Nugget Shooter Forums

Thanks Dean!

Guest bedrock bob

Guest bedrock bob

So, Dean made the mistake of going hunting with me again. After a long hunt I arrived back at my truck and managed to lock my keys inside. When Dean got back about 10 minutes later I was standing there looking rather stupid. Everything was locked in the truck. My detector, my water, my lunch, my coat... I couldnt even show him the neat little iron that I found.

Thanks for helping me out, man. If you hadn't been there to back me up I would have broken that window.

Here is that little piece. It looks like a steel raindrop.

Hi Bob,

That just proves the point that any find worth making, usually has an interesting story attached. Sometimes the stories are more interesting than we'd prefer. Still a nice find - kind of shaped like a finger that says" come here"......................

Ben

Guest bedrock bob
"... kind of shaped like a finger that says" come here"......................

Ben

You are a diplomat Ben. The other end is like.. er.... well...the other end looks just like a Johnson. I have found a Glorieta Phallusite.

Bob

Reminds me of the time Del, my dad and I walked several miles into the hot Warms Spring Wilderness at Franconia, only to find out my coils pooped out on me.... Sometime you just have to make the best of things.

Gorgeous siderite Bob.

[Erik]

While I have never understood the excitement, I am glad for your find!

After a long hunt I arrived back at my truck and managed to lock my keys inside.

________________________________________________________________________________

______

shhhh :brows: don't tell anyone :ph34r2: Keep them guessing :shrug:

jim "bones" :coffeetime: :outtahere:

So, Dean made the mistake of going hunting with me again. After a long hunt I arrived back at my truck and managed to lock my keys inside. When Dean got back about 10 minutes later I was standing there looking rather stupid. Everything was locked in the truck. My detector, my water, my lunch, my coat... I couldnt even show him the neat little iron that I found.

Thanks for helping me out, man. If you hadn't been there to back me up I would have broken that window.

Here is that little piece. It looks like a steel raindrop.

Bob,

Anytime my friend, you woulda done the same for me if I was in the same boat! Hey by the way, I know we were busy sorting out what we were gonna do that night but a huge congrats to you on your nice siderite! It sure has a lot of character and nice fusion crust!

OK, so here is my story for that day... only two hours into the day while swinging my detector like a mad man, I felt something different with my detector and before I knew it the thing broke in half right by the meter!! Needles to say I was pretty pissed and disappointed at the same time. I was lucky the wires did not cut. I grabbed the electrical tape from my back pack and two sticks from the ground and splinted the thing!! It worked OK and I continued to hunt finding a couple siderites! It was sent back to White's today. I lucked out cause it is still under warranty until Sept of this year.

Here are the pics of my splinted up detector and my very rusted siderite

Taped up detector

DSCF0005.jpg

Rusted siderite

DSCF0003.jpg

Congrats Bob!!

Dean

Glad to see you finally nailed one out there Bob! I had a feeling you would be posting something sooner or later from Glorieta because you've hunted for gold and fully understand how tenacious someone has to be for success in our hobby. Heck I even remember being around a campfire with Ben while we were both anticipating when you were going to find one and post it. He and I both agreed you definately have the right attitude for this hobby since you already have a background in prospecting.

I've noticed the guys who started out prospecting first usually do a very good job of cleaning out the strewn fields. I think this is because they've been exposed to and apply gold hunting techniques and are usually more patient and thorough. Now that you've got one under your belt watch out Glorietta!

Good luck out there because I'm sure your hooked now! I look forward to your future posts and the finds you will be scoring soon.

Del

Guest bedrock bob
Glad to see you finally nailed one out there Bob! I had a feeling you would be posting something sooner or later from Glorieta because you've hunted for gold and fully understand how tenacious someone has to be for success in our hobby. Heck I even remember being around a campfire with Ben while we were both anticipating when you were going to find one and post it. He and I both agreed you definately have the right attitude for this hobby since you already have a background in prospecting.

I've noticed the guys who started out prospecting first usually do a very good job of cleaning out the strewn fields. I think this is because they've been exposed to and apply gold hunting techniques and are usually more patient and thorough. Now that you've got one under your belt watch out Glorietta!

Good luck out there because I'm sure your hooked now! I look forward to your future posts and the finds you will be scoring soon.

Del

Thanks Del,

Actually I have found several tiny siderites out there. This one is by far the largest! The rest have been little slugs like oblong bb's. I began in earnet last year but I have been looking for that BIG one and have not been concentrating in the area where the bulk of the smaller material is. Last spring I put in hundreds of hours and found a big blister on my heel and a few little blobs. Came up on a bunch of guys and a girl digging up a whopper one day. Lights, camera, action. Sort of pissed me off although I dont really know why. Walked within a few feet of it a dozen times. I decided to concentrate on other things for a while and I am happy that I did.

This spring I decided to find some meteorites and went to Holbrook and found a few small ones. Glorieta is cool but I will still be concentrating on those "other things" this summer again. Dean is great to hunt with and he has convinced me to put some time into the search. Still, Glorieta is too crowded and too close to home. Gota get the pulse beating somehow.

