Nugget Shooter Forums

Great and versatile machine. I have been using one for about a month. I have used it coin detecting and found stuff that no VLF could find. Also used it for relics. Same story, old sites that have been hammered by a the VLF machines come back to life with the TDI. I haven't got it out into the gold fields yet, but based on the lead that I find relic hunting, it should do just fine. I have heard that the TDI is comparable to a Minelab 2100, yet in many ways it gives me more control than my GP 4000.

I own a TDI but due to some physical limitations the first trip out I let my partner Joe use it for about 2 hrs. yep he found a nugget. I know that it works I have found a whole bunch of led with it. It ground balances extreamly well in some very mineralized ground, It just ignores those pesky hot rocks that drove my GB2 wild. It's not a GP4500 but thus far I am very pleased with it.

Hi Roland,

I have only hunted for a very limited time in AZ with the TDI, but it worked great during the time I used it there. Actually, I spent more time hunting the trashiest parts of Octave, the ghost town near Rich Hill than I did nugget hunting and that was because I was trying out a few ideas that needed to be tested in areas having a lot of junk. I did find one 1900 dime but that was about all that trip. The beauty of finding the dime was I dug almost no trash and could ignore, yes, ignore most iron junk. It is a little strange going over something like an old bottle cap and not getting any signal at all. Bigger objects such as full tin cans do require you raise the coil before they are ignored. If the coil is too close, you will get a loud overload signal.

I wanted to check out the single tone feature in a really trashy area and the ghost town of Octave is a perfect place to do that. BTW, the Rich Hill gold is pure enough that any nugget approaching a 1/4 oz or larger will cause a good signal just like a silver or copper coin when in the high conductor mode. The same holds true for $5 gold coins or larger. So, even though I was testing the TDI at Octave, I was looking for larger nuggets known to be found at the old town site without having to rake the area free of iron junk.

Now, I have found some nice gold with the forerunner of the TDI, the GS 5, but it was a large ugly gold ring that weighed in at about 1 1/2 oz. Actually, I also found a couple of nuggets with this unit also but they were small compared to the ring. The TDI was based upon the GS 5 design which was designed by Eric Foster. Eric worked closely with Whites on the final design of the TDI. The feature I had just installed on the GS 5, the single tone feature was ultimately added to the TDI. This feature really makes coin hunting fun, once a person fully understands just what is needed in terms of adjustments for the best results. Here is a link to the pic of the ring and coins found that hours hunt with the modified GS 5.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?34,702970,706325#msg-706325

On a different note, you might want to check out the TDI tech forum for more info on this detector. Here is a link to that forum.

http://tdi.invisionplus.net/index.php?mfor...amp;showforum=3

Unfortunately, this forum is down quite frequently, so if it doesn't come up right away, don't be afraid of checking back later. It is well worth it because there is a lot of info from general to technical on the TDI on this forum.

Getting back to coin and relic hunting, like Dan, I have gone back over hammered areas and found a lot of old coins left behind by the VLF's. My favorite park normally yields an Indian head or two as well as at least one silver coin in about an hour of hunting. Normally, I am lucky to find a similar amount with a VLF only after hunting for a few days.

Right now, the TDI is about the best there is when it comes to having a discrimination feature on a PI. Now, if things go right, this feature will be enhanced shortly if my new idea works out.

Reg

Hi Reg,

Let me first say that I really appreciate the articles and posts you have spent the time writing. Your technical expertise is very valuable and helpful.

Regarding the discrimination of the TDI, could you please help me understand it a little better? I have an Infinium, not a TDI, but am wondering if I should switch. So what I would like to know is - exactly what is happening, technically, such that iron is being ignored and silver can be heard?

I read in another article that by turning up the Infinium's discrimination knob (pulse delay?) it seems to compress the range of the heard targets higher on the conductivity scale. It also seems to move the high-low/low-high tone break as well. So that by turning up the discrimination knob you can actually have higher conductors like copper and silver give off a high-low tone (normally they are low-high) but steel remains at the top end as a low-high. If you could silence the low-high tones, as on a TDI, this would seem (SEEM) to be doing a similar function.

