Nugget Shooter Forums

Ahoy! I'm new to this forum, so I haven't any knowledge on historical archives that may already answer my question. Has anyone tried any of the placers in the Whetstones?..The area has proven tough for me to access due to lack of trails that will support the passage of a one ton dually....We'll only be in this area a few more days, but I'd like to hear from anyone on the potential. Thanks, Gary

Pyrate,

I've read that they found a little gold up there doing testing but I haven't been myself. I live in Sierra Vista, 20 miles south of the Whetstones. If I were you I'd either head to Greaterville or Ash Canyon. Ash Canyon is only about 20 minutes from the center of Sierra Vista. There's a GPAA claim there and you can find some gold. "Go where Gold has been found before".... From what I remember the Whetstones don't have ANY placer claims in them, at least not that I can recall from looking at the GeoCommunicator. There's a reason there's no placer claims there.

Greaterville is the best local in Southern AZ with lots of club claims. It's only an hour from Sierra Vista.

Just my :twocents: Hope this helps. If I can be of any assistance let me know.

Keith

Kieth, Thanks for the speedy reply..We went to Ash Canyon and the GPAA claim yesterday, but.....There was someone there with an elaborate highbanker and a truckload 'o water working the area. And I mean 'the area'....And the citizens think metal detectorists leave 'holes'! We are traveling with our 4 yr. old grandson, and the holes were many, large, and no apparent plan on filling anytime soon..too risky for the young'un.. Our native state is South Dakota, and I'm a retired Ironworker who has erected a large mine or two in my day, but that mess up there just inspired us to leave pronto..Went to Greaterville last Sunday for a look, got a late start, and by the time we were halfway back there over the washboards, the whole family was a bit on edge. Maybe we'll try tomorrow after mailtime at the P.O. We won't be in the area long enuff to attend a meeting of the Huachuca folks(would've liked to, 'tho)...We may try Ash Canyon again, and try to get above the digging mess....(they are sure having fun screwing up the taffic putting those culverts in on 92 south of Sierra Vista!)..Back to the Whetsone idea, we also looked at the communicator, and were basing our prospects on the USGS survey mentioned by Delos Toole in 'Where to find Ariz's placer gold. Thanks again, Gary

The Toole writings are all I have seen on the subject and that's what I was also basing my two cents on.

The GPAA claim looks like a war zone, I know, but that's only at that main area. Further "upstream" is where I go and it looks nothing like that mess. The place has been dug a lot but there's some pickers in there still. If you take the turn to the "main" part of the claim but then take a right just before the main claim. That little dirt path goes a little ways back and then crosses the stream. That area has been dug too (partly by me) BUT it's not as bad.

Greaterville is somewhere I just started going. The GPAA claims and Desert Gold Digger claims are not hard to get to and the roads aren't too bad.

I have to go pick up lunch. If I can be anymore help let me know.

Keith

Kieth, Thanks for the speedy reply..We went to Ash Canyon and the GPAA claim yesterday, but.....There was someone there with an elaborate highbanker and a truckload 'o water working the area. And I mean 'the area'....And the citizens think metal detectorists leave 'holes'! We are traveling with our 4 yr. old grandson, and the holes were many, large, and no apparent plan on filling anytime soon..too risky for the young'un.. Our native state is South Dakota, and I'm a retired Ironworker who has erected a large mine or two in my day, but that mess up there just inspired us to leave pronto..Went to Greaterville last Sunday for a look, got a late start, and by the time we were halfway back there over the washboards, the whole family was a bit on edge. Maybe we'll try tomorrow after mailtime at the P.O. We won't be in the area long enuff to attend a meeting of the Huachuca folks(would've liked to, 'tho)...We may try Ash Canyon again, and try to get above the digging mess....(they are sure having fun screwing up the taffic putting those culverts in on 92 south of Sierra Vista!)..Back to the Whetsone idea, we also looked at the communicator, and were basing our prospects on the USGS survey mentioned by Delos Toole in 'Where to find Ariz's placer gold. Thanks again, Gary

Hello Pyrate.

About those 'holes'...Huachuca Prospectors Association club members will be filling those holes at the next months outhing so when you come back to visit again you can ride your bikes there....you understand that it is a gold prospecting claim where people dig almost every day and sometimes you have to dig down 5-8 ft. to get to pay dirt.