Nugget Shooter Forums

I just bought a whites GMT and will be heading to auburn this weekend to hunt for nuggets. Does anyone have any areas to hunt in the sate rec area? I been panning a few spots in the area and found lots of flakes. the river holds lots of gold. Any infor from the vets would be great. So far i have these tips.

=Slow and steady.

=dig the little noises.

=look in old piles of tailings

=dry washes

= pick thats magnetic

Is hunting hill sides that have eroded a good idea?

How about just hill sides off trail?

Should i stick to dry washes only?

any tips on this would be great also any tips on using the GMT would be awesome.

Also i would like to make some contacts with people who like doing the same things. All my friends think im nuts for always going gold panning. I have a few slucies and pans and the basic equp. I live in nor cal

Is the gold stuck in the hill side? or is it only in the washes?

there is a ton of area where there was a hill slide i was wondering if its worth it to detect in these areas.

also is it a good idea to dectect on hill sides?

Yes.

DigDeep

If I understand right, the auburn state rec area is no detectors in the placer county parts and ok in the el dorado county parts. I was going down the trail or road at maidu and a ranger said to me if I went down to the river with my detector he just might have to confiscate my detector. Needless to say I went back to my car. Then months or years later I asked rangers at lake clemintine if it was ok to detect at the upper end of the lake and they did not know for sure, but said to give it a try and good luck and be sure to fill all dig holes so people don't trip. I was there only about an hour and a half and found the usual river trash, sinkers, buckshot, bottle caps, nails, and foil and cleaned up some broken glass while at it. Bits of foil and flattened lead really sound like gold too. Also river gravel has alot of different mineralisation and darn near drives me nuts with my Whites GM3, a couple models older than your GMT. Our detectors work great at hydraulic pits where the ground balance doesn't change as much as river gravels. Hope this info helps a little, of course things may be different now at the park.

:icon_mrgreen: Call the headquarters this doesn't sound right at all!! Dredged with up to 12" in the olde dayz(now 4") and have dozens a friends who detect there regularly?? Sounds like a butthole cop or new bloody darn rules to me-PLEASE POST ANSWER IFN' YA CALL'M-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

If I understand right, the auburn state rec area is no detectors in the placer county parts and ok in the el dorado county parts. I was going down the trail or road at maidu and a ranger said to me if I went down to the river with my detector he just might have to confiscate my detector. Needless to say I went back to my car. Then months or years later I asked rangers at lake clemintine if it was ok to detect at the upper end of the lake and they did not know for sure, but said to give it a try and good luck and be sure to fill all dig holes so people don't trip. I was there only about an hour and a half and found the usual river trash, sinkers, buckshot, bottle caps, nails, and foil and cleaned up some broken glass while at it. Bits of foil and flattened lead really sound like gold too. Also river gravel has alot of different mineralisation and darn near drives me nuts with my Whites GM3, a couple models older than your GMT. Our detectors work great at hydraulic pits where the ground balance doesn't change as much as river gravels. Hope this info helps a little, of course things may be different now at the park.

So you didnt find anything at the upper lake? how about in the hills around the upper lake i was thinking of doing some off trail detecting.

:icon_mrgreen: Call the headquarters this doesn't sound right at all!! Dredged with up to 12" in the olde dayz(now 4") and have dozens a friends who detect there regularly?? Sounds like a butthole cop or new bloody darn rules to me-PLEASE POST ANSWER IFN' YA CALL'M-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

how does your friends do. Its a hughe area i just want to make sure im not hunting in a area where i wont find anything.

Tt

how does your friends do. Its a hughe area i just want to make sure im not hunting in a area where i wont find anything.

Also can someone tell me the locations of common dredge holes and tail piles neat auburn

We all detect in areas that we do not find anything. No one is going to point to the ground and say there is a nugget under that rock. That is why it is hunting. We all have to pay our dues, the skunk can be anywhere! Guess what I am trying to say is, even of old sourdough says I found gold up Easy Nugget ravine, does not mean you will find any gold there. Go for the fun of it, that way you will not be disappointed.

It is an area with gold and gold is where YOU find it

We all detect in areas that we do not find anything. No one is going to point to the ground and say there is a nugget under that rock. That is why it is hunting. We all have to pay our dues, the skunk can be anywhere! Guess what I am trying to say is, even of old sourdough says I found gold up Easy Nugget ravine, does not mean you will find any gold there. Go for the fun of it, that way you will not be disappointed.