My understanding is that the discrimination feature on the TDI that you were describing is done with the ground balance control, yet functionally they seem similar. Could you please help me understand these differences?

signed: a bit dazed and confused

Many thanks for the comments on the TDI! Just a weekend detector warrior so the Minelabs are too much of an investment. Haven't thought of trying out nugget shooting again since I just about wrapped my Fisher GoldStrike around a tree in frustration. I'll look in on the TDI tec website and give this detector a closer look!!

Hi Goldchaser,

I have not used the Infinium so I really can't comment with any accurate information on whether the techniques between the TDI and the Infinium are basically the same. If I had to guess, I would guess they work on very similar principles.

Now, as for the TDI and how it works, I can't divulge the exact concept but will give a general idea that I have described before. This concept is, metal objects and some non metallic objects are detectable on a PI. To be able to be detected, they have to cause a signal that lasts for a finite length of time. This signal length is commonly referred to as the time constant of the object in question. This time constant determines just how long the signal remains and how long it takes to decay.

Now, one target that falls in this catagory is the ground signal. To eliminate this ground signal on a ground balancing detector, different samples are taken and a form of subtraction occurs. If the secondary samples equal the main sample but in opposite value, the net result is no signal. Thus the ground signal is eliminated.

Because there is always this subtraction taking place, then the secondary samples will be subtracted from the main signal even when the object is something metal, such as a silver coin or maybe a small nugget. The difference between the signals of these two objects is related to their time constants (TC) and how their TC's relate to the ground signal. If the TC of the object is shorter than that of the ground signal, the signal will be one polarity and if the TC is longer than that of the ground, the signal will be another polarity. So, we create a low tone or a high tone at the point of proper ground balance.

Now, because the signal goes through a special high pass filter, the single tone becomes a dual tone, meaning a low tone becomes a low/high tone and a high tone becomes a high/low tone. Thus the wee/woo or woo/wee signal is created. If this secondary half of this dual tone is then eliminated, then what is left is the single high or low tone again. Now, whether it is a low tone or a high tone will be determined by whether the TC is longer or shorter than the TC of the ground. Actually, it is really determined by the GB setting and will change with respect to the signal that is used to cancel the ground. So, in simple terms, the determination will be set by the adjustment of the ground balance (GB) control. Thus, as the GB control is adjusted, what changes tones will also change. This tone change is even true for the ground itself. If the GB control is advanced too far, then the ground signal will become a negative going signal as the coil is lowered but will be a positive going signal if the GB is not far enough. So, if the GB control range is wide enough, one can change about any low tone object to a high tone object and visa versa. Keep in mind there are limitations, so not everything will change tones.

Now, if a person can eliminate the non desired tone and be left with a single tone feature, then one can simply ignore the objects creating the opposite tone. As it turns out, this tone change for nails and most thicker iron occurs at around 4 to 5 on the TDI GB control while the signal from most copper and silver doesn't change regardless of the GB setting. Actually, the older Indian head pennies will change tone, so one does have to be careful to not turn the GB back too far. So, by adjusting the GB control to the 4 to 5 setting, nails create a high tone and copper and silver objects create a low tone. Eliminate the high tone and nail signals simply disappear.

On the bright side, thin metal such as bottle caps or pieces of tin cans almost always create a high tone, thus they will be ignored also when hunting for silver or copper. Only the really large pieces that overload the signals will be heard and these can be easily determined by raising the coil and testing again.

Thus, one can hunt in very trashy areas and dig almost no junk. In a park, it is even better because there isn't nearly as much ferrous junk but is littered with foil and other small non ferrous objects. Fortunately, most of this junk also creates a high tone, so it is eliminated also.

Finally, if a person only wants to dig older coins, one simply ignores the very strong signals and focuses on the deeper mellow tones. Using this technique allows one to cherry pick an area and dig the older coins but leave the new ones and junk behind. This makes it much easier to find the older coins and not spend time on the newer ones or on junk.

