Nugget Shooter Forums

X-terra 70 Yuma, Az

Hello,

New to the forum and to detecting. I recently purchase an X-terra 70 pro pack. I have gone out several times around here in Yuma and only finding LEAD. Does anyone have any advise for this detector or my area. The area has good history, but now the government has the best land and the rest is claimed up. Anything would help. Thanks.

You might join a club, keep trying and if you get desparate...rake down some drywash piles, both headers and tailings...

good luck

fred

There are no clubs here that I can find in Yuma. The have joined the GPAA, but that was just the other day and have not received any welcome kit yet. I have been researching the area for about a year and go out about every weekend. Most of the mines & tailing are claimed, private or on government land. Hard to get a break down here just starting out. Needed to be in the game about 20 years ago.

just low and slow, thats all you can do. Keep at it and it will work out for you.

Hey Larry Mann,

Like you I am a new guy. Like you I joined the GPAA. I did that on Mar 12 and rec'd my package on Mar30, so's ya know the time involved. I'm in Cornville, near Jerome.

Aside from swinging a used, beat up VLT (a very low-end model) in my back yard a year ago (one bent and rusty nail) I have not been into the field. I still have to buy a 'real' detector and I'm looking toward a SD2200 (be ready for me Bill, you'll be seeing me soon) as I head out on my adventure.

While I was waiting for the GPAA package I discovered the thread on this page re: BLM Mining Claims. And during the waiting period I spent a lot of time at that site, familiarizing myself with how to work it. It opens defaulted to Mining Claims. Use the enlarge tool (top tool bar) to grab an area you are interested in, and grab several times till you get a comfortable view. Also enhance the Mining Claims default (right column) to show Active Claims with Labels. Those labels let you enter the mine names to see claim reports which are somewhat useful. Get familiar with this, it will help you zero in on the GPAA claims. Learn to use the BLM tool. You are also well advised to check at the county recorder's office, or whatever county agency is responsible for claims registrations. Abandonded claims and mines on BLM land are generally open to your explorations. You might want to get to know the folks at the BLM office for Yuma. Look where gold's been found.

You should see the stacks of manila envelopes of different areas I plan to visit when I heal from my recent surgery.

I first arrived in Jerome in '71 to visit friends who had moved there (they're still there and still friends). I hiked the gulch one day and found a copper nugget just layin on the ground. Little did I know then. Man, if that BLM tool had been around then ...

Anyhow, at 67 I'll be starting a new chapter in my book of life as I apply all my research pretty soon and I feel really confident I'll find gold because of all the time I've spent reading all kinds of state and national geology/gold papers, forums such as this great site of Bill's and looking at maps and putting it all together, at least as best I can. I'm chompin at the bit to get the golden knowledge of experience to wash away the green. That's about all I can add about research, which is very important from everything I've read.

HTH

Good luck. Keep swinging, dig everything and pay attention to the signals and the ground's character (learn to read the land).

Keith

Welcome Larry,

In the Yuma area there is a small prospecting club , Jay Overlander is the president and meeting are held at his house and they have claims in the Laguna's Call Jay at 928-342-0532.

The SPMA has claims over at the potholes, I have did very well on them although they have been hammered no one can get it all, the gold there is rough, it is spotty, you will find 3 or 4 nuggets in a smll area and then nothing. The gold is eroding or eroded from small veinlets and the hill rose up through the Colorado river leaving placer also. Link : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spma2/?yguid=131021912

The SPMA has claims , New ones at Jackson Gultch too, you need to get with AZ Hal, he knows the area and I am sure will go with you, say hello to Hal & Jay from me.

Pic is Potholes gold.

Max

post-7251-1238816808_thumb.jpg

Welcome Larry,

In the Yuma area there is a small prospecting club , Jay Overlander is the president and meeting are held at his house and they have claims in the Laguna's Call Jay at 928-342-0532.

The SPMA has claims over at the potholes, I have did very well on them although they have been hammered no one can get it all, the gold there is rough, it is spotty, you will find 3 or 4 nuggets in a smll area and then nothing. The gold is eroding or eroded from small veinlets and the hill rose up through the Colorado river leaving placer also. Link : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spma2/?yguid=131021912

The SPMA has claims , New ones at Jackson Gultch too, you need to get with AZ Hal, he knows the area and I am sure will go with you, say hello to Hal & Jay from me.

Pic is Potholes gold.

Max

Thank you very much for the information. I sent Az Hal a PM after his post earlier in the day. It will be great to make contact with them. Thanks again.

I thank everyone for your input. Does anyone have experience on the X-Terra 70 nugget hunting? Wondering about default setting in prospecting mode. should I adjust these settings to favor my area?

Larry,

Take some time and read all you can over on the X-terra forum. Read the Faq Faq section by Barnacle Bill. You will glean all the information on prospecting with the 70 that you might want to know. That is one of the many forums that I read every day, plumb full of knowledge like this forum. Here is a link..............

http://www.findmall.com/list.php?55

Jim

I had a chance to use Tom T,s X-70 out on the LSD claims and was impressed with it preformance.

It is for sure light weight and easy to handle, I,ll be looking for one.

Max