Nugget Shooter Forums

Buyer Beware, gold vac

lotsa luck

Here is one of the recent CL adds, in another he is trying to sell them. Anyone thinking of checking this crap out please think hard about it. This is nothing more than a load of crap and there is no possible way a vac powered by a typical cordless drill battery will have enough power to vacuum much more than a few inches of bedrock before needing an hours recharge. It takes a minimum of 21cc's of 2-stroke power to make a decent vac and 40cc's to be a real good one. An 18 volt LI battery just ain't gonna do it bud. :laught16:

Direct link... http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/for/1119167001.html

"Do It Yourself Plans for Vac Pac for gold prospecting - $10 (Glendale)

Reply to: sale-vze64-1119167001@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Date: 2009-04-12, 2:58PM MST

For sale is a detailed set of plans to construct your own cordless electric vacuum for use in gold prospecting. A vacuum is used to suck up dirt from cracks in bedrock where water has flowed. Also used to clean off the top of bedrock after most of the dirt covering it has been shoveled off. These are places where gold may have settled out. You want to suck up dirt in places where it may contain gold and then pan it out. You can pan it out later at home. I do most of my panning at home because it is a pleasant thing to do at home and it gives me more time to suck up dirt when I am out in the field.

There are vac pacs on the market that are powered by 2 cycle leaf blower motors. I have built several of these but I don't like the constant noise of the gas engine. With a gas engine you have to frequently clean the air cleaner and occasionally change the spark plug. Plus you have to buy and store gas and mix oil with the gas. The gas engine powered gas vac's sell for $300 to $350. So I decided to go electric. And here it is. I have done a lot of testing of this battery powered electric vac pac and just wish I had developed it sooner.

Included are 2 pictures, A parts list that gives parts needed, where to find them, and what they cost. The total cost of parts to construct this cordless vacuum is slightly less then $100. Also included are complete fabrication instructions and instructions on how and where to use the vacuum."

Well I have my own plans. Bedrock Bob keeps saying the El Dorado sucks. So I grab El by the ankles and point him at the bedrock. Feed him Exlax and then pan it out. It works great, but it smell horrible...... :laught16::laught16::laught16:

Sorry El, just joshin' ya! :laught16:

Guest bedrock bob
Well I have my own plans. Bedrock Bob keeps saying the El Dorado sucks. So I grab El by the ankles and point him at the bedrock. Feed him Exlax and then pan it out. It works great, but it smell horrible...... :laught16::laught16::laught16:

Sorry El, just joshin' ya! :laught16:

The cavity on the intake end will suck up boulders whole and the other end is so tight it would only pass gold wires. I would leave ol' "Goldmember" in the closet and get a 2 stroke on a bucket.

Bedrock Bob

There is no way you could make an electric vac......even if you developed enough power, it would be short lived at best!!

SteveT

An all electric vac is very doable and some of its properties are favorable except for that portability issue. LOL

Electric motors have almost instant torque and belt driving the impeller by electric would allow for some awesome velocity (suction) and keep the grit out of the motor itself. The small cooling air to the motor would need to be filtered for long life but also not hard to do.

Here is one ultimate dry vac I used a couple of years ago to remove 20' of dirt and rock covering a murder victim. It's a 6" suction hose and worked great down to 30' as fast as we could break the dirt up. Thats my truck that backed it up the steep hill and me in the other pic with the #40 on the helmet. The blower motor is belt driven from an electric motor powered via a nice sized generator. It would stick a boulder to it and allow you to lift it out with the hose.

post-812-1239669356_thumb.jpg

post-812-1239669366_thumb.jpg

Here is one ultimate dry vac I used a couple of years ago to remove 20' of dirt and rock covering a murder victim. It's a 6" suction hose and worked great down to 30' as fast as we could break the dirt up. Thats my truck that backed it up the steep hill and me in the other pic with the #40 on the helmet. The blower motor is belt driven from an electric motor powered via a nice sized generator. It would stick a boulder to it and allow you to lift it out with the hose.

That looks like the vacs that we use for utility potholing. I have heard of people using those to vacuum the corrugated culverts under roads and getting the gold that has been deposited. With a couple of orange vests and hard hats no one would know that it wasn’t a road crew doing maintenance.

• 4 months later...
Bob,

If you could find the right spot, a 4.3 Gm-v6 would work good. I'm thinkin maybe a 700r4. :innocent0002:

SteveT

You fellas have no "vision". Here at Kingman Airport there are a bunch of DHL transport jets just sitting . I'm sure one of those engines would move some real estate . Like they say "Go BIG or go home."

• 3 weeks later...
Here is one of the recent CL adds, in another he is trying to sell them. Anyone thinking of checking this crap out please think hard about it. This is nothing more than a load of crap and there is no possible way a vac powered by a typical cordless drill battery will have enough power to vacuum much more than a few inches of bedrock before needing an hours recharge. It takes a minimum of 21cc's of 2-stroke power to make a decent vac and 40cc's to be a real good one. An 18 volt LI battery just ain't gonna do it bud. :laught16: (snip)

Would probably work fairly well for getting flour gold... provided you put your gold into a bag of flour first. I'm thinkin' maybe 60-70% recovery?