As for larger nuggets, they can also develop a signal similar to the copper and silver, so one can hunt in extremely trashy areas and pick out the larger nuggets. The down side is gold can vary as to when it changes tones. As an example, nuggets less than 1/4 oz will change tones and act like silver and gold objects from one location, but may not change tones at all when the gold comes from a different site. In this case, one really needs to know more about the gold in the area before using the single tone technique. What I have found is all the nuggets I have found around Rich Hill change tones quickly (at a little less than 1/4 oz), so one can hunt for larger nuggets in the trashy areas right along with the coins.

Lets say the gold doesn't change tone at all and remains a high tone, then one can use the high tone only feature and eliminate most iron objects by adjusting the GB such that the ferrous junk such as nails creates a low tone. If this is done, then nails, nuts bolts, and other thicker ferrous junk will not make a sound or will stutter. What will be left will be the gold, lead, foil, and some of the much thinner ferrous junk such as pieces of tin cans. It is this tin can problem that is tough to eliminate completely. There are tricks to minimize the digging of that type of junk but it does take a little practice.

One final note, there is no other detector except the GS 5C that has this unique single tone feature or uses the exact same technique to ignore or discriminate ferrous junk. One can use a mono coil on the TDI when eliminating junk signals. Now, one thing to keep in mind, I have found it is somewhat easier to determine tone changes of signals when coin hunting when using a round coil. I have used the elliptical also, but the round coil seems to work a little better. A lot depends upon sweep speed also.

Reg

:icon_mrgreen: Reg, another THANKS for your info and opinions.

I've been extremely interested in the TDI since before it hit the streets.

Always looking for posts on the new machine and peoples thoughts on it.

Hi Goldchaser,

Whether the TDI is incredible or not is really a matter of interpretation and knowing what to expect from a typical PI. When that comparison is made between a typical PI and the TDI, then the TDI is a giant step forward in terms of reliable discrimination. On the other hand, comparing the disc features of the TDI to a good discriminating VLF and it appears to be a step backwards. So, just how it will be perceived will be more of just who buys it and why. Many people are expecting more than what is available, while others don't believe what it really can do.

A perfect example is I really like the single tone feature and know what it can do. However, a guy with a total of a couple of weeks of ownership, a few days of testing in their test garden jumps on the bandwagon and lets the world know one shouldn't use the single tone feature. He also determines that the TDI was introduced well before it was ready since it didn't discriminate like he felt it should and because it was noisy. Lets get serious, has anyone used a PI that wasn't noisy, especially when tried in town? The truth is, PI's love noise and love to amplify it. Dump a PI into the hands of the unknowing and dumb things happen or are said.

Then there is the learning curve involved and knowing just how each control interacts and how it can affect the ultimate depth of an object. As an example, the TDI has a delay control that allows for adjusting just when the samples are taken. If this control is adjusted, then the ground balance (GB) interaction with tones will also change.

Lets say the nails are ignored at a GB of 5 and the delay set at 10 usec. Now, if the delay is adjusted out to 17 usec, the nail rejection may not occur until the GB is reduced to 3 or less. In other words, there is an interaction between the two controls and just when the tone will change on different objects. Oh, yeah, adjust the delay out to 17 usec and small gold disappears and all other gold becomes a weaker signal.

One other obvious feature that people do not think of is if an object can change tones, then there must be some point at which there is no tone. You can't go from a positive tone to a negative tone without going through 0. This is basically what happens when one ground balances the detector. The ground signal is adjusted to the point between the high tone and the low tone. Now, do the same for another object and guess what? At the point of being ignored or very close to it, an object will have very poor depth of detection. So, it is possible for one to adjust the TDI for lousy depth and not know it or know why poor depth happens.