My next goal is a big gobbler and a 26" rainbow. I spent all my mad money on a new Minelab so I will be tying a string on it and casting with the Joey Coil this weekend. The 11" DD that came with the machine will be used to beat a turkey to death in April. I sure hope I find a big nugget before elk season or I am going to have to use the Minelab again for that.

Bob

Guest bedrock bob
After a long hunt I arrived back at my truck and managed to lock my keys inside.

________________________________________________________________________________

______

shhhh :brows: don't tell anyone :ph34r2: Keep them guessing :shrug:

jim "bones" :coffeetime: :outtahere:

I wish there was an interesting story here. I got to the truck, opened the passenger door (I was parked on a hill) and had a snack, I threw all of the gear into the front seat, reached over and stuck my keys in the ignition, locked the door and shut it. The instant it closed I realized that I hadn't unlocked the driver's door yet.

Bob

Thanks Del,

Actually I have found several tiny siderites out there. This one is by far the largest! The rest have been little slugs like oblong bb's. I began in earnet last year but I have been looking for that BIG one and have not been concentrating in the area where the bulk of the smaller material is. Last spring I put in hundreds of hours and found a big blister on my heel and a few little blobs. Came up on a bunch of guys and a girl digging up a whopper one day. Lights, camera, action. Sort of pissed me off although I dont really know why. Walked within a few feet of it a dozen times. I decided to concentrate on other things for a while and I am happy that I did.

Yeah Bob, I can understand getting a little torqued when you see a whopper like that get unearthed. Especially when you put in a butt load of time out in the field and come home with nothing to show for your efforts. Then someone comes along who probably has no clue what they are doing with a detector and nails a meteorite most of us can only dream about. Unfortunately (and I'm sure you know this) thats just the way it goes amigo. That gal got her coil in the right place at the right time... no skill involved, just plain luck. I personally have never been one of those people who have luck like that and will always have to work hard for my finds. I guess thats why I appreciate each and every meteorite I find.

My next goal is a big gobbler and a 26" rainbow. I spent all my mad money on a new Minelab so I will be tying a string on it and casting with the Joey Coil this weekend. The 11" DD that came with the machine will be used to beat a turkey to death in April. I sure hope I find a big nugget before elk season or I am going to have to use the Minelab again for that.

The Joey coil is great for meteorite hunting but I'll tell you there's other coils that work well too. Most of the time I'm swinging a Nugget Finder 7" x 14" elliptical mono and I have nothing but good things to say about it. It's very sensitive (nailed 1/8 gram Gold Basin chondrites with it) and I'm confident it could probably do even better on meteorites that contain a lot of iron like Glorieta's. Another coil that works very well is the 11" x 17" Nugget Finder elliptical mono. Very good on depth and also a very sensitive coil. I've hunted meteorites with mine a few times and don't remember the smallest I found with it. However I nailed a 0.6 gram gold nugget (heard it loud and clear) with it and that was enough proof for me that it's very sensitive.

There's a few other things you can get for your SD that will improve it's capabilities. Look into a Detacc Signal Enhancer (increases sound from deep signals), a Coiltek Pocket Rocket (boosts the voltage), and Black Widow headphones (blocks out background noise). Essentially this is the same exact setup Uncle Ron uses and it works like a charm. I followed his advice last year after I bought an army green SD2100 and I ended up having the best run I've ever had in gold. Excellent setup!

Hope all this helps you find more, good luck out there!

Del

Hey Dean,

Nice-looking chunk in the picture. You are very resourceful, having had to make repairs in the field. Now I feel better about keeping electrical tape in my pack all these years. Hope you get you unit back soon. I think we'll be sending in our GMT for a small problem befor it becomes a big problem.

Ben

Guest bedrock bob
There's a few other things you can get for your SD that will improve it's capabilities. Look into a Detacc Signal Enhancer (increases sound from deep signals), a Coiltek Pocket Rocket (boosts the voltage), and Black Widow headphones (blocks out background noise). Essentially this is the same exact setup Uncle Ron uses and it works like a charm. I followed his advice last year after I bought an army green SD2100 and I ended up having the best run I've ever had in gold. Excellent setup!

Hope all this helps you find more, good luck out there!

Del

Funny you should mention this. That is EXACLTY the setup I wound up with from reading the posts and asking the pros. NF 11X14 coil (it is great, but the open design loads up with snow and makes it as heavy as the stock coil), as signal enhancer ( I have a "Doc's Gold Screamer", is there a big difference? The amp 'hums" pretty louldy but it does help boost small signals), a Coiltek 7.3 Li-Ion battery. What a deal! I couldn't imagine a better detector.

My lady friend is a seamstress and she made a harness for the unit to my specs. That gets all the weight off the arm. I also make custom poles for the coils so I have got that unit down to a science. It is so good that the small nuggets try to get away from it. They jump like fleas in the dirt out ahead of me as I move along.

Bob