Nugget Shooter Forums

Watch out for the Black Foot. I hear they are active this time of year. :innocent0009:

Custer was an idiot and an egotist. He was over matched.

Well, I am going up near Rapid City to do some prospecting.

Wondering if there is anyone familiar with this neck of the woods?

Any help would be appreciated

Kris, many of us are here are somewhat familar with the Black Hills and the gold rush history behind the area, but to be more specific prospecting for gold is not something to be taken lightly once the "gold bug" hits you. I suggest a Google search on the Black Hills first. If your looking for a honey hole, well good luck.....miners tend to keep a tight lip, but more often then none the 'word' does get out there.

I would suggest looking into any mining association in that area as well.

Gary

Custer was an idiot and an egotist. He was over matched.

Sonny, although your response may be prolific to the "jest" offered by others responding prior to your comment.....however it does not belong in the "Gold Nugget Shooting Forum"! It belongs in the "Politics and Other Off Topic Stuff" forum on this site!

Think about it for a minute, you just hi-jacked a question by the original poster and some jest offered by others to inject your point of view about Custer.....that again, was mentioned in Jest!???

Your oppinion / point of view may have some value on this matter.....but it does Not belong on the Gold Forum! I suggest starting a new thread on the other forum with your same "quote" here and see where it goes from there?

Gary

Hey Kris, one more thing since your a "newbe" here, ask away.....there's a lot of people here willing to lend a hand, but the first step is yours in making the effort.

Gary

KrisJacob, welcome to the Forum

As I am a certified greenhorn who has yet to go out in the field I'll suggest that you check out the BLM's Geocommunicator @ http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=MC

And be sure to visit the BLM office for Rapid City and the County land offices (from Geocommunicator that looks like Custer, Pennington and Meade may all be involved).

That's something I have learned from this Forum.

Dig it.

Keith

Sonny, although your response may be prolific to the "jest" offered by others responding prior to your comment.....however it does not belong in the "Gold Nugget Shooting Forum"! It belongs in the "Politics and Other Off Topic Stuff" forum on this site!

Think about it for a minute, you just hi-jacked a question by the original poster and some jest offered by others to inject your point of view about Custer.....that again, was mentioned in Jest!???

Your oppinion / point of view may have some value on this matter.....but it does Not belong on the Gold Forum! I suggest starting a new thread on the other forum with your same "quote" here and see where it goes from there?

Gary

I originally wrote some thing much worse here. GotGold, you are a wondeful person and everyone should learn from your example. I bow to your prowess on the forum and will certainly check myself, before posting anything. Thank you for pointing out my evil ways.

Whats life, without a little fun now and then, don't take life serious, just play the game, too many things to get you down in life. The reason for the humor on the forums, is to perk it up every now and then. Good luck in you quest for the gold. Grubstake

Kris,

The GPAA has some claims in the Black Hills. The wife and I have found gold on them, however that was 3 or 4 years ago. One of the claims near the north end of Spearfish canyon is usually dry in the summer may be good for dry washing or detecting. Check if dry washing is permitted. We didn't have a dry washer or detector at that time so we were just panning. We spent most of our time on a claim near the town of Rochford (spelling) its on Rapid Creek which runs all the time.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Well, SD is our 'home', and although we are in NM this week, we are headed north this weekend. That said, I can't offer any new claim advice, but from hunting in the area most of my life, I can only offer access advice. Try to stay out of 'state' land, and the private ranchers can be rather thin-skinned. Forest land is hard to find with good access, but good luck, and let me know how you do...I'd like to squeeze in a week's sluicing...

My wife and I are from the Black Hills and we have found it difficult to find places to prospect legally. But, the GPAA has claims in the Northern Black Hills; however, due to snow melt and flooding right now, it might be a bit hard to get to them. We joined the Black Hills Prospectors (http://www.blackhillsprospectingclub.com/) who have a good claim not too far from Rapid City. The water should be flowing pretty good right now with the snow melt, but as of today there won't be much for snow there (check before you come, though, because we've had one blizzard after another in March!) Good luck and best wishes in your hunt! Black Hills Ron