Just to keep it honest, this happens on other ground balancing PI's also. I found this out many years ago when I was testing nuggets on a SD2100. One particular nugget weighing almost 1/4 of an oz almost disappeared and could only be detected out to a depth of maybe 4" to 5". At the time, I wasn't sure what was happening. Also, I had a cheap PI that could detect the same nugget out maybe 10" or so. The difference was the subtraction process. Now, compound this by the fact that the GB can change and guess what? One may notice a difference between depth of detection of a particular nugget just by changing coils. Turn the detector off, change coils and re-ground balance and bingo, one gets a much better depth on the same nugget. WOW, great coil, right? Maybe not. Maybe it was simply a matter of adjustment. In reality, this happens more than people realize.

Now, the TDI has controls not found on many other PI's. One of which is the delay, which adjusts just when the sample is taken. Tweak this control a little with the right coil and the coil may seem hyper sensitive. This normally doesn't happen with the standard factory coils, but may occur with a much larger coil.

The point I am trying to clarify is; even though the TDI is quite simple to operate, it can be much more complex than one realizes. Strange things can happen that are normal but until a person is familiar, they will not seem that way. Then of course, when something strange happens, panic sets in. This will usually be compounded by someone offering advice that doesn't have a clue as to what is really going on, so it only gets worse.

Fortunately, this type of condition normally subsides after a length of time and one becomes more familiar with the detector. Unfortunately, it does take more than a few days or even a few weeks to fully learn the detector. In the mean time, something will happen they can't explain and, as I said, panic sets in. So, with little or no knowledge, some people panic and sell of the TDI before they actually know what it can do or why it appears to have poor depth on a particular test. What's worse is the stupidity factor out there with people making dumb statements that have never used the detector or worse, never used the detector correctly.

I think that Whites really would prefer all dealers be trained and not sell the TDI without some basic training as to what to expect and how to adjust the detector. This would be the ideal setup.

The bottom line is, the TDI has features not found on other PI's and can be used in locations where another PI would drive a person nuts because of noise, trash, or combination of both. This is not a giant killer when it comes to depth of detection but it isn't a slouch either.

Reg

Hi All,

I spend time coin hunting with the TDI when I can't get to the gold field, so that is what I did today. Now, anyone who has used a typical PI knows it will sound off on almost any metal, so when you take a PI to an old park, you can expect it to sound more like a machine gun than a detector. The constant chatter can get quite frustrating.

Well, the is even true with the TDI when in the normal mode. However, switch to the high conductor mode, turn the ground balance back to somewhere between 4 and 5, and things get quiet real fast. Yes, there will be short stuttering sounds on an intermittent basis, but real typical target sounds are far less common. What few sounds one gets are usually strong signals that indicate surface or near surface coins.

Since I am not looking for those type of coins, I simply verify they are surface coins by tilting the coil such that I used the outer edge and see if I get a signal from the object. If I do, then I simply pass them up since this indicates the coin is only maybe 3 inches deep at the most.

So, how well does this unit work like this? My trip late yesterday is really quite typical and lasted about an hour. I ended up with a half dozen wheatback pennies on one lone silver mercury dime. How much junk did I dig to get these targets? Well, to be honest, I did dig 2 longer pieces of wire, one really rusted nail, and one aluminum bottle cap. Actually, only the bottle cap and one piece of wire really sounded like good targets, but the other junk did give somewhat iffy good type signals. A similar response can happen when a good target is buried with a piece of trash, so that is why I do check some of these out.

Keep in mind that if I had left the ground balance at the normal setting of about 9, nails and some other ferrous junk could sound much like coins. However, reducing the GB setting to somewhere between 4 and 5 eliminates most of those signals completely. Once in a while one will sound off, but not often. The reduction of the GB to the lower number transforms the nail type signals to high tones, which are then, ignored completely in most cases.

Now, yesterday was a quick run to the park, not so much to simply park hunt, but to try my addition of a probe powered by the TDI that I can switch to when I want to pinpoint the object. One problem with using a PI is it can be difficult to pinpoint precisely. At least, it can be for me, so the idea of using a probe seemed logical.

The probe I ended up using was one I got with my GS 5. I do have one made by Coiltek, but preferred the one that came with my other PI. The reason is this probe has a coiled cord. So, using it is much easier than unwrapping the stiffer straight wire on the coiltek unit. I did use the coiltek switch box so I could quickly switch between coils.

