Nugget Shooter Forums

USGS Maps

Hey all, I really like this forum. It has been a great learning guide and resource for me the past few months. Soon I will be learning in the field.

I'm getting a whole heckuvalot of use from the BLM Mining Claims GeoCommunicator site that was linked on this forum. So in appreciation here's a link to a source for USGS Maps which I recently stumbled upon (not here). So I'd like to share that resource here and hope someone finds it as useful as I have: http://libremap.org/data/

Dig it

Keith

Keith

You can also go to www.usgs.gov. At the top of the page click on Maps, Imagery…Click “download digital scans of topo maps” located right of the topo image. Now you can enter the map name under the search or click the “Map Locator”. If you use the map locator you can zoom to where you want and follow the instructions to download a pdf file of any topo map you want. My maps get so trashed that it is great to be able to print new ones whenever you need. There is a lot of other good stuff on the USGS web site if you look around.

Thanks Haderly, it's good to have options like that.

Unfortunately I can see having both sets of maps. Unfortunate, that is, because of the download time to get a whole state like CA. On the up side, once downloaded they can be burned to disc and will be laptop accessible even without an active web connection out in the middle of nowhere. And there is nothing like developing one's own 'navigator' database to keep things organized.

Man, I gotta get away from this cycloptic hypnosis!

Cold nights and clear skies.

Dig it,

Keith