Nugget Shooter Forums

Glorieta hunt

I am planning a trip to Glorieta next month and need help . Everyone that I have contacted has tried to discourage me. I am going and anyone who has any positive input, please let me know. Give me a starting point. Thanks in advance. Silver Dog

Guest bedrock bob
I am planning a trip to Glorieta next month and need help . Everyone that I have contacted has tried to discourage me. I am going and anyone who has any positive input, please let me know. Give me a starting point. Thanks in advance. Silver Dog

My best advice is to start in the strewn field where you have permission to hunt. Otherwise you will get run off quick. As far as I know no meteorites have ever been found in NF land. If they have been there has not been many, and there are a HORDE of hunters crawling all over the place every day. There is only one place to park and it is FULL daily, so if you plan on a NF hunt get there before daylight so you can find parking.

I have knocked on almost every door. Permission is next to IMPOSSIBLE to get unless you have an "inside" lead. One fellow has ALMOST exclusive permission on most of the vacant (non residential)land and is on the warpath with out of town hunters. Dont take chances or you will end up getting run off or worse. He is there every day, and the place is not very big. There is a cop that lives smack in the middle of the strewn field and he and his neighbors have a pact. Even if you DO HAVE PERMISSION and he sees you he will chase you off. You cant even find a place to park your car without someone checking you out.

I wish I had better news for you man. I rarely ever hunt there and it is just 20 miles away. Unless you know exactly where you are going and have rock solid permission it will be a waste of time. For every hour I spend hunting Glorieta I waste 10 looking for a way to do it and not get caught. If you know exactly where to put your coil and you are willing to take the chance you MIGHT get lucky. I rarely waste my time with the BS in Glorieta. It seems that there are so many places to go that you can be so much more successful and do it on the up and up.

Bedrock Bob

Guest bedrock bob
Thanks Bob. I will buy you a beer when we get there. We may spend the week drinking beer and talking about the big one that we might have found. Doug

I will certainly hunt the NF with you if nothing else. With enough beers at 8000 feet altitude we will think we hit the big one when we get over the railroad tracks.

I do have permission in one yard. Complete with barking dogs and 12 little screaming brown eyed kids. There are no meteorites there but it is springtime and we can help clear the garden of trash.

Like I told you before...Bring a fishing pole! Those big German Browns are hitting in the river and I know a spot where we can sit in the boat and haul the rainbows in as fast as you can cast. Maybe a meteorite will fall on us while we are fishing.

Bob

I will certainly hunt the NF with you if nothing else. With enough beers at 8000 feet altitude we will think we hit the big one when we get over the railroad tracks.

I do have permission in one yard. Complete with barking dogs and 12 little screaming brown eyed kids. There are no meteorites there but it is springtime and we can help clear the garden of trash.

Like I told you before...Bring a fishing pole! Those big German Browns are hitting in the river and I know a spot where we can sit in the boat and haul the rainbows in as fast as you can cast. Maybe a meteorite will fall on us while we are fishing.

Bob

Sounds like a great way to spend some time . If you and Dean want to meet us at Holbrook on Sunday the 17th. We can spend the day there. Doug

Guest bedrock bob
Sounds like a great way to spend some time . If you and Dean want to meet us at Holbrook on Sunday the 17th. We can spend the day there. Doug

Hey, you may have something there... I am calling turkey for the next two weeks and when I am done I will be ready to out again with Dean...We do have some plans in the Holbrook vicinity that we need to investigate, so it may be just the ticket. There is just one fat boy with an attack goat in Holbrook to deal with, and I have his ticket right here in my left pocket...

As a side note I found a nice 2.5 DWT this weekend, along with a little picker. If you are coming up from the south (I-70 east and I-25 north) I can put you on a nugget in an hour. I know you are a detector man but we could also hunt a dry lake if you are interested. The sky is the limit anywhere in New Mexico EXCEPT Glorieta. There has just been too darn much publicity there and the spot is spoiled unless you are willing to take a big chance on absolutely hammered ground.

