Nugget Shooter Forums

Magnet Questions

Now that I've spent more time at this great forum I've taken some good advice offered earlier and jumped back a couple of years into some of the older threads. I found a (7/21/07) thread by Reno Chris about his web site update and Chris' Prospecting Encyclopedia > http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospect/chris_prospect.htm

Thanks Chris for such a good resource. I've spent a couple days there reading your valuable offerings. I've also read a few of your earlier threads which are quite informative to a gnu-bee like me.

So in Chris' article on Black Sands he discusses the importance of the powerful new rare earth super magnets and their difference to common magnets. And Bill has them in his store, so I'm gonna get one soon when I see Bill about a SD2200 (my limit getting started). But I note that Bill's ad says it "will noticeably distort a computer monitor from over 30” away!" That's a good caution.

Ok, and I've read that PI detectors can pick up interference from outside sources like electric lines, other detectors, belt buckles and jewelry. So my questions to those with field experience is do such magnets cause PI detectors to go skittish and if so, how do you deal with that? Or do you just carry a regular magnet in the field to check for meteorites or whatever and keep the super magnet to the place where you do your black sand separations?

Keith

Keith,

Don't know the answer to your question, but it would seem to me a good standard magnet would be good enough for junk, meteorites etc.

Reno Chris knows his stuff. If you email him you will get your answer.

SteveT

Hi Keith,

We all use super magnets attached to our picks to quickly remove the iron rubbish.

The only time you need to be concerned about sensing any metal (except for your boots) is when using a very large coil i.e. greater than 18"

Just don't get the super magnet close to your credit cards it will wipe the data off the stripe!

A standard magnet just don't suck the trash up like a super will.

Hard drives have a super magnet in them so before you toss a dead one out gut it for the magnets.

The ones Bill sells are perfect buy at least 2. Good luck!!

hope this helps

nvchris

I thought the hard drive idea was pretty good. I hadnt even thought about it and I consider myself to be a MacGuyver.

Yeh, since the earth has a positive field, make sure you put the magnet on your pick pos. side down, that wat, positive to positive, it will make your pick lighter, as they will repell. :laught16: Sounds good on paper. Ha! Ha! Grubstake

Yeh, since the earth has a positive field, make sure you put the magnet on your pick pos. side down, that wat, positive to positive, it will make your pick lighter, as they will repell. :laught16: Sounds good on paper. Ha! Ha! Grubstake

hehehe :laught16:

Sonny,

If you were the bad ass Mcguyver that we all know, you could have fixed your motorhome with nothing more than a swiss army knife and maybe some duct tape!! :laught16:

SteveT

P.S. Watch the Red Green show....There's alot of good tips on there for challenged people! :laught16::laught16:

Peace :innocent0002:

One irritating thing about the super magnets is that it will create noise--sometimes very irritating loud noise--when you swing your pick into rock hard enough to slide the maget even a little on the face of the pick...Magnets in motion create an electrical charge and the detector can pick it up and squeal from even 5 or 6 feet away....Cheers, Unc

Sonny,

If you were the bad ass Mcguyver that we all know, you could have fixed your motorhome with nothing more than a swiss army knife and maybe some duct tape!! :laught16:

SteveT

P.S. Watch the Red Green show....There's alot of good tips on there for challenged people! :laught16::laught16:

Peace :innocent0002:

Tough cookies Boyo, the RV has been running for a couple of months now. I have redone the entire interior since. The entire thing has been redone in duct tape!

Seriously, the RV runs great and we are moving back to Colorado soon.

Sonny,

Somebody has to screw with you!....nobody else does!! :innocent0009:

SteveT

I appreciate that. Perhaps its because I am OH so much smarter eh? :laught16:

About the super mags compared to most regular types....

YOU will find most magnets useless when hunting meteorites as far as a qiuick I.D.

A supermag will suck up a meteorite real fast most regular and even neo's will not even show a little magnetism.

This I have found ture in the field with gold basin and franconia types.

One irritating thing about the super magnets is that it will create noise--sometimes very irritating loud noise--when you swing your pick into rock hard enough to slide the maget even a little on the face of the pick...Magnets in motion create an electrical charge and the detector can pick it up and squeal from even 5 or 6 feet away....Cheers, Unc

Ron, a trick I learned back in the '90s was to use "shoe goo" glue around your magnet. It will keep it in place and it won't slide around. I've hit some small boulders with my pick and the magnet stayed where I put it. It's semi pliable so if you ever want to take your magnet off, you can.

sourdough

Ron, a trick I learned back in the '90s was to use "shoe goo" glue around your magnet
I never used shoe

goo sounds like a good idea, I took my pick down to a local welder and he welded a few pieces to hold the magnet in

place.

Rich

richs, that will work too. But heating up the pick head can (not always) take some of the temper out of it and make it soft. Heat around a magnet can make it loose it's strength. I'm guessing that you just had the welder put some stops of some sort on your pick?

Hi Sourdough

I'm guessing that you just had the welder put some stops of some sort on your pick?
Yep

four of them just slighty larger then the magnet. He just eyeballed the magnet slapped the stops on I was out of there

in 5 - 10 minutes. Best of all no charge.

Rich

That depends! Do you have a positive out look on life? If you do! Then anything is possible :laught16::laught16: Glue some magnets to you shoes, make sure positve side is down, Right now, I'm working on a super conductor, that works at room temp. , problem is he wants airconditioning in the train. And no Kyrtonite

Its called San Francisco Sour dough bread! :laught16: with Navy beans. Did you know that to be in the US Coast Guard< you have to be atleast 6 FT. tall or taller? Yeh that way incase the boat sinks, you can walk to shore! Old Navy friend told me that. Grubstake

• 2 weeks later...
Now that I've spent more time at this great forum I've taken some good advice offered earlier and jumped back a couple of years into some of the older threads. I found a (7/21/07) thread by Reno Chris about his web site update and Chris' Prospecting Encyclopedia > http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospect/chris_prospect.htm

Thanks Chris for such a good resource. I've spent a couple days there reading your valuable offerings. I've also read a few of your earlier threads which are quite informative to a gnu-bee like me.

So in Chris' article on Black Sands he discusses the importance of the powerful new rare earth super magnets and their difference to common magnets. And Bill has them in his store, so I'm gonna get one soon when I see Bill about a SD2200 (my limit getting started). But I note that Bill's ad says it "will noticeably distort a computer monitor from over 30” away!" That's a good caution.

Ok, and I've read that PI detectors can pick up interference from outside sources like electric lines, other detectors, belt buckles and jewelry. So my questions to those with field experience is do such magnets cause PI detectors to go skittish and if so, how do you deal with that? Or do you just carry a regular magnet in the field to check for meteorites or whatever and keep the super magnet to the place where you do your black sand separations?

Keith

IMPORTANCE OF SUPER MAGNETS ON YOUR PICK

YOUR ON THE RIGHT TRACK & THANK GOD FOR BETTER NUGGET HUNTING WEATHER

Last year I bought a Pick with a 30" handle made by Apex Picks. It has '3' super magnets on it's head, quickly clears out any iron particles your coil picks up. Best thing I've done for myself, this pick has saved me many wasted hours of digging trash !!! Can't wait to try it on meteorites.

Also bought a pick holster from Apex that allows me to carry my pick at an "angle' behind me, keeps the longer handle from tripping me and helps hide the metal pick head from my Minelab.

TIP; make sure to have all your gear strapped on before ground balancing & tuning your detector

Can checkout their stuff at www.apexpicks.com if your interested.

Happy hunting !!

Auswinger