The testing of the probe was a total success meaning it made pinpointing objects quite easy. In fact, it was actually fun since it cut my search time to almost nothing. All I have to do is simply flip a switch and the PI now has a 1" diameter coil that has a depth capability of about 4" or so on a typical dime size target. This depth capability plus the fact it is not ground sensitive makes this type probe quite convenient. Since it doesn't add much weight, I really didn't notice any more fatigue than normal, but I only hunted about an hour.

Now, I will do more testing in this park with the probe but do hope to try a few other things also. Last year when I first installed the single tone feature on my GS 5, I ended up finding a nice large gold ring that weighed in at over 44 grams. Who knows, maybe another will show up, or better yet, a nice gold coin. Yes, in this high tone mode, any $5 or larger gold coin will also sound off as a good signal. BTW, my installation of the single tone feature was the first time such a feature had ever been tried and that experiment led to the single tone mode now found on the TDI.

Reg

• 2 weeks later...

FIRST>>>I DONOT CLAIM ANY SUPERIOR or even average KNOWLEDGE OF THE TDI!!!

A friend bought this one and wanted my opinion because he didn't think it is working correctly...So I have it and gave it a try on my red brick patio near several power lines...following the directions as best I could I Gb'd the TDI...doing so I became clear on the Quiet Zone concept...worked well and was simple enough, if i did things right.

I laid out a variety of coins including a piece of silver...nickels low, all other coins hi conductors just like they said. I laid out my small collection of nuggets, species and one ironstone/quartz/gold specie from Oz...they all came through as low conductors with the signal in proportion to their sizes. Next was the real surprise to me...I laid out an assortment of gold-basin and franconia meteorites and got signals on every one...I thought sure it would ignore any small to medium meteorites...

Today I went to a park where I could dig freely...I was very close to power lines and a transformer but it tuned very well...I searched in ALL then checked each signal before I dug...every hi conductor was a dime, quarter or zinc, except two very old rusty bolts and apiece of cast iron. Then i searched in low and only dug pull tabs and nickels, then I searched in Hi and only dug the other coins, three bits of iron and a deep pepsi can...

All-in-all, I had very pleasant outing and will be trying it at the beach soon.

I din't have REG"S method in writing so I look forward to learning how to use it...Reg is and always has been a wealth of information! thank you Reg!!!

Fred

Hi Fred,

Even though the TDI is a relatively easy detector to use, it does take a while to fully appreciate all it can do and to master the use of the single tone feature.

It is this single tone feature that adds a unique dimension to this detector. This unique feature allows one to refine just what they are trying to find. To add more, it also allows this PI to be used for coin hunting and in doing so, has exceptional depth, plus the ability to ignore most trash once a person fully realizes how to adjust the detector.

You mentioned taking the detector to the park and hunting in the all mode. This can be extremely difficult to do in real old parks because of the layers of trash that may be present. Over the years, there has been an accumulation of everything in the form of trash from bottle caps, foil, pull tabs, nails, wire, etc, etc. Mix this junk in with the coins and it becomes almost impossible to hunt with anything but a discriminating detector.

Now, with the TDI, one can adjust the delay a little to ignore the foil, adjust the ground balance to ignore nails, wire, and most other ferrous junk when in the high conductor mode. Also in the high conductor mode, pull tabs, the tabs of the newer pop cans, and many of the screwcaps are simply ignored. What is left are the items made of silver, copper, large gold or large aluminum. Some large lead alloys may come through if they are large enough.

In a park, the above is pretty well limited to coins as the good object that will be found. Once in a while a piece of wire or a very rusty nail will trick the detector, but this is a seldom situation. To further refine my searches, I don't dig the real strong signals and as a result, seldom dig new coins. Instead I end up digging fewer objects but most of them are older pennies, or one of the silver coins with dimes being the most common. As a good example, my last outing where I hunted an old park for an hour, the park produced an 1892 dime and an 1886 penny plus several wheat back pennies. I did dig a couple of trash items, but not much else. So, I really didn't dig much, but what I did find was sort of fun.

