Nugget Shooter Forums

GoldPic 3 Pulse Induction detector, Anyone, Anyone?

Hi,

I recently ordered the goldpic 3 Semi Kit (Goldpic website) but won't receive it for a while. I did find another site where building this kit was discussed with at least one person anxious to receive the kit and start building etc but then the discussion ended (discussion). Anyway, my question is, has anyone here ever successfully built one and used it or know of a link where someone has indendently tested it?

Thanks,

Terry

I liked the "Anyone, Anyone" part. Reminds me of Ben Stein in Fast Times.

Hi,

yes, I know someone who bought two of them. Both didn't work when built (he is no goof when it comes to electronics) as there were part substitutions by the Goldpic designer and he was supplied micro's without any code :Huh_anim]: When this was complained about there was no reply.

However, the design has some merit, provided you have some idea about designing hex code to program it and adding a decent ground balance circuit to it. The supplied code, when you actually get it, is only for coin sized objects and was designed for beach work. The PIC micro controller makes it much more useful as an experimental tool with prospecting in mind. Thanx, Andy

Hi,

yes, I know someone who bought two of them. Both didn't work when built (he is no goof when it comes to electronics) as there were part substitutions by the Goldpic designer and he was supplied micro's without any code :Huh_anim]: When this was complained about there was no reply.

However, the design has some merit, provided you have some idea about designing hex code to program it and adding a decent ground balance circuit to it. The supplied code, when you actually get it, is only for coin sized objects and was designed for beach work. The PIC micro controller makes it much more useful as an experimental tool with prospecting in mind. Thanx, Andy

Andy,

I much appreciate the Goldpic input although I should have been suspicious of possible issues with building this as I could find no reviews online of this PI machine. Other than the Goldpic website the only good link I could find was one in which an excited buyer of the kit was discussing building it and a couple other folks providing sources for the parts. Goldpic parts

That link was from May of 2000 and some of the parts needed seem to now be obsolete. I have found subs that I hope will work but am now wondering if it will work even if I have the correct parts. All I can say is that I'll give it a go. However, I didn't plan for the Goldpic to be a serious detecting machine just something to learn from and play with.

Terry

Hi Terry,

You have taken the right approach to the Goldpic and that is, it is a learning tool. The design is a little unique and doesn't lend itself to modification easily.

I built this kit many years ago and it did work. The design is a little strange, but met the basic concept of a learning tool. One reason I abandoned this kit soon after getting it going was I really didn't want to try to modify the pic software.

There are a few other PI kits out there including one from Magenta that worked ok also. The Magenta kit I am referring to is the Stuart PI, which I also built and later modified by altering the delay and adding a form of autotune. I did modify the pic software on this unit. This was a much more usable kit but still was nothing more than a learning tool.

The best PI kit is the Hammerhead noted on the Geotech forum. Designed by Carl Moreland (now with Whites metal detectors), this kit works quite well and with a few mods is really quite usable. Again, it is not going to compete completely with the typical PI models available, but can be used even for nugget hunting if the DD mod is installed. The weak link I feel is the audio on this unit, with the lack of a ground balance as a second issue.

All of the kits mentioned are just that, kits that are to be taken as learning tools. However, the Hammerhead is the closest that can be modified and used on a more serious basis.

I hope this helps a little.

Reg

Hi Terry,

You have taken the right approach to the Goldpic and that is, it is a learning tool. The design is a little unique and doesn't lend itself to modification easily.

I built this kit many years ago and it did work. The design is a little strange, but met the basic concept of a learning tool. One reason I abandoned this kit soon after getting it going was I really didn't want to try to modify the pic software.

There are a few other PI kits out there including one from Magenta that worked ok also. The Magenta kit I am referring to is the Stuart PI, which I also built and later modified by altering the delay and adding a form of autotune. I did modify the pic software on this unit. This was a much more usable kit but still was nothing more than a learning tool.

The best PI kit is the Hammerhead noted on the Geotech forum. Designed by Carl Moreland (now with Whites metal detectors), this kit works quite well and with a few mods is really quite usable. Again, it is not going to compete completely with the typical PI models available, but can be used even for nugget hunting if the DD mod is installed. The weak link I feel is the audio on this unit, with the lack of a ground balance as a second issue.

All of the kits mentioned are just that, kits that are to be taken as learning tools. However, the Hammerhead is the closest that can be modified and used on a more serious basis.

I hope this helps a little.

Reg

Reg,

Thanks much for responding to my question. This helps a lot. If building the Goldpic works out maybe I'll look at building the hammerhead.

Years ago I repaired guidance systems for aircraft and I think I would enjoy using a soldering iron again.

Terry