventually extended to computing. I love the reverse Polish notation and have great difficulty with the standard calculators. If I weren't heading on a long adventure I'd suggest getting together and shooting nuggets and the breeze, as I'm currently close by in Cornville. But I'm leaving here Fri to stay with friends in Jerome till my SD2200 arrives (on back order) and then I'm off to CA and some decent trout fishing and a new life prospecting. Since I've long been living the dream (including the nightmares), this will be another dream to fulfill. I am hopeful the dream will be golden, like it was when the trout were golden, but I'll be happy with brownies and 'bows this time and with a little luck added to my knowledge (including that yet to be gained) the nuggets will be golden. I've heard the brain of a nugget is way smaller than that of a trout, though nuggets are reputed to be more elusive.

I've got the Magellan SporTrak Topo...had it since '05 and used the hell out of it. It was my first GPS unit, the one I learned with and it served me well. However, after reading some of the posts on this thread, I can see advantages in some of the other models...maybe I'll upgrade. I'm not in a big hurry though.

May your GPS's lead you to piles and piles of gold!

Jason AKA Pocketman

GorpStew

I have a Garman 650 nuvi. Does anyone know if I can get it to work with grid coordinants. To my knowledge it only has street maps now. Maybe a download?

Marvin