Now, serious gold hunters will say, so what, I want to find gold. Well, using the same exact settings I hunted the Ghost town of Octave for both coins and gold. When I say I hunted the ghost town, I mean right in the middle of the trashiest part of the town where there is a tin can every couple of feet and tons of nails galore. I ended up with only one old barber dime, but no gold on this last trip. However, if I had stumbled across a nugget close to 1/4 oz or larger, that would have given me a good indication also. This last hunt there was a test to see just how bad it had to get before it became too tough to hunt. Fortunately, that didn't happen. Logically, it would be more practical to remove much of the junk to improve my ability to find stuff, but it isn't impossible.

Now, I could have switched to low conductor mode, tweaked the ground balance and ignore nails, most wire, most large cans and other thicker iron junk and then detect the smaller gold. I would get signals off smaller pieces of tin cans which would be a pain, but not impossible to sort through with experience. Small tin can parts create a wider stronger signal than that from gold, so with a couple of other tricks, very little trash needs to be dug.

Again, learning these tricks do take time but with a little practice are easy to master.

Now, the minimum delay on the TDI allows it to have a good response on the meteorites you mentioned. Also, the unique design of the coil is such that it will enhance weak signals from small objects also. So, the combination works extremely well even for the meteorite hunters. Use the 8" coil and one gains even a little more when hunting meteorites or small gold.

Couple the above mentioned features with the fact the TDI has such a high noise immunity and can be used to hunt places such as right under power lines, and one has a decent versatile detector. The key to fully realizing all the potential of this detector is taking time to experiment and practice. Learning to fully appreciate this detector can't be done in a day, a week or even a month. Unfortunately, many people want instant results and that isn't going to happen. This is what makes recommending this detector to people somewhat difficult to do. Many people simply do not want to take the time to learn the machine. However, once they do, they will realize just how unique and versatile this detector really is.

I have been using the TDI or the GS 5 with the single tone feature for over a year now and I am still learning new tricks that allow me to do things I thought I couldn't do. So, I am not sure just when a person really has fully learned what can be done with it.

Reg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Reg and all;

I went back to my very old park today...I set the TDI at high conductor,pulse at 10, gb at 3, gain at 4-5 and a steady threshold....I didn't dig a single bottle cap of any age, no pulltabs, no pull tab tails no foil...What I did dig was 3 -4 large deep aluminum screw-caps, alarge piece of iron out of curiousity not because it was a solid signal; some wire for the same reason...some copper wire but I was sure they weren't coins...

now for the good stuff...

13 pennies including three wheaties, 10 newer dimes, 4 quarters, one copper man-of-the-year medal and the best thing was a 1902 dime....a weak but clear signal....

that is a fantastic trash to goody ratio in a park full of old/new junk that has been detected over by hundreds for forty years or more...

I only wish my buddy had lent it to me when the weather was cool enough for nugget/meteorite hunting...

You sure know your stuff, REG!!!

fred

Hi Fred,

Sounds like you were having fun with the TDI. The more you learn about the single tone feature, the more interesting the detector becomes. Now, Your experience in the park is quite normal. What is also interesting is you can do the same in super trashy areas such as in a ghost town such as Octave AZ.

Large tin cans or other large iron type metal will sound off with a strong overload signal if the coil is too close, but raise the coil a few inches on such targets and even the large tin cans will suddenly be ignored. In other words, with a little practice and experience one can hunt extremely junky areas and dig only a small amount of trash. On the other hand, high conductors such as silver and copper coins or objects, larger gold, lead and a few other non ferrous objects will give you a nice low tone.

In other words, one can cherry pick some of the good stuff out of some of the worst areas. At Rich Hill, much of the gold larger than about 1/4 oz will give a nice low tone, so the larger gold becomes a low tone target also.