It is an area with gold and gold is where YOU find it

I know. I don't want anyone areas. Just want t make sure I'm in a spot with gold

I went through Auburn on a road trip to Oregon, since that rec. area is huge and I was only going to have a very limited time to pan, I stopped in and talked to somebody in the prospecting shop in town. I asked him the same question (except not nugget shooting) and he told me so much of that area has been worked hard and I would probably have better luck up at Bear River. We got up there just a little before sunset and only had time for a couple pans, My daughter panned her first gold there, just a few flakes... but there was a few other people panning and sluicing up there too. It was a really cool small river with about 40% of the river rock being quartz. I cant give you directions, but here is some gps coordinates to the parking lot if you are interested... N39 04 45.0 W120 59 40.7 only about 10 miles on up 80 towards Tahoe. If I lived close by though I would have to try the rec area too as well as all the way down highway 49... saw lots of places I wanted to stop and run a few pans...

I just bought a whites GMT and will be heading to auburn this weekend to hunt for nuggets. Does anyone have any areas to hunt in the sate rec area? I been panning a few spots in the area and found lots of flakes. the river holds lots of gold. Any infor from the vets would be great. So far i have these tips.

=Slow and steady.

=dig the little noises.

=look in old piles of tailings

=dry washes

= pick thats magnetic

Is hunting hill sides that have eroded a good idea?

How about just hill sides off trail?

Should i stick to dry washes only?

any tips on this would be great also any tips on using the GMT would be awesome.

Also i would like to make some contacts with people who like doing the same things. All my friends think im nuts for always going gold panning. I have a few slucies and pans and the basic equp. I live in nor cal

i want to find some old tailing piles near auburn. I seen a few of them around but in very public places. im sure they been worked.

i want to find some old tailing piles near auburn. I seen a few of them around but in very public places. im sure they been worked.

Does anyone know of tailings around auburn.

Benz...

Here's a thougt on the tailing piles. If you can still tell they are piles they haven't been all worked out. Until they are raked flat there is always that possibility of a missed nugget.

Happy Hunting

Mike F

Benz

We just had an Auburn State Rec officer come to one of our gold club meetings and he told us that there are areas that are off limits to detectors and the area you were headed to I think is one of them. The best course of action for you is to go to their office off of HWY 49. Its on the left as you head down the canyon out of Auburn. Years ago several of us wanted to hunt the Hoggs diggings area but found that area was one of the areas they set off limits to detecting. You access this area out of the town of Cool, right off HWY49. He tried to explain the reasoning behind some of the closers of areas for various things as a way of dealing with over usage of areas as people using the park increases. As far as I know you can use a detector anywhere on the river above the confluence of the middle and north forks but I would still check with them at their office off HWY49. If you go to the area and can use your detector I would stick to the high benches, area where the river use to run. A lot of them look like old hydralic areas. Look for tailing piles. Hope this helps.

Wes

Metal Detectors

Metal Detectors may only be used at the Auburn State

Recreation Area under the following restrictions:

1. Metal detectors may only be used for recreational

mineral collection and/or searching for recent items.

2. Metal detectors may not be used in area possessing

historic or prehistoric resources.

3. No historic or prehistoric items discovered by

metal detection or otherwise, may be collected or

possessed.

4. The area west of Hwy. 49 in El Dorado County is

closed to the use of metal detectors

sO YOU CAN DETECT FOR GOLD... BUT YOU CANT TAKE OLD ITEMS, LIKE OLD SLUCIES ARE OLD GOLD PANS.

ok i talked to a ranger and yes you can detect on the placer county side at the upper lake and above. You just cant detect for items and dig huge holes. He said surface level is fine.

ok i talked to a ranger and yes you can detect on the placer county side at the upper lake and above. You just cant detect for items and dig huge holes. He said surface level is fine.

Fill your holes. Its important.

Fill your holes. Its important.

Did I ever tell ya bout the time.....I was drywash'n up at Red Mountain in a really hammered area. After dig'n for a couple hours....really easy dig'n, here come an old timer ask'n what I were do'n dig'n in a filled up hole. Couldn' t figger out why it was so easy to dig.

bill

"bask'n on da beach in port aransas"