Hey, you may have something there... I am calling turkey for the next two weeks and when I am done I will be ready to out again with Dean...We do have some plans in the Holbrook vicinity that we need to investigate, so it may be just the ticket. There is just one fat boy with an attack goat in Holbrook to deal with, and I have his ticket right here in my left pocket...

As a side note I found a nice 2.5 DWT this weekend, along with a little picker. If you are coming up from the south (I-70 east and I-25 north) I can put you on a nugget in an hour. I know you are a detector man but we could also hunt a dry lake if you are interested. The sky is the limit anywhere in New Mexico EXCEPT Glorieta. There has just been too darn much publicity there and the spot is spoiled unless you are willing to take a big chance on absolutely hammered ground.

If we come up by way of Hollbrook, we could go back Rt. 25 and 70 E.. This trip is getting better all the time. Silver Dog

Hello Bob,

I too want to go to Glorieta soon, would you please e-mail off list. I want to send you a map. midwestmeteor@earthlink.net

Thanks,

Tim

My best advice is to start in the strewn field where you have permission to hunt. Otherwise you will get run off quick. As far as I know no meteorites have ever been found in NF land. If they have been there has not been many, and there are a HORDE of hunters crawling all over the place every day. There is only one place to park and it is FULL daily, so if you plan on a NF hunt get there before daylight so you can find parking.

I have knocked on almost every door. Permission is next to IMPOSSIBLE to get unless you have an "inside" lead. One fellow has ALMOST exclusive permission on most of the vacant (non residential)land and is on the warpath with out of town hunters. Dont take chances or you will end up getting run off or worse. He is there every day, and the place is not very big. There is a cop that lives smack in the middle of the strewn field and he and his neighbors have a pact. Even if you DO HAVE PERMISSION and he sees you he will chase you off. You cant even find a place to park your car without someone checking you out.

I wish I had better news for you man. I rarely ever hunt there and it is just 20 miles away. Unless you know exactly where you are going and have rock solid permission it will be a waste of time. For every hour I spend hunting Glorieta I waste 10 looking for a way to do it and not get caught. If you know exactly where to put your coil and you are willing to take the chance you MIGHT get lucky. I rarely waste my time with the BS in Glorieta. It seems that there are so many places to go that you can be so much more successful and do it on the up and up.

Bedrock Bob

post-22143-1240488928_thumb.jpg

post-22143-1240488961_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Bob! What about me?! lol.....I can carry more beer....

Bob

Bob

Bob, we are packing up for a week and will be out of here on Saturday. Hope that you and Dean can make it . We will be in Holbrook early on Sunday. Doug

Hey Bob...if you have a cop abusing his power and position why don't you report him...I hate bullys, especially the ones with badges!!!

sorry, had to get that out...

I hope you guys do have a successful trip catching holbrooks, rainbows, browns, goldens and glorys...if I were there I could help drink the beer....

Fred

Don't see how a cop chasing people off the land he lives on or his neighbors (upon mutual agreement) amounts to abusing his power. Maybe he is an arse, but I don't see any abuse of power from what I'm reading here. Unless Bob's told you something I don't know. Trust me, I don't like the cops that really 'abuse' their power or a holes just because they have a badge.

Hey Bob...if you have a cop abusing his power and position why don't you report him...I hate bullys, especially the ones with badges!!!

sorry, had to get that out...

I hope you guys do have a successful trip catching holbrooks, rainbows, browns, goldens and glorys...if I were there I could help drink the beer....

Fred

Well, if the COP is chasing people off anyone's property but his without being on duty and on call while using his title...that is abuse and he is violating the law...if you don't see or I misunderstood Bob's comment my opinion remains...I hate bullys...

good luck on the hunt!!!

Fred

Fred, We are leaving in about 2 Hrs. We will let everyone know what encounter. Be it Cops, Ranchers, Rattlesnakes, Bears, Mt. Lions, or Caretakers. Hope that we have some good stories to tell, thats what it is all about anyway. Doug