Now, switching to low conductor allows one to reduce the amount of ferrous trash dug while hunting for small gold. Keep the ground balance near normal and most nails are ignored. What will sound off is the smaller pieces of thin metal such as pieces of tin cans. Press the coil to the ground on a suspected target usually will cause a ferrous object to blank out, thus making it easier to recognize. On the down side, some larger gold approaching the 1/4 oz may do the same, but most real small stuff will not generate that much signal.

Also, small tin can type junk gives a much stronger and wider signal so reducing the gain to 4 or so makes it easier to tell the strong abrupt wider can type junk signal from a nice mellow tone for small gold.

Now, one will miss some small gold using this technique as well as dig some ferrous junk, but much if not not most small ferrous trash as well as larger iron junk can be distinguished from the non ferrous signals associated with small gold or lead. It is far better, in my opinion, to be able to hunt trashy areas and miss some small gold than miss it all because it is just too trashy to hunt at all. At least, that is my opinion.

Again, this low conductor mode is harder to use and does take more time to fully learn. So, one shouldn't expect to be an expert or even fully understand how to use it without some practice. However, once a person gets the experience and knowledge of how to best use the single tone modes, then hunting even the real trashy areas, now ignored by the typical PI user, can be done much easier.

Again, being able to do this effectively does take a little experience and practice to refine the techniques.

Oh yeah, want to ignore most basalt? It is easy. First search the area in the high conductor mode. Basalt will be ignored. Now, switch to low conductor mode, increase the GB to max and again, most basalt will be ignored. What little basalt that is detected can usually be determined by raising the coil a little. Basalt signals will quickly disappear or are very wide mellow signals, while small gold is a much narrower response.

Getting back to hunting parks or areas with less trash, one can leave the GB and the normal 9 setting. One the down side, the ferrous junk such as nails will now sound off. Ok, if such signals are not too common, then one can simply test each one by reducing the GB until the object disappears. Generally, nails fall in a narrow range as to when they change tones. So, one can sort of tell if a junk item is a nail or not.

Ok, why do that? Well, in real old parks, there is the possibility of finding gold coins. In the case of a $5 gold coin, some will change tones at a setting of about 7 or so. So, by reducing the GB a little at a time, one can sort of get an idea of what the object might be. In the case of a $5 gold coin, it is quite possible it will change tones before nails do.

So, with practice, one can even use the GB control as a crude form of disc control and use it to help determine just what is being dug. It certainly isn't perfect, but every little bit helps.

Reg

Yes, Reg; it was very fun to find coins and very little trash...btw, I also dug two gold-plated junk rings which was a surprise...I didn't think they would give a signal.

I was just trying out my 12x24 UFO coil in my front yard...again, to my surprise...the coil worked and picked up all the coins I tried and all but one of my nugget/species...I really wish I could have got this to Gold basin when it was cool...

Hey, Bill Southern...those Sun Ray Headphones are the most comfortable standard headphones I ever had...and there have been a lot of headphones in nearly 30 years...they are most excellent at the beach and in the parks.

Thank you

Fred

Hi Fred,

Are you sure they are junk rings? If they are thin, then they probably are. However, if they are a thick ring and are a high karat gold they may sound off as a good object when hunting coins. Larger gold rings even made of 14K gold can cause a coin type signal if they are big enough.

I know, I found a 44 gram 14k gold ring during one of my earliest tests of the single tone mode when I first added that feature to my GS 5. Before my experimenting, the single tone mode simply didn't exist. All of this happened just before the TDI was introduced last year. I am reasonably certain the fact that I found that large gold ring influenced the decision to add the single tone mode to the TDI. Here is a pic of that ring. BTW, I also found the two silver coins and the Indian Head the same trip. Not bad for less than an hour of experimenting in our old park.

Reg

post-449-1243135292_thumb.jpg

I cleanened them up and examined them with my loop...they seem to be gold-plated silver...one was made in india and the other was thin wire with gold baubles...if they are silver that may be the reason they gave a signal...they wer different signals than the coins...

That ring you found is the biggest and prettiest gold/turquoise I have seen.

Fred